Resistance to plant pathogens: possible roles for free polyamines and polyamine catabolism
Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2003
Volume 159, Issue 1, pages 109–115, July 2003
How to Cite
Walters, D. (2003), Resistance to plant pathogens: possible roles for free polyamines and polyamine catabolism. New Phytologist, 159: 109–115. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00802.x
- Issue online: 30 MAY 2003
- Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2003
- Received: 27 February 2003 Accepted: 11 April 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00802.x
- 1993. Involvement of polyamines, diamine oxidase and peroxidase in resistance of chick-pea to Ascochyta rabiei. Journal of Plant Physiology 142: 704–709. , , , , .
- 1989. Histochemical evidence of polyamine oxidation and generation of hydrogen peroxide in the cell wall. Journal of Plant Physiology 135: 212–217. , .
- 2001. Biosynthesis oxidation and conjugation of aliphatic polyamines in higher plants. Amino Acids 20: 301–317. , .
- 1996. Megaspore abortion: a consequence of selective apoptosis? International Journal of Plant Science 157: 1–7. .
- 1997. The plant cell wall is altered by inhibitors of polyamine biosynthesis. New Phytologist 137: 569–577. , , , , , .
- 1997. Localization of hydrogen peroxide accumulation during the hypersensitive reaction of lettuce cells to Pseudomonas syringae pv. phaseolicola. Plant Cell 9: 209–221. , , , .
- 1987. Hydrolytic enzymes in plant disease resistance. In: KusugeT, NesterEW, eds. Plant–microbe interactions: molecular and genetic perspectives, Vol. II. New York, USA: Macmillan, 247–262. .
- 1993. Dynamic aspects of the plant extracellular matrix. International Review of Cytology 146: 261–324. .
- 2002. The apoplastic oxidative burst in response to biotic stress in plants: a three-component system. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1367–1376. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The origin of the oxidative burst in plants. Free Radical Research 23: 517–532. , , , .
- 2002. Hydrogen peroxide plays a critical role in the defence response of tomato to Cladosporium fulvum. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 61: 227–236. , .
- 1997. The molecular biology of leaf senescence. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 181–199. .
- 2001. Apoptotic signaling in polyamine analogue-treated SK-MEL-28 human melanoma cells. Cancer Research 61: 6437–6444. , , , , .
- 1993. Involvement of reactive oxygen species in the induction of systemic acquired resistance by salicylic acid in plants. Science 262: 1883–1886. , , .
- 1996. The cell death machine. Current Biology 6: 555–562. , .
- 1994. Apoptosis – Molecular control point in toxicity. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 128: 169–181. , , , , , , .
- 2002a. Polyamine metabolism in barley reacting hypersensitively to the powdery mildew fungus Blumeria graminis f. sp. hordei. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 461–468. , .
- 2002b. Polyamine Metabolism in an Incompatible Interaction Between Barley and the Powdery Mildew Fungus, Blumeria graminis f. sp. hordei. Journal of Phytopathology 150: 1–7. , .
- 1990. Mechanism of hypersensitive cell collapse: Correlation of increased lipoxygenase activity with membrane damage in leaves of Phaseolus vulgaris (L.) inoculated with an avirulent race of Pseudomonas syringae pv. phaseolicola. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 36: 49–62. , , .
- 1998. Proteases to die for. Genes and Development 12: 1551–1570. , .
- 1987. In vitro interactions between polyamines and pectic substances. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 148: 1159–1163. , .
- 1999. Salicylic acid and disease resistance in plants. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 18: 547–575. , , .
- 1986. The phytoalexin response: elicitation, signalling, and control of host gene expression. Biological Reviews 61: 239–291. .
- 1996. Plant and human neutrophil oxidative burst complexes contain immunologically related proteins. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1289: 231–237. , , , .
- 1991. Mechanisms and functions of cell-death. Annual Review of Cell Biology 7: 663–698. , , .
- 1986. Occurrence of diamine oxidase in the apoplast of pea epicotyls. Planta 167: 300–303. , .
- 1976. Lignification in infected tissue. In: FriendJ, ThrelfallDR, eds. Biochemical aspects of plant-parasite relationships. New York, USA: Academic Press, 291–303. .
- 1998. Mitochondria and apoptosis. Science 281: 1309–1318. , .
- 1994. Programmed cell death in plants: a pathogen-triggered response activated coordinately with multiple defense functions. Cell 77: 551–563. , , , .
- 1997. Programmed cell death of plant tracheary elements differentiating in vitro. Protoplasma 196: 197–211. , , , .
- 1997. The role of polyamine catabolism in polyamine analogue–induced programmed cell death. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 11557–11562. , , , .
- 1996. Apoptosis: molecular regulation of cell death. European Journal of Biochemistry 236: 1–26. , , , , , , .
- 1997. The fungicidal diamine (E)-(N,N,N,N-tetraethyl)-1,4-diaminobut-2-ene increases spermine concentration in the late blight fungus Phytophthora infestans. Letters in Applied Microbiology 25: 229–232. , , .
- 1989. A comparison of fungal growth and plant responses in cowpea and bean cultivars inoculated with urediospores and basidiospores of the cowpea rust fungus. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 34: 415–426. .
- 1998a. Apoptosis, programmed cell death and the hypersensitive response. European Journal of Plant Pathology 104: 117–124. .
- 1998b. Involvement of reaction oxygen species in the response of resistant (hypersensitive) or susceptible cowpeas to the cowpea rust fungus. New Phytologist 138: 251–263. .
- 2000. Hypersensitive response-related cell death. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 321–334. .
- 1997. Plant nuclear migrations as indicators of critical interactions between resistant or susceptible cowpea epidermal cells and invasion hyphae of the cowpea rust fungus. New Phytologist 135: 689–700. , , .
- 1997. Cellular interactions between plants and biotrophic fungal parasites. Advances in Botanical Research 24: 195–225. , .
- 2002. Resistance to fungal pathogen triggered by the Cf9-Avr9 response in tomato and oilseed rape in the absence of hypersensitive cell death. Molecular Plant Pathology 3: 31–41. , , .
- 2000. An HR-induced tobacco peroxidase gene is responsive to spermine, but not to salicylate, methyl jasmonate, and ethephon. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 210–216. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Rapid induction of apoptosis by deregulated uptake of polyamine analogues. Biochemical Journal 328: 307–316. , .
- 2003. The mediation of defence responses of ginseng cells to an elicitor from cell walls of Colletotrichum lagenarium by plasma membrane NAD (P) H oxidases. Acta Botanica Sinica 45: 32–39. , , , , .
- 1988. DNA damage and oxygen radical toxicity. Science 240: 1302–1304. , .
- 1987. Some aspects of calcium-dependant regulation in plant metabolism. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 38: 47–92. .
- 1998. A plant homolog of the neutrophil NADPH oxidase gp91phox subunit gene encodes a plasma membrane protein with Ca2+ binding motifs. Plant Cell 10: 255–266. , , , , , .
- 2000. The presence and subcellular localization of caspase-3 like proteases in plant cells. FEBS Letters 475: 139–144. , , , , .
- 2000. Caspase-like protease involvement in the control of plant cell death. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 417–428. , .
- 1994. H2O2 from the oxidative burst orchestrates the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Cell 79: 583–593. , , , .
- 1996. The oxidative burst in plant defense: Function and signal transduction. Physiologiaplantarum 96: 533–542. , .
- 1995. Apoptosis, Oncosis, and Necrosis – An overview of cell-death. American Journal of Pathology 146: 3–15. , .
- 1990. Recognition and response in plant–fungus interactions. In: FraserRSS, ed. Recognition and response in plant–virus interactions. Berlin, Germay: Springer-Verlag, 31–52. .
- 1997. Phenotypic expression of gene–for–gene interactions involving fungal and bacterial pathogens: Variation from recognition to response. In: CruteIR, HolubEB, eds. The gene-for-gene relationships in host–parasite interactions. London, UK: CAB International, 265–291. , , , .
- 2001. Polyamine metabolism is upregulated in response to tobacco mosaic virus in hypersensitive, but not in susceptible, tobacco. New Phytologist 149: 301–309. , , , , .
- 1997. Conjugated polyamines and reproductive development: Biochemical, molecular and physiological approaches. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 675–688. .
- 2002. H2O2 plays different roles in determining penetration failure in three diverse plant–fungal interactions. Plant Journal 29: 257–268. , , , .
- 1998. Developmental expression and biochemical analysis of the Arabidopsis atao1 gene encoding an H2O2-generating diamine oxidase. Plant Journal 13: 781–791. , .
- 1998. Polyamine depletions protects HL-GO cells from 2-deoxy-D-ribose-induced apoptosis. Life Science 62: 799–806. , , , , , .
- 1997. The hypersensitive response and the induction of cell death in plants. Cell Death and Differentiation 4: 671–683. , .
- 1984. Ornithine decarboxylase activity and the hypersensitive reaction of tobacco to tobacco mosaic virus in Nicotiana tabacum. Phytochemistry 23: 2747–2751. , , .
- 2002. Exogenous salicylic acid increases polyamine content but may decrease drought tolerance in maize. Plant Science 162: 569–574. , , , , .
- 2003. Activity of enzymes related to H2O2 generation in leaf apoplastic fraction of tomato leaves infected with Botrytis cinerea. Journal of Phytopathology 151: 153–161. , .
- 1992. Peroxidase-generated hydrogen peroxide as a source of antifungal activity in vitro and on tobacco leaf discs. Phytopathology 82: 696–699. , .
- 1995. Induction of apoptosis by excessive polyamine accumulation in ornithine decarboxylase overproducing L1210 cells. Biochemical Journal 311: 723–727. , , .
- 1999. The hypersensitive response: a case of hold or fold? Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 55: 9–12. , .
- 2001. Caspase inhibitors reduce symptom development and limit bacterial proliferation in susceptible plant tissues. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 59: 213–221. , , , .
- 2001. FAD-containing polyamine oxidases: a timely challenge for researchers in biochemistry and physiology of plants. Plant Science 160: 197–207. , , , , , .
- 2002. The plasma membrane oxidase NtrbohD is responsible for AOS production in elicited tobacco cells. Plant Journal 31: 137–147. , , .
- 1915. Relation between Puccinia graminis and plants highly resistant to its attack. Journal of Agricultural Research 4: 193–199. .
- 1998. Spermine causes caspase activation in leukaemia cells. FEBS Letters 437: 233–236. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Spermine triggers the activation of caspase-3 in a cell-free model of apoptosis. FEBS Letters 451: 95–98. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Effect of polyamine depletion on caspase activation: a study with spermine synthase-deficient cells. Biochemical Journal 355: 199–206. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Caspase activation in etoposide-treated fibroblasts is correlated to ERK phosphorylation and both events are blocked by polyamine depletion. FEBS Letters 527: 223–228. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Mechanisms and genes of cellular suicide. Science 10: 1445–1449. .
- 1997. Systemic acquired resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 35: 235–270. , , .
- 1997. Subcellular localization of H2O2 in plants, H2O2 accumulation in papillae and hypersensitive response during barley–powdery mildew interaction. Plant Journal 11: 1187–1194. , , , .
- 1998. Caspases: enemies within. Science 281: 1312–1316. , .
- 1998. Six Arabidopsis thaliana homologues of the human respiratory burst oxidase (gp91phox). Plant Journal 14: 365–370. , , , , , .
- 1997. Polyamine synthesis and accumulation in the hypersensitive response to TMV in Nicotiana tabacum. New Phytologist 135: 467–473. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Early H2O2 accumulation in mesophyll cells leads to induction of glutathione during the hypersensitive response in the barley–powdery mildew interaction. Plant Physiology 123: 1289–1300. , , .
- 1996. The Molecular biology of apoptosis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 2239–2244. , .
- 2000. Polyamines in plant–microbe interactions. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 57: 137–146. .
- 2002. Methyl jasmonate alters polyamine metabolism and induces systemic protection against powdery mildew infection in barley seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 747–756. , , .
- 2002. Fatty acid-derived signals in plants. Trends in Plant Science 7: 217–224. .
- 1997. Oxidative burst: an early plant response to pathogen infection. Biochemical Journal 322: 681–692. .
- 2003. Enhanced transcription of the Arabidopsis disease resistance genes RPW8.1 and RPW8.2 via a salicylic acid-dependent amplification circuit is required for hypersensitive cell death. Plant Cell 15: 33–45. , , , , .
- 1997. Loss of intracellular putrescine pool-size regulation induces apoptosis. Experimental Cell Research 230: 386–392. , , .
- 1998. Spermine is a salicylate-independent endogenous inducer for both tobacco acidic pathogenesis-related proteins and resistance against tobacco mosaic virus infection. Plant Physiology 118: 1213–1222. , , , .