Rice root properties for internal aeration and efficient nutrient acquisition in submerged soil
Article first published online: 12 JUN 2003
Volume 159, Issue 1, pages 185–194, July 2003
How to Cite
Kirk, G. J. D. (2003), Rice root properties for internal aeration and efficient nutrient acquisition in submerged soil. New Phytologist, 159: 185–194. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00793.x
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2003
- Article first published online: 12 JUN 2003
- Received: 31 January 2003 Accepted: 7 April 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.0028-646x.2003.00793.x
- 2000. Modelling rice plant-mediated methane emission. Nutrient Cycling in Agro-Ecosystems 58: 221–230. , .
- 1979. Aeration in higher plants. In: WoolhouseHW, ed. Advances in botanical research , vol. 7. London, UK: Academic Press, 192–197. .
- 1990. Measurement and modelling of oxygen release from roots of Phragmites australis. In: CooperPF, ed. The Use of constructed wetlands in water pollution control. Oxford, UK: Pergammon Press, 41–51. , , .
- 1996. Pathways of aeration and the mechanisms and beneficial effects of humidity- and Venturi-induced convections in Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. ex Steud. Aquatic Botany 54: 177–198. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Internal aeration and the development of stelar anoxia in submerged roots. New Phytologist 105: 221–245. , .
- 1991. Modelling, and other aspects of root aeration by diffusion. In: JacksonMB, DaviesDD, LambersH, eds. Plant life under oxygen deprivation ecology, physiology and biochemistry. The Hague, Netherlands: SPB Academic Publishing, 267–282. , , , .
- 1988. On the relative importance of convective and diffusive gas-flows in plant aeration. New Phytologist 110: 463–468. , , , .
- 1991. Net oxygen and carbon dioxide balances in solutions bathing roots of wetland plants. Journal of Ecology 79: 943–959. , , .
- 1994. Root-induced iron oxidation and pH changes in the lowland rice rhizosphere. New Phytologist 128: 469–477. , , , .
- 2001a. Diffusive gas transport through flooded rice systems. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 106: 20861–20873. , , , , .
- 2001b. Methane oxidation and the competition for oxygen in the rice rhizosphere. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 3586–3597. , , , , .
- 2000. Stimulation by ammonium-based fertilizers of methane oxidation in soil around rice roots. Nature 403: 421–424. , , , .
- 2000. Scanning electron microscopy analysis of the aerenchyma in two rice cultivars. Phyton Annales Rei Botanicae 40: 43–55. , , .
- 1986. Ion transport to the xylem in aerenchymatous roots of Zea mays (L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 37: 22–33. , .
- 1993. Rhizospheric methane oxidation determined via the methyl-fluoride inhibition technique. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 98: 18413–18422. , .
- 1992. Plant-induced changes in the redox potential of rice rhizospheres. Plant and Soil 143: 55–60. , .
- 1998. In situ localization of two methanotrophic strains in the rhizosphere of rice plants. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 25: 117–128. , , , .
- 1996. Oxidation of methane in the rhizosphere of rice plants. Biology and Fertility of Soils 22: 359–366. , .
- 1971. The diffusion and consumption of oxygen in submerged soils. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings 35: 202–208. , .
- 2002. Infection and colonization of rice seedlings by the plant growth-promoting bacterium Herbaspirillum seropedicae Z67. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 894–906. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Root-induced iron oxidation, pH changes and zinc solubilization in the rhizosphere of lowland rice. New Phytologist 131: 129–137. , .
- Du Le Van. 1997. Changes in rice root architecture, porosity, and oxygen and proton release under phosphorus deficiency. New Phytologist 135: 191–200. ,
- 1994. Coupled diffusion and oxidation of ferrous iron in soils. III. Further development of the model and experimental testing. European Journal of Soil Science 45: 369–378. , .
- 1997. On the extent to which root properties and transport through the soil limit nitrogen uptake by lowland rice. European Journal of Soil Science 48: 613–621. , .
- 2000. Comparative kinetic analysis of ammonium and nitrate acquisition by tropical lowland rice: implications for rice cultivation and yield potential. New Phytologist 145: 471–476. , , , .
- 1998. Effects of hypoxia on 13NH4+ fluxes in rice roots: kinetics and compartmental analysis. Plant Physiology 116: 581–587. , , , .
- 1999. Nitrate-ammonium synergism in rice: a subcellular flux analysis. Plant Physiology 119: 1041–1045. , , , .
- 2002. Seasonal variation in pathways of CH4 production in rice fields determined by stable carbon isotopes and specific inhibitors. Global Change Biology 8: 265–280. , , , .
- 1970. Oxygen diffusion in the soil-plant system. I. A model. II. Respiration rate, permeability, and porosity of consecutive excised segments of maize and rice roots. Agronomy Journal 62: 317–324. , , .
- 1993. Science of the rice plant I morphology. Tokyo, Japan: Food and Agriculture Policy Research Center. , .
- 1985. Toxicities of wetland soils. wetland soils: characterization, classification, and utilization. Manila, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute, 123–138. , , , .
- 1998. Upper thresholds of nitrogen uptake rates and associated nitrogen fertilizer efficiencies in irrigated rice. Agronomy Journal 90: 178–185. , .
- 1980. Factors influencing oxygen consumption rates in flooded soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 44: 741–745. , , .
- 1995. Root-induced solubilization of phosphate in the rhizosphere of lowland rice. New Phytologist 129: 325–336. , .
- 1985. Numerical solution of partial differential equations: finite difference methods, 3rd edn. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 1994. On the difficulties of measuring oxygen release by root systems of wetland plants. Journal of Ecology 82: 177–183. , .
- 1988. Visualization of oxidizing power of rice roots and of possible participation of bacteria in iron deposition. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenernährung und Bodenkunde 151: 117–121. .