Inter-population differences in inherited copper tolerance involve photosynthetic adaptation and exclusion mechanisms in Fucus serratus
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2003
Volume 160, Issue 1, pages 157–165, October 2003
How to Cite
Nielsen, H. D., Brownlee, C., Coelho, S. M. and Brown, M. T. (2003), Inter-population differences in inherited copper tolerance involve photosynthetic adaptation and exclusion mechanisms in Fucus serratus. New Phytologist, 160: 157–165. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00864.x
- Issue published online: 22 AUG 2003
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2003
- Received: 17 April 2003 Accepted: 10 June 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00864.x
- 1996. Copper effects on reproductive stages of Baltic Sea Fucus vesiculosus. Marine Biology 125: 171–176. , .
- 1999. Arrested development in Fucus spiralis (Phaeophyceae). European Journal of Phycology 34: 513–521. , , , , , .
- 1990. Determinants of trace metal concentrations in marine organisms. In: LangstonWJ, BebianoMJ, eds. Metal metabolism in aquatic environments. London, UK: Chapman and Hall, 185–217. , .
- 1980. Oceanographic distributions of cadmium, zinc, nickel, and copper in the North Pacific. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 47: 176–198. .
- 1983. Heavy metals in the Fal Estuary, Cornwall: a study of long-term contamination by mining waste and its effects on estuarine organisms. Occasional Publications of the Marine Biological Association of the UK, 2. Plymouth, UK: Marine Biological Association of the UK. , .
- 1992. Bioavailability, accumulation and effects of heavy metals in sediments with special reference to United Kingdom estuaries: a review. Environmental Pollution 76: 89–131. , .
- 1995. Copper toxicity on the marine microalgae Phaeodactylum tricornutum: effects on photosynthesis and related parameters. Aquatic Toxicology 31: 165–174. , , , .
- 1997. Effects of in vivo copper treatment on the photosynthetic apparatus of two Triticum durum cultivars with different stress sensitivity. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 901–908. , , , , .
- 1990. Spatial and temporal variability in copper complexation in the North Pacific. Deep-Sea Research 37: 317–336. , .
- 2001. Cellular responses to elevated light levels in Fucus spiralis embryos during the first days after fertilization. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 801–810. , , , .
- 1996. Copper–algae interactions: inheritance or adaptation? Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 40: 41–45. , , , , .
- 1996. Variability of cadmium, copper and zinc levels in molluscs and associated sediments from Chile. Environmental Pollution 92: 359–368. , , , .
- 1997. The effect of Cu2+ on ion transport systems of the plant cell plasmalemma. Plant Physiology 114: 1313–1325. , , .
- 2001. Characteristics of non-specific permeability and H+-ATPase inhibition induced in the plasma membrane of Nitella flexilis by excessive Cu2+. Planta 212: 583–590. , , .
- 1998. Survey of thermal energy dissipation and pigment composition in sun and shade leaves. Plant Cell Physiology 39: 474–482. .
- 2001. Correlation between persistent forms of zeaxanthin-dependent energy dissipation and thylakoid protein phosphorylation. Photosynthetic Research 67: 63–78. , , , , .
- 1992. Metal tolerance in plants. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 41: 229–248. , , .
- 1989. The relationship between quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 1996. The application of biomonitors for assessment of mine derived pollution on the west coast of the Isle of Man. Marine Pollution Bulletin 32: 513–519. , , .
- 1999. The release of copper-complexing ligands by the brown alga Fucus vesiculosus (Phaeophyceae) in response to increasing total copper levels. Journal of Phycology 35: 501–509. , , , .
- 1967. New tables for oxygen saturation of seawater. Journal of Marine Research 25: 140–147. , .
- 2001. Effects of acid mine drainage from an abandoned copper mine, Britannia Mines, Howe Sound, British Colombia, Canada, on transplanted blue mussels (Mytilus edulis). Marine Environmental Research 51: 265–288. , .
- 1979. Mechanisms of copper tolerance in the marine fouling algae Ectocarpus siliculosus– evidence of exclusion mechanism. Marine Biology 54: 195–199. , , .
- 1999. Effects of high light and desiccation on the operation of the xanthophyll cycle in two marine brown algae. European Journal of Phycology 34: 35–42. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Enhanced copper tolerance in Silene vulgaris (Moench) Garcke populations from copper mines is associated with increased transcript levels of a 2b-type metallothionein gene. Plant Physiology 126: 1519–1526. , , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Plant growth curves. London, UK: Edward Arnold. .
- 1995. Copper (II) inhibition of electron transport through photosystem II studied by EPR spectroscopy. Biochemistry 34: 12747–12754. , , , , , .
- 2002. Heavy metal-induced inhibition of photosynthesis: targets of in vivo heavy metal chlorophyll formation. Journal of Phycology 38: 429–441. , , , , .
- 1982. Localization of absorbed cadmium in Fucus vesiculosus L. by X-ray microanalysis. Zeitung Pflanzenphysiologi 105: 103–109. , , .
- 2000. Marine macroalgae community structure, metal content and reproductive function near an acid mine drainage outflow. Environmental Pollution 110: 431–440. , .
- 2000. Chlorophyll fluorescence – a practical guide. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 659–668. , .
- 1979. Aquil: a chemically defined phytoplankton culture medium for trace metal studies. Journal of Phycology 15: 135–141. , , , .
- 1999. Identification and characterization of a recombinant metallothionein protein from a marine algae, Fucus vesiculosus. Biochemical Journal 338: 553–560. , , , , .
- 2003. Cellular responses in developing Fucus serratus embryos exposed to elevated concentrations of Cu2+. Plant, Cell & Environment (in press.) , , .
- 1992. Effects of Cu2+, Pb2+ and Zn2+ on voltage-activated current in Helix pomatia L. neurons. Environment Monitoring Assessment 22: 57–72. , , .
- 1997. Site of action of copper in the photosynthetic apparatus of maize leaves: kinetic analysis of chlorophyll fluorescence, oxygen evolution, absorbance changes and thermal dissipation as monitored by photoacoustic signals. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 81–90. , , .
- 1998. Increase in quantum yield of photoinhibition contributes to copper toxicity in vivo. Plant Physiology 117: 619–627. , , .
- 1990. The use of macroalgae as monitors of metal levels in estuaries and costal waters. In: FurnessRW, RainbowPS, eds. Heavy metals in the marine environment. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press. .
- 1991. Effects of salinity and heavy metals on oxygen release by Fucus vesiculosus L. Acta Ichthyologica et Piscatoria 21: 283–290. .
- 1995. Natural seasonal variation of cadmium, copper, lead and zinc in brown seaweed (Fucus vesiculosus). Marine Pollution Bulletin 30: 409–413. , , .
- 1999. The xanthophyll cycle modulates the kinetic of nonphotochemical energy dissipation in isolated light-harvesting complexes, intact chloroplasts, and leaves of spinach. Plant Physiology 119: 531–542. , .
- 1980. Copper-mediated lipid peroxidation processes in photosynthetic membranes. Plant Physiology 66: 797–800. , .
- 1986. Continuous recording of photochemical and non-photochemical quenching with a new type of modulation fluorometer. Photosynthetic Research 10: 51–62. , , .
- 1994. Flash-induced absorption spectroscopy studies of copper interaction with photosystem II in higher plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 269: 32865–32870. , , , , , .
- 1986. The subcellular localisation of absorbed copper in Fucus. Physiological Plantarum 66: 692–698. , , .
- 1995. Biometry: the principals and practice of statistics in biological research. New York, NY, USA: WH Freeman. , .
- 2001. Copper bioavailability and amelioration of toxicity in Macquarie Harbour, Tasmania, Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research 51: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2000. Copper and iron concentrations in Ascophyllum nodosum (Fucales, Phaeophyta) from different sites in Ireland and after culture experiments in relation to thallus age and epiphytism. Journal of Marine Biology and Ecology 246: 145–161. , .
- 1982. Measurement of the metal complexing ability of exudates of marine macroalgae. Limnology and Oceanography 27: 536–543. , , .
- 1995. Regulation of copper concentration in the oceanic nutricline by phytoplankton uptake and regeneration cycles. Limnology and Oceanography 40: 132–137. , .
- 1996. Xanthophyll cycle in marine macroalgae. Botanica Marina 39: 421–425. , .
- 1976. mineql: a computer program for the calculation of chemical equilibrium composition of aqueous systems. Cambridge. Massachusetts, MA, USA: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. , , .
- 1999. Rapid light curves: a new fluorescence method to assess the state of the photosynthetic apparatus. Photosynthetic Research 59: 63–72. , .
- 1993. Precise location of the Cu (II)-inhibitory binding site in higher plants and bacterial photosynthetic reaction centres as probed by light- induced absorbance changes. Journal of Biological Chemistry 268: 1684–1689. , , , , .
- 1991. Identification of the pheophytin–QA–Fe domain of the reducing side of the photosystem II as Cu (II)-inhibitory binding site. Journal of Biological Chemistry 266: 22847–22850. , , , .
- 1996. Photoinhibition in photosystem II from higher plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 271: 27408–27415. , , , .