Drought damage and recovery – a conceptual model
Version of Record online: 8 SEP 2003
Volume 160, Issue 1, pages 7–14, October 2003
How to Cite
Vesk, P. A. and Westoby, M. (2003), Drought damage and recovery – a conceptual model. New Phytologist, 160: 7–14. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00887.x
- Issue online: 8 SEP 2003
- Version of Record online: 8 SEP 2003
- 2003. Functional strategies of chaparral shrubs in relation to seasonal water stress and disturbance. Ecology (In press.) .
- 1991. An illustrated guide to flowering plant morphology. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2001. The persistence niche: ecology of sprouting in woody plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 45–51. , .
- 1994. Soil and stem water storage determine phenology and distribution of tropical dry forest trees. Ecology 75: 1437–1449. .
- 1988. Seasonal patterns of canopy development and carbon gain in nineteen warm desert shrub species. Oecologia 75: 327–335. , , .
- 1986. Canopy dynamics and carbon gain in response to soil water availability in Encelia frutescens Gray, a drought-deciduous shrub. Oecologia 68: 271–278. , .
- 2000. Theoretical considerations of optimal conduit length for water transport in vascular plants. New Phytologist 148: 195–218. , .
- 1989. Response of eucalypt species to drought. Australian Journal of Ecology 14: 139–156. , .
- 2002. Shoot dieback during prolonged drought in Ceanothus (Rhamnaceae) chaparral of California: a possible case of hydraulic failure. American Journal of Botany 89: 820–828. , , , , , .
- 1999. Differential susceptibility to xylem cavitation among three pairs of Ceanothus species in the Transverse Mountain Ranges of southern California. Ecoscience 6: 180–186. , , , , .
- 1986. Quantitative phenology and water relations of an evergreen and a deciduous chaparral shrub. Ecological Monographs 56: 127–144. , .
- 1981. Biomass, production, and litterfall in the coastal sage scrub of southern California. American Journal of Botany 68: 24–33. , .
- 2001. Functional and ecological xylem anatomy. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 4: 97–115. , .
- 2000. Drought experience and cavitation resistance in six shrubs from the Great Basin, Utah. Basic and Applied Ecology 1: 31–41. , , .
- 2001a. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 2001b. Cavitation fatigue. Embolism and refilling cycles can weaken the cavitation resistance of xylem. Plant Physiology 125: 779–786. , , , , .
- 1990. Flora of New South Wales. Sydney, Australia: New South Wales University Press. .
- 1993. Delta-T Scan Software. Cambridge, UK: Delta T Devices. , .
- 1994. Drought tolerance and xylem embolism in co-occurring species of coastal sage and chaparral. Ecology 75: 648–659. , .
- 1996. Why the world's vegetation is not totally dominated by resprouting plants; because resprouters are shorter than reseeders. Ecography 19: 92–95. .
- 1981. Phenology of the drought-deciduous shrub Lotus scoparius: climatic controls and adaptive significance. Ecological Monographs 51: 323–342. , .
- 1954. Surface reduction and its significance as a hydrological factor. Journal of Ecology 42: 442–444. .
- 2000. Vulnerability of xylem cavitation and the distribution of Sonoran Desert vegetation. American Journal of Botany 87: 1287–1299. , .
- 1985. Canopy dynamics of Eucalyptus maculata Hook. III. Effects of drought. Australian Journal of Botany 33: 65–79. .
- 1992. Leaf life-span in relation to leaf, plant, and stand characteristics among diverse ecosystems. Ecological Monographs 62: 365–392. , , .
- 2000. Branch sacrifice: cavitation-associated drought adaptation of riparian cottonwoods. Trees 14: 248–257. , , , .
- 1993. Trade-off between water transport efficiency and leaf life-span in a tropical dry forest. Oecologia 96: 19–23. .
- 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. New York, USA: W.H. Freeman. , .
- 1986. Relationship of xylem embolism to xylem pressure potential, stomatal closure and shoot morphology in the palm Rhapis excelsa. Plant Physiology 80: 110–116. .
- 1995. Limitations on stem water transport and their consequences. In: GartnerBL, ed. Plant stems: physiological and functional morphology. London, UK: Academic Press, 105–124. .
- 1993. Drought-induced leaf shedding in walnut: evidence for vulnerability segmentation. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 879–882. , , , , .
- 2002. Leaf traits as indicators of resource-use strategy in floras with succulent species. New Phytologist 154: 147–157. , , , , , .
- 1980. Elements of a theory of vegetation dynamics in arid rangelands. Israel Journal of Botany 28: 169–194. .
- 2000. The time value of leaf area. American Naturalist 155: 649–656. , , .
- 1997. Leaf phenology of woody species in a north Australian tropical savanna. Ecology 78: 2542–2558. , , , , .
- 2001. Relationships between leaf lifespan and structural defences in a low-nutrient, sclerophyll flora. Functional Ecology 15: 351–359. , .
- 1978. Hydraulic architecture of some diffuse-porous trees. Canadian Journal of Botany 56: 2286–2295. .
- 1983. Xylem structure and the ascent of sap. New York, USA: Springer-Verlag. .