Cleavage of sucrose in roots of soybean (Glycine max) colonized by an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus
Article first published online: 12 DEC 2003
Volume 161, Issue 2, pages 495–501, February 2004
How to Cite
Schubert, A., Allara, P. and Morte, A. (2004), Cleavage of sucrose in roots of soybean (Glycine max) colonized by an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. New Phytologist, 161: 495–501. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00965.x
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 12 DEC 2003
- Received: 25 August 2003 Accepted: 7 October 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00965.x
- 1990. Developmental regulation of enzymes of sucrose and hexose metabolism in effective and ineffective soybean nodules. Plant Physiology 92: 346–351. , .
- 1999. Carbon metabolism in spores of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices as revealed by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Plant Physiology 121: 263–271. , , Douds Jr , , , .
- 1988. Early events of vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhiza formation on T-DNA transformed roots. New Phytologist 108: 211–218. , .
- 2002. Transcripts for genes encoding soluble acid invertase and sucrose synthase accumulate in root tip and cortical cells containing mycorrhizal arbuscules. Plant Molecular Biology 50: 197–211. , .
- 1982. Ultrastructural and cytochemical changes in the wall of a vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus during symbiosis. Canadian Journal of Botany 60: 2303–2308. , .
- 1995. Symplastic transport in soybean root nodules. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27: 387–399. , , , .
- 1998. Sucrose hydrolysis in bean roots (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) under phosphate deficiency. Plant Science 133: 139–144. , , .
- 1991. Solubilisation of gellan gels by chelation of cations. Biotechnological Technologies 5: 25–29. , .
- 1988. Carbon cost of the fungal symbiont relative to net leaf P accumulation in a split-root VA mycorrhizal symbiosis. Plant Physiologist 86: 491–496. , , .
- 1984. Appearance and accumulation of nodulin mRNAs and their relationship to the effectiveness of root nodules. Plant Molecular Biology 3: 21–28. , .
- 1999. Sucrose synthase in legume nodules is essential for nitrogen fixation. Plant Physiology 120: 867–877. , , , .
- 1998. Field evidence for the carbon cost of citrus mycorrhizas. New Phytologist 140: 103–110. , .
- 1985. Carbon economy of soybean –Rhizobium–Glomus associations. New Phytologist 101: 427–440. , , .
- 1996. A sugar transporter from Medicago truncatula: altered expression patterns in roots during vesicular–arbuscular (VA) mycorrhizal associations. Plant Journal 9: 491–503. .
- 1995. A phosphate transporter from the mycorrhizal fungus Glomus versiforme. Nature 378: 626–629. , .
- 1996. Properties of invertases in mycelium of Hymenoscyphus ericae and in endomycorrhizal association with cranberry seedlings. Mycological Research 100: 1197–1203. , .
- 1984. Photosynthate partitioning in split-root citrus seedlings with mycorrhizal and nonmycorrhizal root systems. Plant Physiology 75: 26–30. , .
- 2001. The glyoxylate cycle in an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. Carbon flux and gene expression. Plant Physiology 127: 1287–1298. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Metabolic changes associated with cluster root development in white lupin (Lupinus albus L.): relationship between organic acid excretion, sucrose metabolism and energy status. Planta 213: 534–542. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Enzymes of sucrose breakdown in soybean nodules. Alkaline invertase. Plant Physiology 74: 1030–1034. , .
- 1998. Effects of phosphorus availability and vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizas on the carbon budget of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris). New Phytologist 139: 647–656. , , , .
- 1989. Carbohydrate, protein and amino acid status of Glycine-Glomus-Bradyrhizobium symbioses. Physiologia Plantarum 75: 346–354. .
- 1980. Effects of vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhiza on 14C and 15N distribution in nodulated fababeans. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 60: 241–250. , .
- 1997. Phloem unloading: sieve element unloading and post-sieve element transport. Annual Revue of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 191–222. .
- 1993. Growth depression in mycorrhizal citrus at high-phosphorus supply. Plant Physiology 101: 1063–1071. , , , , .
- 1999. Carbon uptake and the metabolism and transport of lipids in an arbuscular mycorrhiza. Plant Physiology 120: 587–598. , , G, .
- 2003. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi differentially affect expression of genes coding for sucrose synthases in maize roots. New Phytologist 157: 539–545. , , .
- 1983. Metabolism of 14C-labeled photosynthate and distribution of enzymes of glucose metabolism in soybean nodules. Plant Physiology 72: 634–640. , .
- 1991. Sucrose utilization of the ectomycorrhizal fungi Amanita muscaria and Hebeloma crustuliniforme depends on the cell-wall bound invertase activity of their host Picea abies. Botanica Acta 104: 439–445. , .
- 1998. Effects of drought on nonmycorrhizal and mycorrhizal maize: changes in the pools of nonstructural carbohydrates, in the activities of invertase and trehalase, and in the pools of amino acids and imino acids. New Phtyologist 138: 59–66. , , , , .
- 1992. Occurrence of trehalose in vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and in mycorrhizal roots. Journal of Plant Physiology 140: 41–45. , , .
- 1995. Partitioning of intermediary carbon metabolism in vesicular– arbuscular mycorrhizal leek. Plant Physiology 108: 7–15. , , , , , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1982. The distribution of carbon and the demand of the fungal symbiont in leek plants with vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizas. New Phytologist 92: 75–87. , , , .
- 1997. Use of sugars by intraradical hyphae of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi revealed by respirometry. New Phytologist 136: 533–538. , .
- 1999. The sucrose-cleaving enzymes of plants are crucial for development, growth and carbon partitioning. Trends in Plant Science 4: 401–407. , .
- 1987. Nodulin-100 of soybean is the subunit of sucrose synthase regulated by the availability of free heme in nodules. Journal of Biological Chemistry 262: 14730–14736. , .
- 1998. Mycorrhizal sink strength influences whole plant carbon balance of Trifolium repens L. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 881–891. , , .
- 2003. Phosphate starvation triggers distinct alterations of genome expression in Arabidopsis roots and leaves. Plant Physiology 132: 1260–1271. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Phytoalexin response is elicited by a pathogen (Rhizoctonia solani) but not by a mycorrhizal fungus (Glomus mosseae) in soybean roots. Experientia 47: 395–399. , , .
- 1995. Evidence for the crucial role of sucrose synthase for sink strength using transgenic potato tubers (Solanum tuberosum L.). Plant Journal 7: 97–107. , , , .