Seasonal cycles in the germination capacity of buried seeds of some Leguminosae (Fabaceae)
Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2003
Volume 158, Issue 2, pages 315–323, May 2003
How to Cite
Van Assche, J. A., Debucquoy, K. L. A. and Rommens, W. A. F. (2003), Seasonal cycles in the germination capacity of buried seeds of some Leguminosae (Fabaceae). New Phytologist, 158: 315–323. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00744.x
- Issue online: 11 APR 2003
- Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2003
- Received: 14 October 2002 Accepted: 15 January 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00744.x
- 1944. A study of dormancy and germination of seeds of Cercis canadensis. Journal of Agricultural Research 69: 405–419. .
- 1958. Studies of dormancy in the seeds of subterranean clover (Trifolium subterraneum L.). Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 11: 246–260. .
- 1998. Seeds. Ecology, biogeography and evolution of dormancy and germination. New York, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2000. Evolutionary considerations of claims for physical dormancy-break by microbial action and abrasion by soil particles. Seed Science Research 10: 409–413. , .
- 1948. Physiological studies of weed seed germination. Plant Physiology 23: 467–484. .
- 1940. Factors influencing the germination of seed of Trifolium repens. Journal of the American Society of Agronomy 32: 731–738. .
- 1930. Effect of low temperatures on germination of impermeable seeds. Botanical Gazette 89: 169–178. .
- 1939. Influence of low temperature treatments on the germination of seeds of sweet clover and smooth vetch. Journal of the American Society of Agronomy 31: 687–694. .
- 1991. Seed dormancy in eastern redbud (Cercis canadensis). Journal of American Society Horticultural Science. 116: 85–88. .
- 1981. A comparative study of germination characteristics in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 69: 1017–1059. , , , , , , , .
- 1971. The action of temperature fluctuations on hard seeds of subterranean clover. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture and Animal Husbandry 11: 440–443. .
- 1932. Softening of the seeds of Melilotus alba. Botanical Gazette 93: 345–375. .
- 1998. Pre-germination temperature and the survivorship and onward growth of Mediterranean fire-following plant species. Acta Oecologica 19: 181–187. , .
- 1916. Agricultural value of impermeable seeds. Journal of Agricultural Research 6: 761–796. .
- 1998. Influence of heat on seed germination of seven Mediterranean Leguminosae species. Plant Ecology 136: 95–103. , , .
- 1945. Germination studies of sweet clover seed. Iowa State College Journal of Sciences 19: 289–300. .
- 1975. Germination response of legume seeds subjected to moist and dry heat. Ecology 56: 1441–1445. , , .
- 1994. A comparative study of the effects of fluctuations in temperature and moisture supply on hard coat dormancy in seeds of coastal tropical legumes in Mexico. Journal of Tropical Ecology 10: 67–86. , , .
- 1982. The dynamics of seed bank size and seed state of Medicago lupulina. Journal of Ecology 70: 537–547. , .
- 1988. Changes in Trifolium arvense seed quality following alternating temperature treatment using liquid nitrogen. Annals of Botany 62: 1–11. , , .
- 1971. Seed coat impermeability in legumes. The Journal of the Australian Institute of Agricultural Science 37: 283–295. .
- 1985. Seed survival and seasonal pattern of seedling emergence in some Leguminosae. Annals of Applied Biology 106: 125–132. , .
- 1978. Water impermeable seed dormancy. The Botanical Review 44: 365–396. .
- 1987. Fire and Acacia seeds: a hypothesis of colonization succes. Journal of Ecology 74: 937–946. , .
- 1981. Effect of constant temperature treatments followed by fluctuating temperatures on the softening of hard seeds of Trifolium subterraneum L. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 8: 547–558. .
- 1977. Seed germination in response to diurnal fluctuations of temperature. Nature 267: 147–149. , , .
- 1989. The role of temperature on the dormancy cycle of seeds of Rumex obtusifolius L. Functional Ecology 3: 107–115. , .