Long-term impacts of simulated climatic change on secondary metabolism, thallus structure and nitrogen fixation activity in two cyanolichens from the Arctic
Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2003
Volume 159, Issue 2, pages 361–367, August 2003
How to Cite
Bjerke, J. W., Zielke, M. and Solheim, B. (2003), Long-term impacts of simulated climatic change on secondary metabolism, thallus structure and nitrogen fixation activity in two cyanolichens from the Arctic. New Phytologist, 159: 361–367. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00812.x
- Issue online: 18 JUN 2003
- Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2003
- Received: 9 April 2003 Accepted: 24 April 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00812.x
- 1997. Effects of solar ultraviolet radiation at high altitude on the physiology and the biochemistry of a terricolous lichen (Cetraria islandica (L.) Ach.). Symbiosis 23: 197–217. , .
- 2001. Usnic acid and atranorin concentrations in lichens in relation to bands of UV irradiance. Bryologist 104: 134–140. , .
- 1990. Experiments on lichen growth. I. Seasonal patterns and environmental controls. Arctic and Alpine Research 22: 244–254. .
- 2002. Effects of ultraviolet radiation and PAR on the content of usnic and divaricatic acids in two arctic-alpine lichens. Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences 1: 678–685. , , .
- 2002. Effects of UV-B radiation on terrestrial organisms and ecosystems with special reference to the Arctic. In: HessenDO, ed. UV radiation and arctic ecosystems . Ecological studies 153. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag, 93–121. .
- 2002. UV-induced changes in pigment content and light penetration in the fruticose lichen Cladonia arbuscula ssp. mitis. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology 66: 13–20. , , .
- 1995. Modelling Arctic climate change. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences 352: 201–213. , .
- 1998. Nutrient exchange in an Antarctic macrolichen during summer snowfall-snow melt events. New Phytologist 139: 697–707. .
- 1997. Tundra diversity and ecological characteristics of Svalbard. In: WielgolaskiFE, ed. Polar and alpine tundra. Ecosystems of the World, 3. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier, 347–359. .
- 1999. Impacts of enhanced ultraviolet-B radiation on mosses in subarctic heath ecosystems. Ecology 80: 1844–1851. .
- 1995. Two new sorediate taxa of Peltigera. Lichenologist 27: 43–58. , .
- 1991. Ecophysiological adaptations of the lichen genera Pseudocyphellaria and Sticta to south temperate rainforests. Lichenologist 23: 267–282. , .
- 1999. UV-B impacts and interactions with other co-occurring variables of environmental change: an arctic perspective. In: RozemaJ, ed. Stratospheric ozone depletion; the effects of enhanced UV-B radiation on terrestrial ecosystems. Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 187–201. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Climate warming and disease risks for terrestrial and marine biota. Science 296: 2158–2162. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Ecosystem vulnerability to climate change in Greenland and the Faroe Islands. Miljønyt 33: 1–266. , .
- 2002. Effects of pubescence and waxes on the reflectance of leaves in the ultraviolet and photosynthetic wavebands: a comparison of a range of species. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 85–93. , .
- 2001. Seasonal trends in nitrogen status of Antarctic lichens. Annals of Botany 86: 717–721. .
- 2001. Field research on the effects of UV-B filters on terrestrial Antarctic vegetation. Plant Ecology 154: 77–86. , , .
- 1999. The significance of lichens and their metabolites. Naturwissenschaften 86: 559–570. .
- 1996. Identification of lichen substances. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag. , .
- 1995. The effects of enhanced UV-B radiation on subarctic heath ecosystems. Ambio 24: 106–111. , , , , .
- 1999. Lichen metabolites. 2. Antiproliferative and cytotoxic activity of gyrophoric, usnic, and diffractaic acid on human keratinocyte growth. Journal of Natural Products 62: 821–823. , .
- 1997. The role of bryophytes and lichens in polar ecosystems. In: WoodinSJ, MarquissM, eds. Ecology of arctic environments. Special publication no. 13 of the British Ecological Society. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science, 69–96. .
- 2001. The effects of altered levels of UV-B radiation on an Antarctic grass and lichen. Plant Ecology 154: 89–99. , , , .
- 1997. Open-top design for manipulating field temperature in high latitude. Global Change Biology 3: 20–32. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Changes in biologically active ultraviolet radiation reaching the Earth's surface. Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences 2: 5–15. , , , .
- 2001. Pharmaceutically relevant metabolites from lichens. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 56: 9–16. .
- 1995. Climate change and the ecophysiological response of arctic lichens. Lichenologist 27: 559–565. III, .
- 2000. Stratospheric ozone depletion, UV-B radiation and crop disease. Environmental Pollution 108: 343–355. .
- 1995. What's behind the pretty colours? A study on the photobiology of lichens. Bryobrothera 4: 1–239. .
- 2001. A meta-analysis of plant field studies simulating stratospheric ozone depletion. Oecologia 127: 1–10. , , .
- 1981. Ecologically linked variation in morphology and physiology in Pseudocyphellaria dissimilis. New Phytologist 87: 403–411. , .
- 2003. UV-induction of sun-screening pigments in lichens. New Phytologist 158: 91–100. , , , .
- 2002. The nitrogen fixation potential of arctic cryptogram [sic.] species is influenced by enhanced UV-B radiation. Oecologia 133: 90–93. , , , , , .
- 1995. Short-term effects of enhanced UV-B and CO2 on lichens at different latitudes. Lichenologist 27: 547–557. , , .
- 1996. Effects of enhanced ultraviolet radiation and carbon dioxide concentration on the moss Hylocomium splendens. Global Change Biology 2: 67–73. , , .
- 1967. In situ studies on N2 fixation using acetylene reduction technique. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 58: 2071–2078. , , .
- 1990. Thallus formation of the cyanobacterial lichen Peltigera didactyla from soredia under laboratory conditions. Botanica Acta 103: 315–321. , .
- 1997. Effects of ultraviolet on polyphenolics of Umbilicaria americana. Canadian Journal of Botany 75: 284–289. , .
- 1994. Taxonomic revision of Peltigera (lichenized Ascomycotina) in Europe. Acta Botanica Fennica 152: 1–96. .
- 2000. The weather and climate of the Arctic. In: NutallM, CallaghanTV, eds. The Arctic: environment, people, policy. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Harwood Academic Publishers, 143–160. .
- 2002. The influence of abiotic factors on biological nitrogen fixation in different types of vegetation in the High Arctic, Svalbard. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research 34: 293–299. , , , , .