Simulated pollutant nitrogen deposition increases P demand and enhances root-surface phosphatase activities of three plant functional types in a calcareous grassland
Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2003
Volume 161, Issue 1, pages 279–290, January 2004
How to Cite
Phoenix, G. K., Booth, R. E., Leake, J. R., Read, D. J., Grime, J. P. and Lee, J. A. (2004), Simulated pollutant nitrogen deposition increases P demand and enhances root-surface phosphatase activities of three plant functional types in a calcareous grassland. New Phytologist, 161: 279–290. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00910.x
- Issue online: 6 NOV 2003
- Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2003
- Received: 30 June 2003 Accepted: 27 August 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00910.x
- 1991. Effects of nutrient enrichment in Dutch chalk grasslands. Journal of Applied Ecology 28: 28–41. .
- 1998. The effects of air-borne pollutants on species diversity in natural and semi-natural European vegetation. Journal of Ecology 86: 717–738. , , .
- 2002. Effects of increased nitrogen deposition. In: BellJND, TreshowM, eds. Air pollution and plant life, 2nd edn. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons Ltd. 201–235. , .
- 1994. Effects of nitrogen supply on frost hardiness in Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull. New Phytologist 128: 461–468. , , .
- 1999. The effects of increased deposition of atmospheric nitrogen on Calluna vulgaris in upland Britain. New Phytologist 141: 423–431. , , , , .
- 2003. The interactions between plant growth, vegetation structure and soil processes in semi-natural acidic and calcareous grasslands receiving long-term inputs of simulated pollutant nitrogen deposition. Environmental Pollution 121: 363–376. , , , , .
- 1994. The role of acid phosphatases in plant phosphorus metabolism. Physiologia Plantarum 90: 791–800. , , .
- 1964. Comprehensive Biochemistry 13. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier, 126–134. , .
- 1980. An evaluation of techniques for measuring vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal infection in roots. New Phytologist 84: 489–500. , .
- 1988a. Phosphate starvation inducible metabolism in Lycopersicon esculentum I. Excretion of acid phosphatase by tomato plants and suspension culture cells. Plant Physiology 87: 711–715. , , .
- 1988b. Phosphate starvation inducible metabolism in Lycopersicon esculentum II. Characterization of the phosphate starvation inducible-excreted acid phosphatase. Plant Physiology 87: 716–720. , , , .
- 2001. Plant functional types, communities and ecosystems. In: PressMC, HuntlyNI, LevinS, eds. Ecology: achievement and challenge. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science. .
- 1987. A check-list of mycorrhiza in the British flora. New Phytologist 105: 1–102. , .
- 1990. Varietal differences in root phosphatase activity as related to the utilization of organic phosphates. Plant and Soil 123: 161–163. .
- 1991. Mycorrhizas and root architecture. Experientia 47: 355–361. .
- 1999. Comparison of acid phosphatases in two gentypes of white clover with different responses to applied phosphate. Journal of Plant Nutrition 22: 679–692. , .
- 1973. The response of grasslands on sugar-limestone in Teesdale to application of phosphorus and nitrogen. Journal of Ecology 61: 85–92. , .
- 1999. The effects of quantity and duration of simulated pollutant nitrogen deposition on root-surface phosphatase activities in calcareous and acid grasslands: a bioassay approach. New Phytologist 141: 433–442. , , .
- 2001. Novel in-growth core system enables functional studies of grassland mycorrhizal mycelial networks. New Phytologist 152: 555–562. , , .
- 1988. The root surface phosphatases of Eriophorum vaginatum: Effects of temperature, pH, substrate concentration and inorganic phosphorus. Plant and Soil 105: 3–10. , .
- 1988. Phosphate influx and extracellular phosphatase activity in barley roots and rose cells. New Phytologist 109: 141–148. .
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants, 2nd edn. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 1994. An experimental investigation into the effects of atmospheric nitrogen deposition on two semi-natural grasslands. Journal of Ecology 82: 475–483. , , .
- 1962. A modified single solution method for determination of phosphates in natural waters. Analytica Chimica Acta 27: 31–36. , .
- NEGTAP. 2001. Transboundary Air Pollution: Acidification, Eutrophication and Ground-Level Ozone in the UK. DEFRA, UK.
- 1954. Estimation of available phosphorus in soils by extraction with sodium bicarbonate. US Department of Agriculture Circular no. 939. Washington, USA: USDA. , , , .
- 2002. Effects of nitrogen deposition on growth and survival of montaine Racomitrium langinosum heath. Biological Conservation 104: 83–89. , .
- 1976. Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza in natural vegetation systems. I. The occurrence of infection. New Phytologist 77: 641–563. , , .
- 1996. Changes in the vascular plant floras of England and Scotland between 1930 and 1960 and 1987–88: the BSBI monitoring scheme. Biological Conservation 75: 217–229. , .
- 1992. British plant communities 3. Grassland and montane communities. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2000. Soil acidity and nutrient supply ratio as possible factors determining changes in plant diversity in grassland and heathland communities. Biological Conservation 92: 151–161. , .
- 1994. Phosphatase activity in the rhizosphere of VA-mycorrhizal wheat supplied with inorganic and organic phosphorus. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 26: 387–395. , .
- 1986. Air pollution as a possible cause for the decline of some phanerogamic species in the Netherlands. Vegetatio 65: 47–52. , , , .
- 1993. Changes in chalk-grassland structure and species richness resulting from selective nutrient additions. Journal of Vegetation Science 4: 203–212. , , .