Fine roots – discarding flawed assumptions
Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2003
Volume 160, Issue 2, pages 276–279, November 2003
How to Cite
Zobel, R. (2003), Fine roots – discarding flawed assumptions. New Phytologist, 160: 276–279. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00893.x
- Issue online: 17 OCT 2003
- Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2003
- 1998b. Maize and Soybean Tap, Basal, and Lateral Root Responses to a Stratified Acid Aluminum-Toxic soil. Crop Science 38: 416–421. , .
- 1989. Relationship between root elongation rate and diameter and duration of growth of lateral roots of maize. Plant and Soil 119: 271–279. , , .
- 2002. Relationship between the structure of root systems and resource use for 11 North American grassland plants. Plant Ecology 165: 85–100. , , , .
- 2002. Root elongation and branching is related to local hexose concentration in Arabadopsis thaliana seedlings. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1357–1366. , , , .
- 1987. The longevity and activity of the primary root of maize. Plant and Soil 101: 257–265. .
- 1987. Soybean root senescence under drought stress. In: TaylorHM, ed. Minirhizotron observation tubes: methods and applications for measuring rhizosphere dynamics. Madison, WI, USA: Agronomy Society of America, 109–121. , , .
- 1943. Growth and decay of the transient (non-cambial) roots of alfalfa. Journal of the American Society for Agronomy 35: 625–634. .
- 1988. Late maturation of large metaxylem vessels in soybean roots: significance for water and nutrient supply to the shoot. Annals of Botany 62: 105–117. , , .
- 2002. Seasonal dynamics of fine roots relative to foliage and stem growth in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) as affected by water and nutrient availability. New Phytologist 154: 389–398. , , , , , .
- 1975. Rhizography of non-woody roots of trees in the forest floor. In: TorreyJG, ClarksonDT, eds. The development and function of roots. New York, USA: Academic Press, 179–196. .
- 1987. Selected aspects of the structure and development of field-grown roots with special reference to maize. In: GregoryPJ, LakeJV, RoseDA, eds. Root Development and Function Seminar series 30; Society for Experimental Biology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 53–70. .
- 2002. The formation of adventitious roots on root axes is a widespread occurrence in field-grown dicotyledonous plants. American Journal of Botany 89: 1361–1372. , .
- 2002. Fine roots of trees – a new perspective. New Phytologist 154: 267–273. .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 1997. Relationships among root branch order, carbon and nitrogen in four temperate species. Oecologia 111: 302–308. , , .
- 1975. Tree rootlets and their distribution. In: TorreyJG, ClarksonDT, eds. The development and function of roots. London, UK: Academic Press, 163–177. .
- 1998. Intra- and interspecific variation in root length, root turnover and the underlying parameters. In: LambersH, PoorterH, Van VuurenMMI, eds. Inherent variation in plant growth physiological mechanisms and ecological consequences. Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 441–465. .
- 1986. Living vessel elements in the late metaxylem of sheathed maize roots. Annals of Botany 58: 577–588. , , .
- 1996. Root apical diameter and root elongation rate of rubber seedlings (Heavea brasiliensis) show parallel responses to photoassimilate availability. Physiological Plant 97: 365–371. , .
- 1982. Shedding of ephemeral roots in gymnosperms. Canadian Journal of Botany 60: 2295–2302. .
- 1986. Understanding the control of plant development and the role of growth substances. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 13: 447–457. .
- 1991. The branch roots of Zea I. First order branches, their number, sizes and division into classes. Annals of Botany 67: 357–364. , , , .
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameters. Ecology 82: 882–892. , .
- 1975. The genetics of root development. In: TorreyJG, ClarksonDF, eds. The development and function of roots. London, UK: Academic Press, 261–275. .
- 2003. Sensitivity analysis of computer-based diameter measurement from digital images. Crop Science 43: 583–591. .