Resource availability affects investment in carnivory in Drosera rotundifolia
Article first published online: 18 JUN 2003
Volume 159, Issue 2, pages 507–511, August 2003
How to Cite
Thorén, L. M., Tuomi, J., Kämäräinen, T. and Laine, K. (2003), Resource availability affects investment in carnivory in Drosera rotundifolia. New Phytologist, 159: 507–511. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00816.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUN 2003
- Article first published online: 18 JUN 2003
- Received: 16 January 2003 Accepted: 2 May 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00816.x
- 1983. Effects of insect trapping on growth and nutrient content of Pinguicula vulgaris L. in relation to the nutrient content of the substrate. New Phytologist 93: 53–59. , , .
- 1984. High-performance gas chromatography of 1,4-naphthoquinones from Droseraceae. Chromatographia 18: 621–622. , , , , .
- 1998. Effects of competition and litter on a carnivorous plant, Drosera capillaris (Droseraceae). American Journal of Botany 85: 1592–1596. .
- 1983. Carbon/nutrient balance of boreal plants in relation to vertebrate history. Oikos 40: 357–368. , ,
- 1990. Biological flora of the British Isles. Journal of Ecology 78: 233–267. , , , .
- 1875. Insectivorous plants. London, UK: Murray. .
- 2001. Evolutionary ecology of carnivorous plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 623–629. , .
- 2002. Nitrogen availability alters the expression of carnivory in the northern pitcher plant, Sarracenia purpurea. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 4409–4412. , .
- 1993. Phytochemical dictionary. London, UK: Taylor & Francis Ltd. , .
- 1989. The carnivorous plants. London, UK: Academic Press. , , .
- 2003. Regional and habitat differences in 7-methyljuglone content of Finnish Drosera rotundifolia. Phytochemistry 63: 309–314. , , , , .
- 1991. The effect of soil nutrient status on prey utilization in four carnivorous plants. Oecologia 86: 1–7. , , , .
- 1996. The significance of carnivory for three Pinguicula species in a subarctic environment. Ecological Bulletin 45: 115–120. , , .
- 1992. Costs of carnivory in the common bladderwort, Utricularia macrorhiza. Oecologia 89: 348–355. .
- 1998. Regulation of woody plant secondary metabolism by resource availability: hypothesis testing by means of meta-analyses. Oikos 83: 212–226. , , , .
- 1991. The role of carnivory in the growth and reproduction of Drosera filiformis and D. rotundifolia. Bulletin of Torrey Botanical Club 118: 12–19. , .
- 1999. Costs and benefits of carnivory in plants: insights from the photosynthetic performance of four carnivorous plants in a subarctic environment. Oikos 86: 105–112. , .
- 2003. The contribution of insect prey to the total nitrogen content of sundews (Drosera spp.) determined in situ by stable isotope analysis. New Phytologist 158: 527–534. , , .
- 2002. Nepenthes insignis uses a C2-portion of the carbon skeleton of l-alanine acquired via its carnivorous organs, to build up the allelochemical plumbagin. Phytochemistry 59: 603–609. , , .
- 1977. Physical and chemical properties of the mucin secreted by Drosera capensis. Phytochemistry 16: 1365–1368. , .
- 1979. Carnivorous plants. London, UK: Ebury Press. .
- 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. New York, NY, USA: WH Freeman. , .
- 1995. Competition between Sphagnum fuscum and Drosera rotundifolia: a case of ecosystem engineering. Oikos 74: 205–212. .
- 1998. Effects of supplementary feeding on growth and reproduction of three carnivorous plant species in a subarctic environment. Journal of Ecology 86: 501–510. , .
- 1997. Responses of a carnivorous plant to prey and inorganic nutrients in a Mediterranean environment. Oecologia 111: 443–451. , , .
- 1998. Fitness responses of a carnivorous plant in contrasting ecological scenarios. Ecology 79: 1630–1644. , , .