Chitosan induces Ca2+-mediated programmed cell death in soybean cells
Article first published online: 9 DEC 2003
Volume 161, Issue 2, pages 557–568, February 2004
How to Cite
Zuppini, A., Baldan, B., Millioni, R., Favaron, F., Navazio, L. and Mariani, P. (2004), Chitosan induces Ca2+-mediated programmed cell death in soybean cells. New Phytologist, 161: 557–568. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00969.x
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 9 DEC 2003
- Received: 10 July 2003 Accepted: 29 September 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00969.x
- 1994. An improved method for monitoring cell death in cell suspension and leaf disk assays using Evan's blue. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cultures 39: 7–12. , .
- 1970. Cell wall composition and other biochemical markers in fungal phylogeny. In: HarborneJB, ed. Phytochemical phylogeny. London, UK: Academic Press, 81–101. .
- 2001. Regulation and execution of programmed cell death in response to pathogens, stress and developmental cues. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 561–567. , .
- 1992. Elicitor- and wound-induced oxidative cross-linking of a proline-rich plant cell wall protein: a novel, rapid defence response. Cell 70: 21–30. , , .
- 1995. Transfected aequorin in the measurements of cytosolic Ca2+ concentration ([Ca2+]c). Journal of Biological Chemistry 270: 9896–9903. , , , , , .
- 1989. Elicitation of lignin biosynthesis and isoperoxidase activity by pectic fragments in suspension cultures of castor bean. Plant Physiology 91: 889–897. , .
- 2001. An apoplastic Ca2+ sensor regulates internal Ca2+ release in aequorin-transformed tobacco cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 10655–10662. , .
- 2000. Proteases for cell suicide: functions and regulation of caspases. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 64: 821–846. , .
- 2000. Cleavage of lamin-like proteins in in vivo and in vitro apoptosis of tobacco protoplasts induced by heat shock. FEBS Letters 480: 165–168. , , .
- 2001. Effect of chitosan on systemic viral infection and some defence responses in potato plants. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 48: 774–779. , , , , , , .
- 1998. A chalcone synthase with an unusual substrate preference is expressed in barley leaves in response to UV light and pathogen attack. Plant Molecular Biology 37: 849–857. , , , .
- 1999. Dissection of the ozone-induced calcium signature. Plant Journal 17: 575–579. , , , , .
- 1996. Death don’t have no mercy: cell death programs in plant–microbe interactions. Plant Cell 8: 1793–1807. , , .
- 2000. Plant programmed cell death: a common way to die. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 38: 647–655. , , , .
- 2000. Chemical-induced apoptotic cell death in tomato cells: involvement of caspase-like proteases. Planta 211: 656–662. , , , , .
- 1998. Harpin and hydrogen peroxide both initiate programmed cell death but have differential effects on defence gene expression in Arabidopsis suspension cultures. Biochemical Journal 330: 115–120. , , , .
- 1995. Oligogalacturonides and chitosan activate plant defensive genes through the octadecanoid pathway. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 4095–4098. , , , .
- 2002. Developmentally regulated conversion of surface-exposed chitin to chitosan in cell walls of plant pathogenic fungi. New Phytologist 156: 103–112. , , , .
- 2002. Constitutive caspase-like machinery executes programmed cell death in plant cells. Cell Death and Differentiation 9: 726–733. , , .
- 2000. Programmed cell death of tracheary elements as a paradigm in plants. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 245–253. .
- 2000. The RPM1 plant disease resistance gene facilitates a rapid and sustained increase in cytosolic calcium that is necessary for the oxidative burst and hypersensitive cell death. Plant Journal 23: 441–450. , , , , , .
- 1999. Tracheary element differentiation uses a novel mechanism coordinating programmed cell death and secondary cell wall synthesis. Plant Physiology 119: 375–384. , .
- 1999. Host–parasite interactions: elicitation of defence responses in plants with chitosan. EXS 87: 185–200. .
- 1995. Fusarium solani DNase is a signal for increasing expression of nonhost disease resistance response genes, hypersensitivity, and pisatin production. Molecular Plant Microbe Interaction 8: 871–879. , , .
- 2000. Zinc induces mixed types of cell death, necrosis, and apoptosis, in molt-4 cells. Journal of Biochemistry 128: 933–939. , , , .
- 2001. Chitosan induces apoptosis via caspase-3 activation in bladder tumor cells. Japanese Journal of Cancer Research 92: 459–466. , , , .
- 2000. Nonhost resistance and nonspecific plant defences. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 3: 315–319. .
- 2001. Changes in gene expression during programmed cell death in tomato cell suspension. Plant Molecular Biology 45: 641–654. , , , .
- 1997. Elicitor-stimulated ion fluxes and O2− from the oxidative burst are essential components in triggering defence gene activation and phytoalexin synthesis in parsley. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 4800–4805. , , , , .
- 1999. Calcium signaling and cytotoxicity. Environmental Health Perspectives 107: 25–35. , .
- 1985. Callose biosynthesis as a Ca2+-regulated process and possible relations to the induction of other metabolic changes. Journal of Cell Sciencesupplement 2: 89–103. .
- 1989. The degrees of polymerization and N-acetylation of chitosan determine its ability to elicit callose formation in suspension cells and protoplasts of Catharanthus roseus. Planta 178: 385–392. , , .
- 2000. The presence and subcellular localization of caspase 3-like proteinases in plant cells. FEBS Letters 475: 139–144. , , , , .
- 2000. The ultrastructure of chilling stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 337–350. , .
- 1999. Die and let live – programmed cell death in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 502–507. , , .
- 2002. Analysis and effects of cytosolic free calcium increases in response to elicitors in Nicotiana plumbaginifolia cells. Plant Cell 14: 2627–2641. , , , , .
- 1996. Calcium-mediated apoptosis in a plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Current Biology 6: 427–437. , , , , .
- 1994. H2O2 from the oxidative burst orchestrates the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Cell 79: 583–593. , , , .
- 2000. Glutathione and a UV light-induced glutathione S-transferase are involved in signaling to chalcone synthase in cell cultures. Plant Cell 12: 1939–1950. , , , , .
- 1999. Defence on multiple fronts: how do plants cope with diverse enemies? Trends in Plant Science 4: 215–219. , .
- 2000. Dopaminergic neurotoxins, 6,7- dihydroxy-1-(3′,4′-dihydroxybenzyl) -isoquinolines, cause different types of cell death in SH-SY5Y cells: apoptosis was induced by oxidized papaverolines and necrosis by reduced tetrahydropapaverolines. Neuroscience Letters 291: 89–92. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Defence response in slash pine: chitosan treatment alters the abundance of specific mRNAs. Molecular Plant Microbe Interaction 10: 135–137. , .
- 2000. Programmed cell death in cell cultures. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 359–368. , .
- 1999. Transgenic aequorin monitors cytosolic calcium transients in soybean cells challenged with β-glucan or chitin elicitors. Planta 207: 566–574. , , , , .
- 1995. Identification, characterization, and purification of a tobacco endonuclease activity induced upon hypersensitive response cell death. Plant Cell 7: 1951–1962. , .
- 1999. Signals controlling the expression of cytosolic ascorbate peroxidase during pathogen-induced programmed cell death in tobacco. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 1025–1035. , , , .
- 1997. Pathogen-induced programmed cell death in tobacco. Journal of Cell Science 110: 1333–1344. , , .
- 2002. The role of calcium in oligogalacturonide-activated signalling in soybean cells. Planta 215: 596–605. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. High affinity binding oligopeptide elicitor to parsley plasma membrane triggers multiple defence responses. Cell 78: 449–460. , , , , , .
- 2001. A tomato homologue of the human protein PIRIN is induced during programmed cell death. Plant Molecular Biology 46: 459–468. , , .
- 2003. Store-operated Ca2+ entry: dynamic interplay between endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria and plasma membrane. Journal of Physiology 547: 333–348. .
- 2000. Effect of different gravity environments on DNA fragmentation and cell death in kalanchoe leaves. Annals of Botany 86: 983–994. , .
- 2002. Lipid rafts and T receptor signaling: a critical re-evaluation. European Journal of Immunology 32: 3082–3091. , , , , , .
- 2001. Elicitor-stimulated induction of defence mechanisms and defence gene activation in grapevine cell suspension cultures. Biologia Plantarum 44: 555–565. .
- 2000. Induction of calchone synthase expression in white spruce by wounding and jasmonate. Plant Cell Physiology 41: 982–987. , , , .
- 2001. Unraveling regulatory networks in plant defence using microarrays. Genome Biology 2: reviews 1001.1–1001.3. , .
- 1996. Cleavage of nuclear DNA into oligonucleosomal fragments during cell death induced by fungal infection or by abiotic treatments. Plant Cell 8: 393–402. , .
- 1989. Molecular Cloning: a Laboratory Manual. New York, USA: Cold Spring. Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor. , , .
- 2000. Independent pathways leading to apoptotic cell death, oxidative burst and defence gene expression in response to elicitin in tobacco cell suspension culture. European Journal of Biochemistry 267: 5005–5013. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Resistance response physiology and signal transduction. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 305–310. .
- 2001. Oligosaccharide signalling for defence responses in plant. Physiology Molecular Plant Pathology 59: 223–233. , .
- 1999. The involvement of cysteine proteases and protease inhibitor genes in the regulation of programmed cell death in plants. Plant Cell 11: 431–444. , , , , .
- 2000. Involvement of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase and activation of caspase-3-like protease in heat shock-induced apoptosis in tobacco suspension cells. FEBS Letters 474: 11–15. , , , .
- 1974. The quantitative relationship between plant and bacterial cells involved in the hypersensitive reaction. Phytopathology 64: 885–890. , .
- 1991. Induced plant responses to pathogen attack. Analysis and heterologous expression of the key enzyme in the biosynthesis of phytoalexins in soybean (Glicine max L. Merr. cv. Harosoy 63). European Journal of Biochemistry 196: 423–430. , , , , .
- 1994. Ferrous ion oxidation in presence of ferric ion indicator xylenol orange for measurement of hydroperoxides. Methods in Enzymology 233: 182–189. .
- 2003. Do plant caspases exist? Plant Physiology 130: 1764–1769. , , .
- 1998. Role of calcium in signal transduction during the hypersensitive response caused by basidiospore-derived infection of the cowpea rust fungus. Plant Cell 10: 585–597. , .
- 1996. Induction of cysteine and serine proteases during xylogenesis in Zinnia elegans. Plant Molecular Biology 30: 1233–1246. , .
- 1997. Receptor-mediated activation of a plant Ca2+-permeable ion channel involved in pathogen defence. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 94: 2751–2755. , , , , , , .