Positive Feedbacks among Forest Fragmentation, Drought, and Climate Change in the Amazon
Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2002
Volume 15, Issue 6, pages 1529–1535, December 2001
How to Cite
Laurance, W. F. and Williamson, G. B. (2001), Positive Feedbacks among Forest Fragmentation, Drought, and Climate Change in the Amazon. Conservation Biology, 15: 1529–1535. doi: 10.1046/j.1523-1739.2001.01093.x
- Issue online: 12 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2002
- Paper submitted February 21, 2001; revised manuscript accepted April 25, 2001.
- 2000. Reduction of tropical cloudiness by soot. Science 288:1042 – 1047.DOI: 10.1126/science.288.5468.1042 , , , , , .
- 1999. Incêndios na Amazônia brasileira: estimativa da emissão de gases do efeito estufa pela queima de diferentes ecossistemas de Roraima na passagem do evento “El Niño” (1997/98). Acta Amazonica 29:513 – 534. & .
- Brown, P. 1998. Forest fires: setting the world ablaze. The Guardian [London], 20 March.
- 2001. Effectiveness of parks in protecting tropical biodiversity. Science 291:125 – 128. , , , .
- 2001. Sensitive development could protect the Amazon instead of destroying it. Nature 409:131.DOI: 10.1038/35051794 , , , .
- 2001. Synergistic interactions between habitat fragmentation and fire in evergreen tropical forests. Conservation Biology 15:1515 – 1521.DOI: 10.1046/j.1523-1739.2001.01091.x
- 1999. Fire as a recurrent event in tropical forests of the eastern Amazon: effects on forest structure, biomass, and species composition. Biotropica 31:2 – 16. & .
- 1999. Positive feedbacks in the fire dynamics of closed canopy tropical forests. Science 284:1832 – 1835.DOI: 10.1126/science.284.5421.1832 , , , , , , .
- 1995. Mortality rates of 205 Neotropical tree and shrub species and the impact of a severe drought. Ecological Monographs 65:419 – 439. , , .
- 1996. Assessing the responses of plant functional types to climate change in tropical forests. Journal of Vegetation Science 7:405 – 416. , , .
- 1994. Relating patterns of land-use change to faunal biodiversity in the central Amazon. Conservation Biology 8:1027 – 1036. , , , .
- 1999. Edge structure determines the magnitude of changes in microclimate and vegetation structure in tropical forest fragments. Biotropica 31:17 – 30. & .
- 1993. Deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon: the effect of population and land tenure. Ambio 8:537 – 545.
- 1995. Potential impacts of climatic change on natural forests and forestry in Brazilian Amazonia. Forest Ecology and Management 78:51 – 70.DOI: 10.1016/0378-1127(95)03597-3
- 1999. Biodiversity as an environmental service in Brazil's Amazonian forests: risks, value and conservation. Environmental Conservation 26:305 – 321.DOI: 10.1017/s0376892999000429
- 2000. Global warming and tropical land-use change: greenhouse gas emissions from biomass burning, decomposition and soils in forest conversion, shifting cultivation and secondary vegetation. Climatic Change 46:115 – 158.DOI: 10.1023/a:1005569915357
- 1999. Areas protegidas ou espaços ameaçados? World Wide Fund for Nature, Brasilia. , , , , , .
- 2000. Receding edges and vanishing reserves. Science 288:1356 – 1358. , , .
- 1995. Carbon dioxide uptake by an undisturbed tropical rain forest in southwest Amazonia, 1992 to 1993. Science 270:778 – 780. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Tropical deforestation and atmospheric carbon dioxide. Climatic Change 19:99 – 118.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 1996. Climate change 1995: impacts, adaptations and mitigation of climate change: scientific technical analyses. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- 1997. Edge-related changes in environment and plant responses due to forest fragmentation in central Amazonia. Pages 33 – 44 in W. F.Laurance and R. O.Bierregaard, editors. Tropical forest remnants: ecology, management, and conservation of fragmented communities. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , , , .
- 1991. Survival by sprouting following fire in the tropical forests of the eastern Amazon. Biotropica 23:219 – 224.
- 1991. Interactions of anthropogenic activities, fire, and rain forests in the Amazon Basin. Pages 117 – 134 in J. G.Goldammer, editor. Fire in the tropical biota. Springer-Verlag, New York. & .
- 1998. A crisis in the making: responses of Amazonian forests to land use and climate change. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13:411 – 415.DOI: 10.1016/s0169-5347(98)01433-5
- 2000. Do edge effects occur over large spatial scales? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:134 – 135.DOI: 10.1016/s0169-5347(00)01838-3
- 1997. Biomass collapse in Amazonian forest fragments. Science 278:1117 – 1118.DOI: 10.1126/science.278.5340.1117 , , , , , .
- 1998a. Rain forest fragmentation and the dynamics of Amazonian tree communities. Ecology 79:2032 – 2040. , , , .
- 1998b. Tropical forest fragmentation and greenhouse gas emissions. Forest Ecology and Management 110:173 – 180.DOI: 10.1016/s0378-1127(98)00291-6 , , .
- 2000a. Rainforest fragmentation kills big trees. Nature 404:836.DOI: 10.1038/35009032 , , , , .
- 2000b. Forest loss and fragmentation in the Amazon: implications for wildlife conservation. Oryx 34:39 – 45.DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-3008.2000.00094.x , , .
- 2001. The future of the Brazilian Amazon. Science 291:438 – 439.DOI: 10.1126/science.291.5503.438 , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of a severe drought on Amazonian forest fragments. Journal of Tropical Ecology: in press. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Simulation of the regional climatic impact of Amazon deforestation. Nature 342:411-413. & .
- 1986. Edge and other effects of isolation on Amazon forest fragments. Pages 257 – 285 in M. E.Soulé, editor. Conservation biology: the science of scarcity and diversity. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Uncertainties in projections of human-caused climate warming. Science 278:1416 – 1417.DOI: 10.1126/science.278.5342.1416
- 1994. Archeological evidence for the impact of mega-Niño events on Amazonian during the past two millennia. Climatic Change 28:321 – 338.
- 1999. Effects of surrounding vegetation on edge-related tree mortality in Amazonian forest fragments. Biological Conservation 91:129 – 134. , , .
- 1994. The role of deep roots in the hydrological cycles of Amazonian forests and pastures. Nature 372:666 – 669. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The ecological importance of forest remnants in an eastern Amazonian frontier landscape. Pages 133 – 150 in J.Schelhas and R.Greenberg, editors. Forest patches in tropical landscapes. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , , , , .
- 1998. Forest fire prediction and prevention in the Brazilian Amazon. Conservation Biology 12:951 – 955. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999a. Flames in the rain forest: origins, impacts, and alternatives to Amazonian fires. Pilot Program to Preserve the Brazilian Rain Forest, Brasilia, Brazil. , , .
- 1999b. Large-scale impoverishment of Amazonian forests by logging and fire. Nature 398:505 – 508.DOI: 10.1038/19066 , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Potential net primary productivity in South America: application of a global model. Ecological Applications 1:399 – 429. , , , , , .
- 1999. TRMM observed first direct evidence of smoke from forest fires inhibiting rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 26:3105 – 3108.DOI: 10.1029/1999gl006066
- 1984. Amazon basin: a system in equilibrium. Science 225:129 – 138. & .
- 1986. Holocene fires in the northern Amazon basin. Quaternary Research 26:358 – 366. & .
- 1985. Amazon rain-forest fires. Science 227:53 – 55. , , , , .
- 1990. Amazon deforestation and climate change. Science 247:1322 – 1325. , , .
- 1993. Tropical deforestation and habitat fragmentation in the Amazon: satellite data from 1978 to 1988. Science 260:1905 – 1910. & .
- 1998. Effect of interannual climate variability on carbon storage in Amazonian ecosystems. Nature 396:664 – 667.DOI: 10.1038/25328 , , , , , , .
- 1999. Increased El Niño frequency in a climate model forced by future greenhouse warming. Nature 398:694 – 697. , , , , , .
- 1985. A disturbing synergism between cattle-ranch burning practices and selective tree harvesting in the eastern Amazon. Biotropica 17:265 – 268. & .
- 1990. Deforestation effects on fire susceptibility and the potential response of the tree species to fire in the rainforest of the eastern Amazon. Ecology 71:437 – 449. & .
- 1998. Zoning of timber extraction in the Brazilian Amazon. Conservation Biology 12:128 – 136.DOI: 10.1046/j.1523-1739.1998.96234.x , , , .
- 1997. Tropical forest disturbance, disappearance, and species loss. Pages 3 – 12 in W. F.Laurance and R. O.Bierregaard, editors. Tropical forest remnants: ecology, management, and conservation of fragmented communities. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2000. Impacts of the 1997 ENSO drought on Amazonian tree communities. Conservation Biology 14:1538 – 1545.DOI: 10.1046/j.1523-1739.2000.99298.x , , , , , , .