Reproductive isolation between autotetraploids and their diploid progenitors in fireweed, Chamerion angustifolium (Onagraceae)
Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2003
Volume 161, Issue 3, pages 703–713, March 2004
How to Cite
Husband, B. C. and Sabara, H. A. (2004), Reproductive isolation between autotetraploids and their diploid progenitors in fireweed, Chamerion angustifolium (Onagraceae). New Phytologist, 161: 703–713. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2004.00998.x
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2003
- Received: 1 August 2003 Accepted: 14 November 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00998.x
- 2003. Genes duplicated by polyploidy show unequal contributions to the transcriptome and organ-specific reciprocal silencing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 4649–4654. , , , .
- 1997. Plant variation and evolution, 3rd edn. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2000. Fitness differences among diploids and tetraploids and their triploid progeny in Chamerion angustifolium (Onagraceae): mechanisms of inviability and implications for polyploid evolution. Evolution 54: 1182–1191. , .
- 2001. Fecundity and offspring ploidy in matings among diploid, triploid and tetraploid Chamerion angustifolium (Onagraceae): consequences for tetraploid establishment. Heredity 87: 573–582. , .
- 1998. The evolutionary genetics of speciation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 353: 287–305. , .
- 1991. Establishment of a tetraploid cytotype in diploid populations: effect of relative fitness of the cytotypes. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 4: 195–207. .
- 1980. Ecology and distribution of diploid and tetraploid Epilobiium angustifolium (fireweed) in the Beartooth Mountains of Wyoming and Montana. PhD thesis, Duke University, USA. .
- 1984. Ecological constraints on the establishment of a novel polyploid in competition with its diploid progenitor. American Naturalist 124: 703–711. , .
- 1998. Evolutionary biology, 3rd edn. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Assoc. Inc. .
- 1985. The effects of nectar level and flower development on pollen carry-over in inflorescences of fireweed (Epilobium angustifolium) (Onagraceae). Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 488–491. , .
- 1999. Ploidy regulation of gene expression. Science 285: 251–254. , , , , .
- 1949. Pollination systems as isolating mechanisms in angiosperms. Evolution 3: 82–97. .
- 1994. Modes and origins of mechanical and ethological isolation in angiosperms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 3–10. .
- 2000. Constraints on polyploid evolution: a test of the minority cytotype exclusion principle. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, B. 267: 1–7. .
- 2003a. The role of triploid hybrids in the evolutionary dynamics of mixed-ploidy populations. Biological Journal of the Linnaean Society (In press.) .
- 2003b. Polyploidy and adaptation: a framework for future research. Proceedings of the Workshop on the Genetics and Ecology of Adaptation, Vancouver, Canada. Vancouver Canada: National Research council of Canada, (In press.) .
- 1995. Magnitude and timing of inbreeding depression in a diploid population of Epilobium angustifolium (Onagraceae). Heredity 75: 206–215. , .
- 1997. The effect of inbreeding in diploid and tetraploid populations of Epilobium angustifolium (Onagraceae): implications for the genetic basis of inbreeding depression. Evolution 51: 737–746. , .
- 1998. Cytotype distribution at a diploid-tetraploid contact zone in Chamerion (Epilobium) angustifolium (Onagraceae). American Journal of Botany 85: 1688–1694. , .
- 2002. Pollen competition as a unilateral mechanism of reproductive isolation between diploid and tetraploid Chamerion angustifolium. Proceedings of the Royal Society, London 269: 2565–2571. , , , .
- DW. 2000. Ecological mechanisms of reproductive isolation between diploid and tetraploid Chamerion angustifolium. Journal of Ecology 88: 689–701. ,
- 1975. Minority cytotype exclusion in local plant populations. Taxon 24: 35–43. .
- 1983. Polyploidy and novelty in flowering plants. American Naturalist 122: 1–25. .
- 2002. The role of chromosomal change in plant evolution. Oxford Series in Ecology and Evolution. New York, USA: Oxford University Press. .
- 1942. Systematics and the origin of species. New York, USA: Columbia University Press. .
- 1982. The growth of biology thought. Cambridge, MA, USA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press. .
- 1967. Evidence for autopolyploidy in Epilobium angustifolium (Onagraceae). Evolution 21: 713–719. .
- 2001. Allopolyploidy-induced rapid genome evolution in the wheat (Aegilops-Triticum) group. Plant Cell 13: 1735–1747. , , .
- 1999. Evolutionary consequences of diploid-polyploid hybrid zones in wild species. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14: 306–311. , , .
- 2003. Components of reproductive isolation between the Monkeyflowers Mimulus lewisii and M. Cardinalis (Phrymaceae). Evolution 57: 1520–1534. , , .
- 1998. Pathways, mechanisms and rates of polyploidy formation in flowering plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 29: 4676–4501. , .
- 2002. Neopolyploidy in flowering plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 589–639. , .
- 1996. A model for the establishment of polyploidy in plants. American Naturalist 147: 33–46. .
- 2003. The effect of protandry on siring success in Chamerion angustifolium (Onagraceae) with different inflorescence sizes. Evolution 57: 240–248. , .
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 372–380. .
- 1999. Plant polyploidy and pollination: floral traits and insect visits to diploid and tetraploid Heuchera grossulariifolia. Evolution 53: 1114–1127. , .
- 2001. Sequence elimination and cytosine methylation are rapid and reproducible responses of the genome to wide hybridization and allopolyploidy in wheat. Plant Cell 13: 1749–1759. , , , , .
- 1999. Polyploidy: recurrent formation and genome evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14: 348–352. , .
- 2000. The role of genetic and genomic attributes in the success of polyploids. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 7051–7057. , .
- 1995. Rapid genome change in synthetic polyploids of Brassica and its implications for polyploidy evolution. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 7719–7723. , , , .
- 1979. Red clover breeding and genetics. Advances in Agronomy 31: 125–154. , .