Photosynthetic capacity, integrated over the lifetime of a leaf, is predicted to be independent of leaf longevity in some tree species
Article first published online: 12 JUN 2003
Volume 159, Issue 1, pages 203–211, July 2003
How to Cite
Mediavilla, S. and Escudero, A. (2003), Photosynthetic capacity, integrated over the lifetime of a leaf, is predicted to be independent of leaf longevity in some tree species. New Phytologist, 159: 203–211. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00798.x
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2003
- Article first published online: 12 JUN 2003
- Received: 1 February 2003 Accepted: 28 March 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.0028-646x.2003.00798.x
- 1986. Population ecology. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications. , .
- 1994. Shedding of older needle age classes does not necessarily reduce photosynthetic primary production of Norway spruce. Trees 9: 51–59. , , .
- 1982. The ecology of leaf life spans. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 13: 229–259. , .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 2001. Regulation of leaf life-span and nutrient-use efficiency of Metrosideros polymorpha trees at two extremes of a long chronosequence in Hawaii. Oecologia 127: 198–206. , , , .
- 1998. Co-occurrence of trees with different leaf habit: a functional approach on Mediterranean oaks. Acta Oecologica 19: 195–204. , , .
- 1983. Compromises between water use efficiency and nitrogen use efficiency in five species of California evergreens. Oecologia 60: 384–389. , , .
- 1983. Leaf age and seasonal effects on light, water, and nitrogen use efficiency in a California shrub. Oecologia 56: 348–355. , .
- 1986. The photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: GivnishTJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 2000. Water stress responses of seedlings of four Mediterranean oak species. Tree Physiology 20: 1065–1075. , , .
- 1993. Canopy dynamics and aboveground production of five tree species with different leaf longevities. Tree Physiology 12: 327–345. , , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic nutrient-use efficiency in three fast-growing tropical trees with differing leaf longevities. Tree Physiology 20: 937–944. .
- 1983. The photosynthetic capacity, nutrient content and nutrient use efficiency of different needle age-classes of black spruce (Picea mariana) found in interior Alaska. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 13: 834–839. , .
- 1991. A cost-benefit analysis of leaf habit and leaf longevity of trees and their geographical pattern. American Naturalist 138: 1250–1263. .
- 1995. Leaf phenology as an optimal strategy for carbon gain in plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 73: 158–163. .
- 1999. Significance of leaf longevity in plants. Plant Species Biology 14: 39–45. , .
- 1997. Decline of photosynthetic capacity with leaf age in relation to leaf longevities for five tropical canopy tree species. American Journal of Botany 84: 702–708. , , .
- 2000. Leaf-level resource use for evergreen and deciduous conifers along a resource availability gradient. Functional Ecology 14: 281–292. , , , .
- 2000. Differences in leaf gas exchange and water relations among species and tree sizes in an Arizona pine-oak forest. Tree Physiology 20: 1–12. , .
- 1999. Photosynthesis and stomatal conductance of mature canopy Oak (Quercus robur) and Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) trees throughout the growing season. Functional Ecology 13: 332–342. , .
- 1999. Competitive strategies for water availability in two Mediterranean Quercus species. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 109–116. , , .
- 1997. Needle CO2 exchange, structure and defense traits in relation to needle age in Pinus heldreichii Christ – a relict of Tertiary flora. Trees 12: 82–89. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Photosynthetic nitrogen use efficiency of species that differ inherently in specific leaf area. Oecologia 116: 26–37. , .
- 1993. Reconciling apparent discrepancies among studies relating life span, structure and function of leaves in contrasting plant life forms and climates: ‘the blind men and the elephant retold’. Functional Ecology 7: 721–725. .
- 1999. Generality of leaf trait relationships: a test across six biomes. Ecology 80: 1955–1969. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Different photosynthesis-nitrogen relations in deciduous hardwood and evergreen coniferous tree species. Oecologia 104: 24–30. , , , .
- 1991a. Leaf lifespan as a determinant of leaf structure and function among 23 Amazonian tree species. Oecologia 86: 16–24. , , , .
- 1991b. Leaf age and season influence the relationships between leaf nitrogen, leaf mass per area and photosynthesis in maple and oak trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 251–259. , , , .
- 1992. Leaf life-span in relation to leaf, plant and stand characteristics among diverse ecosystems. Ecological Monographs 62: 365–392. , , .
- 1997. From tropics to tundra: global convergence in plant functioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 24: 13730–13734. , , .
- 1977. Spatial distribution of photosynthetic capacity and performance in a mountain spruce forest of northern Germany. Oecologia 30: 239–248. , , .
- 1972. Photosynthetic rates in relation to nitrogen recycling as an adaptation to nutrient deficiency in peat bog plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 50: 2227–2233. .
- 1994. Leaf age effects on photosynthetic rate, transpiration rate and nitrogen content in a tropical dry forest. Physiologia Plantarum 90: 210–215. .
- 1993. Photosynthesis and transpiration of evergreen Mediterranean and deciduous trees in an ecotone during a growth season. Acta Oecologica 14: 341–360. .
- 2000. Trade-offs between the persistence of foliage and productivity in two Pinus species. Oecologia 124: 487–494. , .
- 2000. The time value of leaf area. American Naturalist 155: 649–656. , , .