Nonstomatal limitations are responsible for drought-induced photosynthetic inhibition in four C4 grasses
Version of Record online: 24 JUL 2003
Volume 159, Issue 3, pages 599–608, September 2003
How to Cite
Ghannoum, O., Conroy, J. P., Driscoll, S. P., Paul, M. J., Foyer, C. H. and Lawlor, D. W. (2003), Nonstomatal limitations are responsible for drought-induced photosynthetic inhibition in four C4 grasses. New Phytologist, 159: 599–608. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00835.x
- Issue online: 24 JUL 2003
- Version of Record online: 24 JUL 2003
- Received: 18 March 2003 Accepted: 14 May 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00835.x
- 2000. Biochemical models of leaf photosynthesis. Melbourne, Australia: CSIRO Publishing. .
- 1999. The modelling of C4 photosynthesis. In: SageRF, MonsonRK, eds. C4 plant biology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 173 – 211. , .
- 2001. Responses of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase, protein content, and stomatal conductance to water deficit in maize, tomato, and bean. Photosynthetica 39: 221 – 226. , , , , .
- 1996. Effect of water stress on pyruvate, Pi dikinase and phosphoenol pyruvate carboxylase activities in the leaves of two cultivars of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L.). Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 176: 59 – 69. , , , .
- 1994. Drought stress and high light effects on leaf photosynthesis. In: BakerNR, BowyerJR, eds. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis. from molecular mechanisms to the field. Oxford, UK: BIOS. Scientific Publishers, 297 – 313. .
- 2001. Drought stress inhibits photosynthesis by decreasing stomatal aperture – not affecting ATP synthesis. Trends in Plant Science 5: 187 – 188. .
- 1981. Coping with water stress. In: PateJS, McCombAJ, eds. The Biology of australian plants. Nedlands, Australia: University of Western Australia Press, 1 – 30. .
- 1996. Effects of water stress on carbon exchange rate and activities of photosynthetic enzyme in leaves of sugarcane (Saccharum sp.). Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 23: 719 – 726. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. C4 photosynthesis, atmospheric CO2 and climate. Oecologia 112: 285 – 299. , , .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78 – 90. , , .
- 1998. Drought-induced effects on nitrate reductase activity and mRNA and on the coordination of nitrogen and carbon metabolism in maize leaves. Plant Physiology 117: 283 – 292. , , , .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87 – 92. , , .
- 1998. Nitrogen deficiency precludes a growth response to CO2 enrichment in C3 and C4Panicum grasses. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 627 – 636. , .
- 1997. The effect of CO2 enrichment and irradiance on the growth, morphology and gas exchange of a C3 (Panicum laxum) and a C4 (Panicum antidotale) grass. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 227 – 237. , , , .
- 1998. The photosynthesis of young C4Panicum leaves is not C3-like. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 1123 – 1131. , , , .
- 2000. The response of C4 plants to elevated CO2 partial pressure: a reassessment. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 931 – 942. , , , .
- 2002. The effect of drought on plant water use efficiency of nine NAD-ME and nine NADP-ME Australian C4 grasses growing in a drying soil. Functional Plant Biology 29: 1337 – 1348. , , .
- 1992. Regulation of photosynthetic rates of two sunflower hybrids under water stress. Plant Physiology 98: 516 – 524. , , .
- 1987. C4 photosynthesis: a unique blend of modified biochemistry, anatomy and ultrastructure. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 895: 81 – 106. .
- 1992. C4 photosynthetic pathway variation in grasses (Poaceae): its significance for arid and semi-arid lands. In: ChapmanGP, ed. Desertified grasslands: their biology and management. London, UK: Academic Press, 181 – 212. .
- 1978. Osmotic adjustment in leaves of sorghum in response to water deficits. Plant Physiology 61: 122 – 126. .
- 1993. Humidity pretreatment affects the responses of stomata and CO2 assimilation to vapor pressure difference in C3 and C4 plants. Plant and Cell Physiology 34: 113 – 119. , , .
- 2000. Photosynthesis and water-relation traits of the summer annual C4 grasses, Eleusine indica and Digitaria adscendens, with contrasting trampling tolerance. Ecological Research 15: 165 – 174. , .
- 1990. The use of chlorophyll fluorescence nomenclature in plant stress physiology. Photosynthesis Research 25: 146 – 150. , .
- 1995. Photosynthesis and respiration. In: KramerPJ, BoyerJS, eds. Water relations of plants and soils. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 313 – 343. , .
- 1996. Analysis of inhibition of photosynthesis under water stress in the C4 species Amaranthus cruentus and Zea mays: electron transport, CO2 fixation and carboxylation capacity. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 23: 403 – 412. , .
- 1995. The effects of water deficit on photosynthesis. In: SmirnoffN, ed. Environment and plant metabolism. flexibility and acclimation. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers, 129 – 160. .
- 2002. Photosynthetic carbon assimilation and associated metabolism in relation to water deficits in higher plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 275 – 294. , .
- 1978. Photosynthesis, respiration, and carbon assimilation in water-stressed maize at two oxygen concentrations. Journal of Experimental Botany 29: 579 – 593. , .
- 1989. Photosynthesis by flag leaves of wheat in relation to protein, ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase activity and nitrogen supply. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 43 – 52. , , .
- 1999. Environmental responses. In: SageRF, MonsonRK, eds. The biology of C4 plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 215 – 249. .
- 1995. On the relationship between electron transport rate and photosynthesis in leaves of the C4 plant Sorghum bicolor exposed to water stress, temperature changes and carbon metabolism inhibition. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 22: 885 – 892. , , .
- 1996. Effect of drought stress on photosynthetic characteristics, growth and sugar accumulation of field-grown sweet sorghum. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 23: 331 – 340. , , .
- 1990. Northern Australian savannas: management for pastoral production. Journal of Biogeography 17: 355 – 372. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Climate change in Queensland's grazing lands. I. Approaches and climatic trends. Rangeland Journal 20: 151 – 176. , , , , , .
- 1999. Heterogeneous inhibition of photosynthesis over the leaf surface of Rosa rubiginosa L. during water stress and abscisic acid treatment: induction of a metabolic component by limitation of CO2 diffusion. Planta 210: 126 – 131. , .
- 1980. Photosynthesis in grass species differing in carbon dioxide fixotion pathways. III. Oxygen response and enzyme activities of species in the Laxa group of Panicum. Plant Physiology 65: 156 – 159. , .
- 1991. Photophosphorylation in attached leaves of Helianthus annuus at low water potentials. Plant Physiology 96: 1016 – 1025. , , .
- 1982. Functional significance of different pathways of CO2 fixation in photosynthesis. In: LangeOL, NoblePS, OsmondCB, ZieglerH, eds. Encyclopedia of plant physiology new series, Vol. 12B. Berlin: Germany: Springer Verlag, 479 – 547. , , .
- 1996. Effect of drought stress on net CO2 uptake in Zea leaves. Planta 199: 589 – 595. , , , .
- 1996. Associations between partitioning of carboxylase activity and bundle sheath leakiness to CO2, carbon isotope discrimination, photosynthesis, and growth in sugarcane. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 907 – 914. , , , .
- 2001. Root and shoot factors contribute to the effect of drought on photosynthesis and growth of the C4 grass Panicum coloratum at elevated CO2 partial pressure. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 451 – 460. , , .
- 1989. Mild water stress effects on carbon- reduction-cycle intermediates, ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase activity, and spatial homogeneity of photosynthesis in intact leaves. Plant Physiology 89: 1060 – 1065. , .
- 1985. Who taught plants thermodynamics? The unfulfilled potential of plant water potential. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 12: 213 – 217. , .
- 1990. Light energy dissipation under water stress conditions. Contribution of reassimilation and evidence for additional processes. Plant Physiology 92: 1053 – 1061. , , .
- 1999. Water stress inhibits plant photosynthesis by decreasing coupling factor and ATP. Nature 401: 914 – 917. , , , .
- 1989. Mild water stress of Phaseolus vulgaris plants leads to reduced starch synthesis and extractable sucrose phosphate synthase activity. Plant Physiology 89: 1066 – 1070. , .
- 1987. The use of the oxygen electrode and fluorescence probe in simple measurements of photosynthesis. Sheffield, UK: University of Sheffield. .
- 2001. Carbon isotope discrimination by Sorghum bicolor under CO2 enrichment and drought. New Phytologist 150: 285 – 293. , , , , , , , , .