Light regulation of root and leaf NO3− uptake and reduction in the floating macrophyte Lemna minor
Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2003
Volume 161, Issue 2, pages 449–457, February 2004
How to Cite
Cedergreen, N. and Madsen, T. V. (2004), Light regulation of root and leaf NO3− uptake and reduction in the floating macrophyte Lemna minor. New Phytologist, 161: 449–457. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00936.x
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2003
- Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2003
- Received: 18 August 2003 Accepted: 22 September 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00936.x
- 1981. Sediment-based nutrition of submersed macrophytes. Aquatic Botany 10: 339–352. , .
- 1997. Allocation of resources in plants: State of the science and critical questions. In: BazzazFA, GraceJB, eds. Plant resource allocation. London, UK: Academic Press, 1–37. .
- 1995. Leaf nitrogen content as a predictor of photosynthetic capacity in ambient and global change conditions. Journal of Biogeography 22: 177–183. , .
- 1982. An empirical model to estimate the relative importance of roots in phosphorus uptake by aquatic macrophytes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 39: 243–247. .
- 1970. A colorimetric serum glucose determination using hexokinase and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase. Biochemical Medicine 4: 171–180. , , .
- 1992. Determination of the distribution of three nitrate reductase isoforms in soybean seedlings by chromatography and a simple method based on assay conditions. Physiologia Plantarum 85: 541–548. , , , , .
- 2002. Nitrogen uptake by the floating macrophyte Lemna minor. New Phytologist 155: 285–292. .
- 2003. Nitrate reductase activity in roots and shoots of aquatic macrophytes. Aquatic Botany 76: 203–212. .
- 1992. Sucrose mimics the light induction of Arabidopsis nitrate reductase gene transcription. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 1861–1864. , , , .
- 1989. Cycling of amino-nitrogen and other nutrients between shoots and roots in cereals – a possible mechanism integrating shoot and root in the regulation of nutrient-uptake. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 753–762. , .
- 1996. Diurnal regulation of NO3− uptake in soybean plants IV. Dependence on current photosynthesis and sugar availability to the roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 893–900. , , , .
- 2000. Nitrate transporters in plants: structure, function and regulation. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1465: 219–235. .
- 2002. Local and long-range signalling pathways regulating plant responses to nitrate. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 203–224. .
- 1999. Nitrate and ammonium nutrition of plants: physiological and molecular perspectives. Advances in Botanical Research 30: 1–90. , .
- 2003. Markers and signals associated with nitrogen assimilation in higher plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 585–593. , , .
- 1998. Effect of genetic modification of nitrate reductase expression on 15NO3− uptake and reduction in Nicotiana plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 43–53. , , , , .
- 1994. Root/ shoot distribution of NO3− assimilation in herbaceous and woody species. In: RoyJ, GarnierE, eds. A whole plant perspective on carbon–nitrogen interactions. The Hague, The Netherlands: SPB. Academic Publishing, 131–148. , , .
- 1961. The Lemnaceae, or duckweeds. A review of the descriptive and experimental literature. Botanical Review 27: 221–287. .
- 1996. Effects of NO (+NO2) pollution on growth, nitrate reductase activities and associated protein content in glasshouse lettuce grown hydroponically in winter with CO2 enrichment. New Phytologist 133: 495–501. , , .
- 1994. N demand and the regulation of nitrate uptake. Plant Physiology 105: 3–7. , .
- 1987. Nitrogen utilization in Lemna I. Relations between net nitrate flux, nitrate reduction, and in vitro activity and stability of nitrate reductase. Plant Physiology 85: 856–859. .
- 2001. Post-translational regulation of nitrate reductase: mechanism, physiological relevance and environmental triggers. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1981–1989. , .
- 2000. Discrepancy between nitrate reduction rates in intact leaves and nitrate reductase activity in leaf extracts: what limits nitrate reduction in situ? Planta 210: 801–807. , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of nitrate reductase expression in leaves by nitrate and nitrogen metabolism is completely overridden when sugars fall below a critical level. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 863–871. , , , .
- Hv. 1998. Nitrogen uptake in the infiltration community, an ice algal community in Antarctic pack-ice. Polar Biology 19: 307–315. , , , , ,
- 1987. Physiological characteristics. In: LandoltE, KandelerR, eds. The family of Lemnaceae – a monographic study. Zürich, Switzerland: Stiftung Rübel, 54–113. , .
- 1989. Xylem, phloem and transpiration flows in a grape: application of a technique for measuring the volume of attached fruits to high resolution using Archimedes’ principle. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 1069–1078. , .
- 1993. Induction and turnover of nitrate reductase in Zea mays. Plant Physiology 102: 1251–1257. , .
- 1995. The effect of light on the nitrate and nitrite reductase in Zea mays. Plant Science 109: 115–118. , .
- 1998. Photoreceptors involved in the regulation of nitrate reductase in Spirodela polyrhiza. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology 44: 205–210. , , .
- 1995. Identification of a protein that inhibits the phosphorylated form of nitrate reductase from spinach (Spinacia oleracea) leaves. Plant Physiology 107: 451–457. , , .
- 1986. Dependence of starch storage on nutrient availability and photon flux density in small birch Betula pendula (Roth). Plant, Cell & Environment 9: 433–438. , , .
- 1996. Effects of light and soil fertility on growth, leaf chlorophyll content and nutrient use efficiency of beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) seedlings. Forest Ecology and Management 86: 61–71. , .
- 1993. Regulation of nitrate and ammonium uptake in the Greenland Sea. Marine Biology 115: 199–208. , .
- 2002. Nitrate transport in plants: which gene and which control? Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 825–833. , , , .
- 1988. Characteristics of NO3− uptake in Lemna and Pisum. Plant and Soil 111: 203–205. , , , .
- 1993. Water transport in submerged macrophytes. Aquatic Botany 44: 385–406. , .
- CMEAL Participants. 1999. Quantifying the response of photosynthesis to changes in leaf nitrogen content and leaf mass per area in plants grown under atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1109–1119. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1998. The effects of light on induction, timecourses, and kinetic patterns of net nitrate uptake in barley. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 765–774. , .
- 1991. Comparison of the irradiance response of photosynthesis and nitrogen uptake by sea ice microalgae. Marine Ecology Progress Series 70: 201–210. , , , , .
- 1985. Regulation of pH and generation of osmolarity in vascular plants: a cost–benefit analysis in relation to efficiency of use of energy, nitrogen and water. New Phytologist 101: 25–77. .
- 1998. Close association of RGR, leaf and root morphology, seed mass and shade tolerance in seedlings of nine boreal tree species grown in high and low light. Functional Ecology 12: 327–338. , , , , .
- 1988. Alternations in leaf carbohydrate metabolism in response to nitrogen stress. Plant Physiology 88: 725–730. , , .
- 1999. Reverse flow in roots of Sesbania rostrata measured using the constant power heat balance method. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1153–1160. , , .
- 1995. Nitrate regulation of nitrate uptake and nitrate reductase expression in barley grown at different nitrate: ammonium ratios at constant relative nitrogen addition rates. Physiologia Plantarum 94: 254–260. , , , .
- 1997. Tobacco mutants with a decreased number of functional nia genes compensate by modifying the diurnal regulation of transcription, post-translational modification and turnover of nitrate reductase. Planta 203: 304–319. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Nitrate assimilation in higher plants: The effect of metabolites and light. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 34: 609–620. , .
- 1998. Influence of nitrogen supply and growth irradiance on photoinhibition and recovery in Heuchera americana (Saxifragaceae). Physiologia Plantarum 103: 567–573. , .
- 2002. Steps towards and integrated view of nitrogen metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 959–970. , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Interaction of leaves and roots of Ruppia maritima in the uptake of phosphate, ammonia and nitrate. Marine Biology 83: 61–67. , .
- 2000. Rapid effect of nitrogen form on leaf morphogenesis in tobacco. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 227–237. , , , .
- 1965. Spectrophotometric characteristics of chlorophylls a and b and their phenophytins in ethanol. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 109: 448–453. , .