Physiological and growth responses of the montane bryophyte Racomitrium lanuginosum to atmospheric nitrogen deposition
Version of Record online: 8 SEP 2003
Volume 160, Issue 1, pages 145–155, October 2003
How to Cite
Pearce, I. S. K., Woodin, S. J. and Van Der Wal, R. (2003), Physiological and growth responses of the montane bryophyte Racomitrium lanuginosum to atmospheric nitrogen deposition. New Phytologist, 160: 145–155. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00875.x
- Issue online: 8 SEP 2003
- Version of Record online: 8 SEP 2003
- Received: 29 April 2003 Accepted: 13 June 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00875.x
- 1989. Chemical analysis of ecological materials. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications. .
- 1998. Effects of nutrient supply, light availability and herbivory on the growth of heather and three competing grass species. Plant Ecology 137: 203–212. , .
- 1994. Regional and Historical Variation in the Nitrogen Content of Racomitrium lanuginosum in Britain in Relation to Atmospheric Nitrogen Deposition. Environmental Pollution 84: 189–196. , , .
- 2000. Mineral nutrition, substratum ecology, and pollution. In: ShawJ, GoffinetAB, eds. Bryophyte biology. Cambridge, UK: University Press, 248–311. .
- 2002. Empirical nitrogen critical loads for natural and semi-natural ecosystems: 2002 update. Background document of the Expert Workshop on Empirical Critical Loads for Nitrogen. UN ECE Convention on Long–Range Transboundary Air Pollution. Bern, Switzerland: Swiss Agency for the Environment, Forest and Landscape. , , , , .
- 1996. Impirical nitrogen critical loads for natural and semi-natural ecosystems. In: Manual on Methodologies and Criteria for Mapping Critical Levels and Geographical Areas Where They Are Exceeded. UN ECE Convention on Long–Range Transboundary Air Pollution. Federal Environmental Agency. Berlin, Germany: Umweltburdensamt. , , .
- 1998. The effects of air-borne nitrogen pollutants on species diversity in natural and semi-natural European vegetation. Journal of Ecology 86: 717–738. , , .
- 1999. Measuring change in British vegetation. London, UK: Department of Environment, Transport and Regions. , , , , .
- 1999. The effect of increased deposition of atmospheric nitrogen on Calluna vulgaris in upland Britain. New Phytologist 141: 423–431. , , , , .
- 2000. The effect of long-term nitrogen additions on the bryophyte cover of upland acidic grasslands. Journal of Bryology 22: 83–89. , , , , , .
- 1985. Individualistic growth response of tundra plant species to environmental manipulations in the field. Ecology 66: 564–576. , .
- 1983. Pollutant transfer in upland regions by occult precipitation. Nature 302: 241–243. , , .
- 1988. The influence of altitude on rainfall composition at Great Dun Fell. Atmospheric Environment 22: 1355–1362. , , , , , .
- 1995. Orographic enhancement of wet deposition in the United Kingdom: Continuous monitoring. Water Air and Soil Pollution 85: 2107–2112. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Effects of increased temperature, drought and nitrogen supply on two upland perennials of contrasting functional type: Calluna vulgaris and Pteridium aquilinum. New Phytologist 142: 243–258. , , , .
- 2001. Impacts of increased nitrogen supply on high Arctic heath: the importance of bryophytes and phosphorus availability. New Phytologist 149: 461–471. , , .
- 1988. Climate and microclimate of the uplands. In: UsherMB, ThompsonDBA, eds. Ecological change in the uplands. Edinburgh, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 137–150. , .
- 1980. Application of the Bertholet reasction to the determination of ammonium-N in soil extracts and soil digests. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 11: 469–475. , .
- 1992. Plant responses to fertilization and species removal in tundra related to community structure and clonality. Oikos 63: 420–429. .
- 1999. Responses in microbes and plants to changed temperature, nutrient, and light regimes in the arctic. Ecology 80: 1828–1843. , , , .
- 2002. The influence of nitrogen deposition, competition and desiccation on growth and regeneration of Racomitrium lanuginosum (Hedw.) Brid. Environmental Pollution 120: 371–378. , , .
- 1998. Unintentional experiments with terrestrial ecosystems: ecological effects of sulphur and nitrogen pollutants. Journal of Ecology 86: 1–12. .
- 1998. Ecological effects of atmospheric reactive nitrogen deposition on semi-natural terrestrial ecosystems. New Phytologist 139: 127–134. , .
- 1987. Responses to acidic deposition of ombrotrophic mires in the UK. In: HutchinsonTC, MeemaKM, eds. Effects of atmospheric pollutants on forests, wetlands and agricultural ecosysytems. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 549–560. , , , .
- National Expert Group on Transboundary Air Pollution. 2001. Transboundary air pollution: acidification, eutrophication and ground-level ozone in the UK. London, UK: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, UK.
- 2002. Effects of nitrogen deposition on growth and survival of montane Racomitrium lanuginosum heath. Biological Conservation 104: 83–89. , .
- 1993. The deposition of atmospheric ammonia and its effects on plants. New Phytologist 125: 283–305. , .
- 1995. Deposition of fixed atmospheric nitrogen and foliar nitrogen content of bryophytes and Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull. Environmental Pollution 88: 193–205. , , .
- 1995. Growth responses of Polytrichum commune and Hylocomium splendens to simulated environmental change in the sub-arctic. New Phytologist 131: 533–541. , , , .
- 1998. Responses of a subarctic dwarf shrub heath community to simulated environmental change. Journal of Ecology 86: 315–327. , , , , .
- 1988. The British uplands: their ecological character and international significance. In: UsherMB, ThompsonDBA, eds. Edinburgh, UK: Ecological change in the uplands. Blackwell Scientific Publications, 9–36. , .
- 1998. Plant community responses to simulated environmental change at a high arctic polar semi-desert. Ecology 79: 856–866. , , , , .
- 1992. Grasslands and montane communities. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1983. An automated method for the determination of a mmonium-N in ecological materials. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 14: 49–63. .
- 1995. Short-term physiological responses of mosses to atmospheric ammonium and nitrate. Water Air and Soil Pollution 93: 225–242. , .
- 1991. Some effects of acidic deposition on montane Racomitrium lanuginosum heaths. In: WoodinSJ, FarmerAM, eds. The effects of acid deposition on nature conservation in Great Britain, 26. Peterborough, UK: Nature Conservancy Council, 17–28. , .
- 1987. Ecology and resources of Britain's mountain plateaux: land use issues and conflicts. In: BellM, BunceRG, eds. Agriculture and conservation in the hills and uplands. Monks Wood, UK: Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, 2–31. , , .
- United Kingdom Review Group on Acid Rain. 1997. Acid deposition in the UK 1992–94. Fourth Report of the United Kingdom Review Group on Acid Rain. London, UK: Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions. AEA Technology plc.
- 2003. Interplay between nitrogen deposition and grazing causes habitat degradation. Ecology Letters 6: 141–146. , , , , , .
- 1993. Impacts of sulphur and nitrogen deposition on sites and species of nature conservation importance in Great Britain. Biological Conservation 63: 23–30. , .
- 1987. The effects of nitrate, ammonium and temperature on nitrate reductase-activity in Sphagnum species. New Phytologist 105: 103–115. , .
- 1985. Nitrate reductase activity in Sphagnum fuscum in relation to wet deposition of nitrate from the atmosphere. New Phytologist 99: 381–388. , , .
- 1996c. Effects of pollutants in snowmelt on Kiaeria starkei, a characteristic species of late snowbed bryophyte dominated vegetation. New Phytologist 133: 519–529. , .