Ecological implications of the determination of branch hierarchies
Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2003
Volume 160, Issue 1, pages 111–118, October 2003
How to Cite
Novoplansky, A. (2003), Ecological implications of the determination of branch hierarchies. New Phytologist, 160: 111–118. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00871.x
- Issue online: 22 AUG 2003
- Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2003
- Received: 22 March 2003 Accepted: 10 June 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00871.x
- 1995. Hypotheses for the evolution of apical dominance in plants: Implications for the interpretation of overcompensation. Oikos 74: 149–156. .
- 1995. Leaf dynamics, self-shading and carbon gain in seedlings of a tropical pioneer tree. Oecologia 101: 289–298. , .
- 2000. Motile behavior of bacteria. Physics Today 53: 24–29. .
- 2000. Manoeuvring and control of marine craft. Oxford, UK: Pergamon. , , , eds.
- 1996. Spatial models of foraging in clonal plant species. American Journal of Botany 83: 76–85. , , .
- 1990. Models of clonal plant growth based on population dynamics and architecture. Oikos 57: 257–269. , , , , .
- 1988. Evidence for selective embryo abortion in Cryptantha flava. American Naturalist 132: 318–326. .
- 1991. Apical dominance. Botanical Review 57: 318–358. .
- 2000. Computer simulation of sphenopsid architecture. I. Principles and methodology. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 109: 121–134. , , .
- 1993. Autecological studies on Audouinia capitata (Bruniaceae): 5. Seed development, abortion and pre-emergent reproductive success. South African Journal of Botany 59: 156–167. , , .
- 1984. Memorization and delayed expression of regulatory messages in plants. Planta 160: 392–399. , , , .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13: 77–81. , , .
- 1967. On integration in plants. Cambridge, MA, USA: Harvard University Press. .
- 1999. Patterns of variation in meristem allocation across genotypes and species in monocarpic Brassicaceae. Oikos 84: 284–292. , , .
- 1989. Physiological integration in Cassia fasciculata michx. Inflorescence removal and defoliation experiments. Oecologia 81: 279–284. , .
- 2000. 3D architectural modelling of aerial photomorphogenesis in white clover (Trifolium repens L.) using 1-systems. Annals of Botany 85: 359–370. , , , .
- 1997. Organ preformation in mayapple as a mechanism for historical effects of demography. Journal of Ecology 85: 211–223. , , .
- 2002. Ecological constraints on the evolution of plasticity in plants. Evolutionary Ecology 16: 213–242. .
- 1978. Tropical trees and forests: an architectural analysis. Berlin, Germany: Springer. , , .
- 1985. Modules, branches, and the capture of resources. In: JacksonJBC, BussLW, CookRE, eds. Population ecology and evolution of clonal organisms. New Haven, MA, USA: Yale University Press. .
- 2001. Differential shading of branches or whole trees: survival, growth, and reproduction. Oecologia 126: 482–486. .
- 1950. The water culture method for growing plants without soil. California Agriculture Experiment Station Circular 347. , .
- 1997. Non-random fruit retention in Yucca filamentosa: Consequences for an obligate mutualism. Oikos 78: 576–584. , .
- 2001. Seagrass growth and patch dynamics: Cross-scale morphological plasticity. Plant Ecology 155: 201–217. , .
- 1995. Leaf phenology as an optimal strategy for carbon gain in plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 73: 158–163. .
- 1999. Tree architecture in relation to leaf dimensions and tree stature in temperate and tropical rain forests. Journal of Ecology 87: 1012–1024. , .
- 1988. Mutation, developmental selection and plant evolution. New York, NY, USA: Columbia University Press.
- 1991. Developmental ecology of mayapple: effects of rhizome severing, fertilization and timing of branch senescence. Functional Ecology 5: 360–368. , , .
- 1990. Neurophysiology. In: WestJB, ed. Physiological basis of medical practice best and taylor's physiological basis of medical practice, 12th edn. Baltimore, USA: Williams & Wilkins. .
- 2000. Differential effects of light quality, provided by different grass neighbours, on the growth and morphology of Trifolium repens L. (white clover). Oecologia 125: 293–300. , .
- 1993. Regeneration of the shrub Gaylussacia baccata and associated species after low-intensity fire in an Atlantic coastal plain forest. American Journal of Botany 80: 119–126. , , .
- 1905. Regeneration in plants. I. Botanical Gazette 40: 97–120. .
- 1997. The role of apical dominance in the interpretation of adaptive architecture in prostrate plant species. Ecoscience 4: 490–500. , , .
- 1996. Hierarchy establishment among potentially similar buds in two-branch plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 781–786. .
- 1989. Ecological implications of correlative inhibition between plant branches. Physiologia Plantarum 77: 136–140. , , .
- 1990. How Portulaca seedlings avoid their neighbours. Oecologia 82: 490–493. , , .
- 1997. Models of spatial spread and foraging in clonal plants. In: De KroonH, Van GroenendaelJ, eds. The ecology and evolution of clonal plants. Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys. , .
- 1997. The ecological function of extrafloral nectaries: Herbivore deterrence by visiting ants and reproductive output in Caryocar brasiliense (Caryocaraceae). Functional Ecology 11: 323–330. .
- 1998. LIGNUM: a model combining the structure and the functioning of trees. Ecological Modeling 108: 189–198. , , .
- 1996. l-systems: from the theory to visual models of plants. In: MichalewiczMT, ed. Proceedings of the 2nd CSIRO Symposium on Computational Challenges in Life Sciences Melbourne, Australia: CSIRO. , , , .
- 1989. Competition and patterns of resource use among seedlings of five tropical trees grown at ambient and elevated carbon dioxide. Oecologia 79: 212–222. , .
- 1976. Lateral bud growth and its control by the apex. Botanical Review 42: 83–113. , .
- 1966. Senescence of inhibited branches of peas and apical dominance. Annals of Botany 30: 447–456. .
- 1981. The control of patterned differentiation of vascular tissues. Advances in Botanical Research 9: 151–262. .
- 1991. Pattern formation in plant tissues. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1996. Competition and mutual support of branches in damaged plants. Vegetatio 127: 25–30. , .
- 1995. Tree form: architectural models do not suffice. Israel Journal of Plant Science 43: 203–212. , .
- 1997. What does aclonal organization suggest concerning clonal plants?. In: De KroonH, Van GroenendaelJ, eds. The ecology and evolution of clonal plants. Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys. , .
- 1993. Plants as competing populations of redundant organs. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 765–770. , , .
- 1996. Does endosperm reduce intra-fruit competition among developing seeds? Plant Systematics and Evolution 201: 263–270. , , , .
- 1997. Measurement and visualization of the architecture of an adult tree based on a three-dimensional digitising device. Trees 11: 265–270. , .
- 1982. Light quality, photoreception, and plant strategy. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 481–518. .
- 1994. Sensing the light environment: the functions of the phytochrome family. In: KendrickRE, KronenbergGHM, eds. Photomorphogenesis in plants. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer. .
- 1931. Experiments on growth and inhibition. II. New phenomena of inhibition. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 108: 305–316. .
- 1988. Pattern of pre- and postfertilization resource allocation within an inflorescence: evidence for interovary competition. American Journal of Botany 75: 1074–1079. .
- 1994. Manipulation of sink-source relations in transgenic plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 649–658. , , , .
- SPSS. 2000. Systat 10. Chicago, IL, USA: SPSS Inc.
- 1998. Plant foraging and dynamic competition between branches of Pinus sylvestris in contrasting light environments. Journal of Ecology 86: 934–945. , .
- 2000. Shoot growth responses to light microenvironment and correlative inhibition in tree seedlings under a forest canopy. Tree Physiology 20: 987–991. .
- 1998. Functional ecology of branch architecture in sun and shade plants of Heteromeles arbutifolia M. Roem, a California chaparral shrub. Oecologia 114: 1–10. , .
- 2001. Adaptive evolution of plastic foraging responses in a clonal plant. Ecology 82: 3309–3319. , .
- 1991. Stocks, bonds, options, futures: investments and their markets. New York, USA: Prentice Hall Trade. .
- 1984. Morphogenetic constrains on patterns of carbon distribution in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 15: 233–258. , .
- 1997. Developmental phenology and the timing of determination of branch bud fates: ways in which the developmental program modulates fitness in clonal plants. In: De KroonH, Van GroenendaelJ, eds. The ecology and evolution of clonal plants, Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys. , , .
- 1987. Reproductive success, spontaneous embryo abortion and genetic load in flowering plants. Oecologia 71: 501–509. , , , , , .
- 1996. Consequences of patchy distribution of light for the growth of the clonal herb Glechoma hederacea. Oikos 77: 137–145. , .
- 2001. Nutrient foraging in woodland herbs: a comparison of three species of Uvularia (Liliaceae) with contrasting belowground morphologies. American Journal of Botany 88: 1071–1079. , .
- 2000. The leaf development process and its significance for reducing self-shading of a tropical pioneer tree species. Oecologia 125: 476–482. , , , , .