Woody plants, carbon allocation and fine roots
Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2003
Volume 158, Issue 3, pages 421–424, June 2003
How to Cite
Pregitzer, K. S. (2003), Woody plants, carbon allocation and fine roots. New Phytologist, 158: 421–424. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00766.x
- Issue online: 21 MAY 2003
- Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2003
- 2003. Source-sink balance and carbon allocation below ground in plants exposed to ozone. New Phytologist 157: 213–228. .
- 2003. Multiple risk factors in root survivorship: a four-year study in Concord grape. New Phytologist 158: 489–501. , , , .
- 2002. Root respiration in North American forests: effects of nitrogen concentration and temperature across biomes. Oecologia 131: 559–568. , , , , .
- 1992. The structure and dynamics of woody plant root systems. In: MitchellCP, Ford-RobertsonJB, HinkleyT, Sennery-ForsseL, eds. Ecophysiology of short rotation forest crops. New York, USA: Elsevier Applied Science, 95–123. , .
- 2000. Carbon isotope ratios in belowground carbon cycle processes. Ecological Applications 10: 412–422. , , .
- 2000. The control of carbon acquisition by roots. New Phytologist 147: 43–53. , .
- 2000. Water and nitrogen uptake patterns following moisture pulses in a cold desert community. Ecology 81: 1415–1424. , .
- 1988. Temporary disturbance of translocation of assimilates in Douglas firs caused by low levels of ozone and sulfur dioxide. Plant Physiology 88: 559–563. , .
- 2002. Leaf form and function – towards a radical new approach. New Phytologist 155: 317–320. .
- 1977. Population biology of plants. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 1992. The demography of fine roots in a northern hardwood forest. Ecology 73: 1094–1104. , .
- 1983. Distribution of 14C-labelled photosynthates within intensively cultured Populus clones during the establishment year. Physiological Plant 59: 9–18. , .
- 2000. Belowground consequences of vegetation change and their treatment in models. Ecological Applications 10: 470–483. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A global budget for fine root biomass, surface area, and nutrient contents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 7362–7366. , , .
- 1979. Turnover of carbohydrates in relation to growth in apple trees. II. Distribution of 14C assimilates labeled in autumn, spring and summer. Annals of Botany 44: 185–195. .
- 2002. Below-ground carbon input to soil is controlled by nutrient availability and fine root dynamics in loblolly pine. New Phytologist 154: 389–398. , , , , , .
- 2003. Performance of the forest productivity model 3-PG applied to a wide range of forest types. Forest Ecology and Management 172: 199–214. , , .
- 1998. Redistribution of 14C-labelled reserve carbon in Pinus sylvestris seedlings during shoot elongation. Silva Fennica 32: 3–10. .
- 1990. Carbohydrate reserves, translocation, and storage of woody plant roots. Horticultural Science 25: 274–281. , , .
- 1994. The role of deep roots in the hydrological and carbon cycles of Amazonian forests and pastures. Nature 372: 666–669. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Late-season changes in allocation of starch and sugar to shoots, coarse roots and fine roots in two hybrid poplar clones. Tree Physiology 7: 95–105. , , , .
- 2002. Fine roots of trees – a new perspective. New Phytologist 154: 267–270. .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 2000. Responses of tree fine roots to temperature. New Phytologist 147: 105–115. , , , .
- 1997. Relationships among root branch order, carbon, and nitrogen in four temperate species. Oecologia 111: 302–308. , , , .
- 1969. Mobilzation of 14V in the spring following autumn assimilation of 14CO2 by an apple rootstock. Journal of Horticultural Science 44: 107–110. .
- 1999. Generality of leaf trait relationships: a test across six biomes. Ecology 80: 1955–1969. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Importance of current photosynthate to new root growth in planted conifer seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 17: 776–782. .
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameters. Ecology 82: 882–892. , .
- 2002. Changes in the risk of fine root mortality with age: a case study in peach, Prunus perscia (Rosaceae). American Journal of Botany 89: 79–87. , , .
- 2002. Leaves at low versus high rainfall: coordination of structure, lifespan and physiology. New Phytologist 155: 403–416. , .