Germination of Aesculus hippocastanum seeds following cold-induced dormancy loss can be described in relation to a temperature-dependent reduction in base temperature (Tb) and thermal time
Article first published online: 25 NOV 2003
Volume 161, Issue 2, pages 415–425, February 2004
How to Cite
Steadman, K. J. and Pritchard, H. W. (2004), Germination of Aesculus hippocastanum seeds following cold-induced dormancy loss can be described in relation to a temperature-dependent reduction in base temperature (Tb) and thermal time. New Phytologist, 161: 415–425. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00940.x
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 25 NOV 2003
- Received: 1 August 2003 Accepted: 28 August 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00940.x
- 1998. Seeds: ecology, biogeography, and evolution of dormancy and germination. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2003. A quantitative analysis of dormancy loss dynamics in Polygonum aviculare L. seeds: development of a thermal time model based on changed in seed population thermal parameters. Seed Science Research 13: 55–68. , .
- 1998. A simulation model to predict seed dormancy loss in the field for Bromus tectorum L. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1235–1244. , , .
- 1996. Population-based models describing seed dormancy behaviour: implications for experimental design and interpretation. In: LangGA, ed. Plant dormancy: physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 313–340. .
- Bradford. 2002. Applications of hydrothermal time to quantifying and modelling seed germination and dormancy. Weed Science 50: 248–260.
- 1986. The influence of temperature on seed germination rate in grain legumes. Journal of Experimental Botany 37: 705–715. , , , .
- 1993. GLIM for ecologists. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications. .
- 1988. The effects of priming and natural differences in quality amongst onion seed lots on the response of the rate of germination to temperature and the identification of the characteristics under genotypic control. Journal of Experimental Botany 39: 935–950. , .
- 2000. Bud dormancy: a suggestion for the control mechanism and its evolution. In: ViémontJ-D, CrabbéJ, eds. Dormancy in plants from whole plant behaviour to cellular control. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 23–33. .
- 1977. Probit analysis. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2002. Temperature and oxygen regulation of oleate desaturation in developing sunflower (Helianthus annuus) seeds. Physiologia Plantarum 14: 13–20. , , .
- 1982. Time, temperature and germination of pearl millet (Pennisetum typhoides S. & H.) 1. Constant temperature. Journal of Experimental Botany 33: 288–296. , , .
- 1998. The regulation of secondary dormancy. The membrane hypothesis revisited. Seed Science Research 8: 77–90. .
- International Seed Testing Association. 1999. International rules for seed testing. Seed Science and Technology 27 supplement: 47–50.
- 1929. Germination and vitality of birch seeds. Botanical Gazette 87: 127–151. .
- 1955. Ecology of Alnus glutinosa (L.) Gaertn. II. Seed distribution and germination. Journal of Ecology 43: 61–71. .
- 2000. Using hydrothermal time concepts to model seed germination response to temperature, dormancy loss, and priming effects in Elymus elymoides. Seed Science Research 10: 213–223. , , .
- 1997. The role of temperature in the seed germination of two species of the Solanum nigrum complex. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 2087–2093. , .
- 1978. Dormancy studies in seed of Avena fatua. 8. Genetic diversity affecting response to temperature. Canadian Journal of Botany 56: 2224–2229. , .
- 1990. Quantal response of fruit and seed germination rate in Quercus robur L. and Castanea sativa Mill. to constant temperature and photon dose. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 1549–1557. , .
- 1996. Development of a thermal time model for the quantification of dormancy loss in Aesculus hippocastanum seeds. Seed Science Research 6: 127–135. , , .
- 1999. Kinetics of the high temperature germination response in Aesculus hippocastanum seeds. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1507–1514. , , , .
- 1966. Conditions for the breaking of dormancy and germination of the seeds of Aesculus hippocastanum L. Arboretum Kórnickie 11: 203–219. .
- 1993. Water status changes during the development in relation to the germination and desiccation tolerance of Aesculus hippocastanum L. seeds. Annals of Botany 71: 107–116. , .
- 1998. The effect of chilling and moisture status on the germination, desiccation tolerance and longevity of Aesculus hippocastanum L. seed. Annals of Botany 82: 249–261. , .
- 2003. Ecological aspects of seed desiccation sensitivity. Journal of Ecology 91: 294–304. , , , .