Rust haustoria: nutrient uptake and beyond
Article first published online: 8 APR 2003
Volume 159, Issue 1, pages 93–100, July 2003
How to Cite
Voegele, R. T. and Mendgen, K. (2003), Rust haustoria: nutrient uptake and beyond. New Phytologist, 159: 93–100. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00761.x
- Issue published online: 16 APR 2003
- Article first published online: 8 APR 2003
- Received: 19 November 2002 Accepted: 12 February 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00761.x
- 2002. A plant gene up-regulated at rust infection sites. Plant Physiology 129: 169–180. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Distribution of ATPase activity at the host–pathogen interfaces of rust infections. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 47: 67–82. , , .
- 1863. Recherches sur le développement de quelques champignons parasites. Annales des Sciences Naturelles, Partie Botanique 20: 5–148. .
- 1997. Haustorial ultrastructure and morphology of Melampsorella and Thekopsora areolata. Mycologia 89: 698–705. , .
- 2002. Aerial dispersal of pathogens on the global and continental scales and its impact on plant disease. Science 297: 537–541. , .
- 1972. Physiology of fungal haustoria. Annual Review of Phytopathology 10: 151–176. .
- 1981. Suppressors of defense reactions: a model for roles in specificity. Phytopathology 71: 1012–1014. , .
- 1996. Oxidative killing of Cryptococcus neoformans by human neutrophils. Evidence that fungal mannitol protects by scavenging reactive oxygen intermediates. Journal of Immunology 156: 3836–3840. , , .
- 1991. Differentiation-related proteins of the broad bean rust fungus Uromyces viciae-fabae, as revealed by high resolution two-dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. Archives of Microbiology 155: 191–198. , , .
- 2002. Developmentally regulated conversion of surface-exposed chitin to chitosan in cell walls of plant pathogenic fungi. New Phytologist 156: 103–112. , , , .
- 1985. Carbohydrate metabolism in biotrophic plant pathogens. Microbiological Science 2: 314–317. .
- 1991. Interactions of the nonhost French bean plant (Phaseolus vulgaris) parasitic and saprophytic fungi. IV. Effect of preinoculation with the bean rust fungus on growth of parasitic fungi nonpathogenic on beans. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 1642–1646. , .
- 1987. Dynamic experimental evidence for the plasma membrane ATPase domain hypothesis of haustorial transport and for ionic coupling of the haustorium of Erysiphe graminis to the host cell (Hordeum vulgare). New Phytologist 107: 541–548. , , .
- 1991. Rust basidiospore germlings and disease initiation. In: ColeGT, HochHC, eds. The fungal spore and disease initiation in plants and animals. New York, USA: Plenum Press, 67–99. , .
- 1997a. Fungal morphogenesis and enzyme secretion during pathogenesis. In: HartlebH, HeitefussR, HoppeH-H, eds. Resistance of crop plants against fungi Jena, Stuttgart, Lübeck, Ulm: Gustav Fischer, 33–57. , , , .
- 1997. Characterization of planta-induced rust genes isolated from a haustorium-specific cDNA library. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 10: 427–437. , .
- 1997b. A putative amino acid transporter is specifically expressed in haustoria of the rust fungus Uromyces fabae. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 10: 438–445. , , , , .
- 2000. Assimilate transport and partitioning in fungal biotrophic interactions. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 549–560. , .
- 1984. Structure and physiology of haustoria. In: BushnellWR, RoelfsAP, eds. The cereal rusts origins, specificity, structure, and physiology. Orlando, FL, USA: Academic Press, Inc, 431–476. , .
- 1991. Rust haustoria. In: MendgenK, LesemannD-E, eds. Electron microscopy of plant pathogens. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 235–250. , .
- 1999. Biotrophic interfaces and nutrient transport in plant/fungal symbioses. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1013–1022. .
- 1976. Ultrastructural and functional similarity of the haustorial neckband of rust fungi and the Casparian strip of vascular plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 54: 2484–2489. .
- 1990. Influence of carbohydrates on the induction of haustoria of the cowpea rust fungus in vitro. Experimental Mycology 14: 84–88. .
- 1997. Cellular interactions between plants and biotrophic fungal parasites. Advances in Botanical Research 24: 195–225. , .
- 1994. Soluble carbohydrates and invertase activity in stem rust-infected, resistant and susceptible near-isogenic wheat leaves. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 45: 111–123. , , .
- 1984. Polyol metabolism in fungi. Advances in Microbial Physiology 25: 149–193. .
- 2002. Constitutive expression of a celery mannitol dehydrogenase in tobacco enhances resistance to the mannitol-secreting fungal pathogen Alternaria alternata. Plant Journal 32: 41–49. , , , .
- 1998. Roles for mannitol and mannitol dehydrogenase in active oxygen-mediated plant defense. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 15129–15133. , , , .
- 1988. Cytochemical localization of ATPase activity in oat roots localizes a plasma membrane-associated soluble phosphatase, not the proton pump. Plant Physiology 86: 841–847. , , , .
- 2001. Is the infiltration-centrifugation technique appropriate for the isolation of apoplastic fluid? A critical evaluation with different plant species. Physiologia Plantarum 111: 457–465. , , , , .
- 1975. The activity of invertase and its relevance to the accumulation of storage polysaccharides in leaves infected by biotrophic fungi. New Phytologist 74: 173–182. , , , , .
- 1999. Induced accessibility and inaccessibility to Blumeria graminis f.sp. hordei in barley epidermal cells attacked by a compatible isolate. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 55: 151–162. , .
- 1989. The host–haustorium interface in powdery mildews. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 16: 45–52. .
- 1982. Transport, translocation and metabolism of 14C-photosynthates at the host–parasite interface of Pisum sativum and Erysiphe pisi. New Phytologist 91: 221–244. , .
- 1978. Genetic control of the 32P transfer from wheat to Erysiphe graminis f. sp. tritici during primary infection. Physiological Plant Pathology 13: 1–11. , .
- 1979. Microautoradiographic studies on host–parasite interactions. II. The exchange of 3H-lysine between Uromyces phaseoli and Phaseolus vulgaris. Archives of Microbiology 123: 129–135. .
- 1981. Nutrient uptake in rust fungi. Phytopathology 71: 983–989. .
- 2002. Plant infection and the establishment of fungal biotrophy. Trends in Plant Science 7: 352–356. , .
- 2000. Biotrophy and rust haustoria. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 56: 141–145. , , , .
- 2002. Ultrastructure of the host–pathogen interface in daylily leaves infected by the rust fungus Puccinia hemerocallidis. Protoplasma 219: 221–226. , , .
- 1853. Ueber die Traubenkrankheit. Botanische Zeitung 11: 585–590. .
- 2001. Carbohydrate metabolism in ectomycorrhizas: gene expression, monosaccharide transport and metabolic control. New Phytologist 150: 535–541. , , , .
- 1970. Their phosphatase controversy: Love's labours lost. Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 18: 916–917. .
- 1997. Global crop production and the efficacy of crop protection – current situation and future trends. European Journal of Plant Pathology 103: 203–215. , .
- 2001. Infection structures of biotrophic and hemibiotrophic fungal plant pathogens. Molecular Plant Pathology 2: 101–108. , .
- 1992. Plant and fungal invertases in grape berries infected with Botrytis cinerea. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 40: 181–189. , , .
- 2002. Immunodetection of Botrytis-specific invertase in infected grapes. Journal of Phytopathology 150: 76–85. , .
- 1998. Fungal endophytes: a continuum of interactions with host plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 29: 319–343. , , , .
- 2000. High level activation of vitamin B1 biosynthesis genes in haustoria of the rust fungus Uromyces fabae. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 629–636. , , , .
- 2000. Research on the rust fungi during the twentieth century. Annual Review of Phytopathology 38: 49–69. .
- 2001. Nutrients for a rust fungus: The role of haustoria. Trends in Plant Science 6: 496–498. .
- 2002. Characterization of a developmentally regulated amino acid transporter (AAT1p) of the rust fungus Uromyces fabae. Molecular Plant Pathology 3: 23–30. , , .
- 1996. Plasma membrane H+-ATPase activity in spores, germ tubes, and haustoria of the rust fungus Uromyces viciae-fabae Fungal Genetics Biology 20: 30–35. , , .
- 1998. The plasma membrane H+-ATPase from the biotrophic rust fungus Uromyces fabae: molecular characterization of the gene (PMA1) and functional expression of the enzyme in yeast. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 11: 458–465. , , , , .
- 1999. Invertases. Primary structures, functions, and roles in plant development and sucrose partitioning. Plant Physiology 121: 1–8. .
- 2001. Hidden robbers: The role of fungal haustoria in parasitism of plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 7654–7655. , .
- 1998. The plant invertases: Physiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology. Advances in Botanical Research 28: 71–117. , .
- 2001a. Invertase in Uromyces fabae. Madison, WI, USA: International. Society for Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions, 445. , , , .
- 2001b. The role of haustoria in sugar supply during infection of broad bean by the rust fungus Uromyces fabae. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 8133–8138. , , , .
- 2002. Ectomycorrhiza: gene expression, metabolism and the wood-wide web. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 355–361. , .
- 2000. Functional characterization of the Amanita muscaria monosaccharide transporter, AmMst1. Plant Biology 2: 278–282. , , , .
- 2001. Differential regulation of gene expression in the obligate biotrophic interaction of Uromyces fabae with its host Vicia faba. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 1319–1326. , , .