Elevated CO2 and nitrogen availability have interactive effects on canopy carbon gain in rice
Article first published online: 1 DEC 2003
Volume 161, Issue 2, pages 459–471, February 2004
How to Cite
Anten, N. P. R., Hirose, T., Onoda, Y., Kinugasa, T., Kim, H. Y., Okada, M. and Kobayashi, K. (2004), Elevated CO2 and nitrogen availability have interactive effects on canopy carbon gain in rice. New Phytologist, 161: 459–471. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00943.x
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 1 DEC 2003
- Received: 14 July 2003 Accepted: 7 October 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00943.x
- 1999. Nitrogen requirements for maximum growth and photosynthesis of rice, Oryza sativa L. cv. Jarrah grown at 36 and 70 Pa CO2. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 26: 759–766. , , , .
- 1989. Respiration and crop productivity. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1997. Modelling canopy photosynthesis using parameters determined from simple non-destructive measurements. Ecological Research 12: 77–88. .
- 2002. Evolutionary stable leaf area production in plant populations. Journal of Theoretical Biology 217: 15–32. .
- 1995a. Patterns of light and nitrogen distribution in relation to whole-canopy carbon gain in C3 and C4 mono- and dicotyledonous species. Oecologia 101: 504–513. , , .
- 1995b. Optimal leaf area indices in C3 and C4 mono- and dicotyledonous species at low and high nitrogen availability. Physiologia Plantarum 95: 541–550. , , , , .
- 2000. Nitrogen utilization and the photosynthetic system. In: MarshalB, RobertsJ, eds. Leaf development and canopy growth. Sheffield, UK: Sheffield Academic Press, 171–203. , , .
- 1991. Reduced repiratory carbon dioxide efflux during growth at elevated carbon dioxide in three herbaceous perennial species. Annals of Botany 67: 325–330. , .
- 1972. Accumulation of 14C-labeled carbohydrate before flowering and its subsequent redistribution and respiration in the rice plant. Proceedings of the Crop Science Society of Japan 41: 226–234. , .
- 1997. Simple scaling of photosynthesis from leaves to canopies without the errors of big-leaf models. Plant Cell and Environment 20: 537–557. , .
- 2002. Radiation-use efficiency of a forest exposed to elevated concentrations of atmospheric carbon dioxide. Tree Physiology 22: 1003–1010. , , .
- 1999. Does elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration inhibit mitochondrial respiration in green plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 649–657. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Photosynthesis acclimation and nitrogen partitioning within a lucerne canopy. II. Stability through time and comparison with a theoretical optimum. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 20: 69–82. .
- 1986. The photosynthesis–nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: GivnishTJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 1980. Biophysical ecology. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1977. Crop micrometeorology: a simulation study. Simulation Monographs. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Pudoc. .
- 1988. The bare bones of leaf angle distribution in radiation models for canopy photosynthesis and energy exchange. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 43: 155–169. .
- 1995. Optimisation of nitrogen distribution and leaf area index for maximum canopy assimilation rate. In: ThiyagarayanTM, Ten BergeHFM, eds. Nitrogen management studies in irrigated rice. SARP Research Proceedings. Wageningen, the Netherlands/Los Baños, Philippines: AB-DLO/TPE-WAU/IRRI. .
- 2001. Canopy development of a model herbaceous community exposed to elevated CO2 and soil nutrients. Physiologia Plantarum 113: 258–266. , .
- 1997. Morphological adjustment of mature Quercus ilex trees to elevated CO2. Acta Oecologica 18: 361–365. , , , .
- 1994. Effects of leaf age, nitrogen nutrition and photon flux density on the distribution of nitrogen among leaves of a vine (Ipomoea tricolor Cav.) grown horizontally to avoid mutual shading of leaves. Oecologia 97: 451–457. , , .
- 1987. Maximizing daily canopy photosynthesis with respect to leaf nitrogen allocation pattern in the canopy. Oecologia 72: 520–526. , .
- 1996. Effects of CO2 elevation on canopy development in the stands of two co-occurring annuals. Oecologia 108: 215–223. , , , .
- 1997. CO2 elevation, canopy photosynthesis and optimal leaf area index. Ecology 78: 2339–2350. , , , , .
- 1990. Changes in the rate of photosynthesis during grain filling and the enzymatic activities associated with the photosynthetic carbon metabolism in rice panicles. Plant and Cell Physiology 31: 835–843. , , , .
- 2001. Growth and nitrogen uptake of CO2-enriched rice under field conditions. New Phytologist 150: 223–229. , , , , .
- 2003. Seasonal changes in the effects of elevated CO2 on rice at three levels of nitrogen supply: a free air CO2 enrichment (FACE) experiment. Global Change Biology 9: 826–837. , , , , .
- 2001. Rice plant growth and methane emission are stimulated by increased atmospheric CO2 concentration. Sixth International Carbon Dioxide Conference, Extended Abstracts, Vol. 1 . Sendai, Japan, 337–340. , , et al.
- 1992. Responses to elevated carbon dioxide in artificial tropical ecosystems. Science 257: 1672–1675. ,
- 1990. Causes and consequences of variation in growth rate and productivity of higher plants. The Hague, the Netherlands: SPB Academic Press. , , , .
- 1991. Modification of the response of photosynthetic productivity to rising temperature and atmospheric CO2 concentrations: has its importance been underestimated? Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 729–739. .
- 2001. Gross primary productivity in Duke forest modelling synthesis of CO2 experiment and eddy-flux data. Ecological Applications 11: 239–252. , , , , , .
- 1998. Carbon accumulation, distribution and water use of Danthonia richardsonii swards in response to CO2 and nitrogen supply over four years of growth. Global Change Biology 4: 851–861. , .
- 1999. Photosynthesis and plant growth at elevated levels of CO2. Plant and Cell Physiology 40: 999–1006. , .
- 1980. A model for C3 leaves describing the dependence of net photosynthesis on irradiance. Journal of Experimantal Botany 31: 29–39. , .
- 1997. The effect of elevated partial pressures of CO2 on the relationship between photosynthetic capacity and N content in rice leaves. Plant Physiology 115: 191–198. , , .
- 1988. Effects of rising atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration on gas exchange and growth of perennial ryegrass. Photosynthetica 22: 44–50. , , .
- 1997. Different regulation of leaf respiration between Spinachia oleracae, a sun species, and Alocasia odora, a shade species. Physiologia Plantarum 101: 1–7. , .
- 1999. Tree responses to rising CO2 in field experiments: implications for the future forest. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 683–714. , , , , .
- 2001. Allometric determination of tree growth in a CO2-enriched sweetgum stand. New Phytologist 150: 477–487. , , , .
- 2001. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) with pure CO2 injection: rice FACE system design and performance. New Phytologist 150: 251–260. , , , , , .
- 1990. Optimization of leaf nitrogen allocation for canopy photosynthesis in Lysimachia vulgaris. In: LambersH, CambridgeML, KoningsH, PonsTL, eds. Causes and consequences of variation in growth rate and productivity of higher plants. The Hague, the Netherlands: SPB Academic Press, 175–186. , , , .
- 1998. Do slow-growing species and nutrient stressed plants respond relatively strongly to elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 4: 693–697. .
- 1996. Sink strength may be the key to growth and nitrogen responses in N-deficient wheat at elevated CO2. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 23: 253–364. , , , .
- 1969. Interrelationships between leaf amount, light distribution and total photosynthesis in a plant community. Botanical Magazine 73: 55–63. .
- 1999. Carbon gain in a multispecies canopy: the role of specific leaf area and photosynthetic nitrogen-use efficiency in the tragedy of the commons. New Phytologist 143: 201–211. , .
- 1992a. The vertical distribution of nitrogen and photosynthetic acitvity at different plant densities in Carex acutiformis. Plant and Soil 14: 9–17. , , , .
- 1992b. Canopy structure nitrogen distribution and whole canopy photosynthetic gains in growing and flowering stands of tall herbs. Vegetatio 102: 173–182. , , .
- 2001. Variation in measured values of photosynthetic quantum yield in ecophysiological studies. Oecologia 128: 15–23. , , .
- 1986. Separating the diffuse and direct component of global radiation and its implications for modelling canopy photosynthesis. II. Calculation of canopy photosynthesis. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 38: 239–250. .
- 1986. Separating the diffuse and direct component of global radiation and its implications for modelling canopy photosynthesis. I. Components of incoming radiation. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 38: 225–237. , , .
- 1991. Rising CO2 levels and their potential significance for carbon flow in photosynthetic cells. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 741–762. .
- 1999. The interaction between elevated carbon dioxide and nitrogen nutrition: the physiological and molecular background. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 583–621. , .
- 1991. Leaf nitrogen distribution and whole canopy photosynthetic carbon gain in herbaceous stands. Vegetatio 97: 11–20. , .
- 1979. Elevated atmospheric partial pressure of CO2 and plant growth. Interactions of nitrogen nutrition and photosynthetic capacity in C3 and C4 plants. Oecologia 44: 68–74. .
- 1991. Elevated atmospheric partial-pressure of CO2 and plant growth. III. Interactions between Triticum aestivum (C3) and Enichloa frumentacea (C4) during growth in mixed culture under different CO2, N-nutrition and irradiance. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 137–152. , .
- 2000. Atmospheric CO2, soil-N availability, and allocation of biomass and nitrogen by Populus tremuloides. Ecological Applications 10: 34–46. , , , , , .
- 1996. The influence of nitrogen on the elevated CO2 response in field-grown rice. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 23: 45–52. , , , .