The Regulation of Patient-Reported Outcome Claims: Need for a Flexible Standard
Article first published online: 9 JUL 2002
Value in Health
Volume 5, Issue 4, pages 372–381, July 2002
How to Cite
Morris, L. A. and Miller, D. W. (2002), The Regulation of Patient-Reported Outcome Claims: Need for a Flexible Standard. Value in Health, 5: 372–381. doi: 10.1046/j.1524-4733.2002.54073.x
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2002
- Article first published online: 9 JUL 2002
- 1Acceptable evidence for pharmaceutical advertising and labeling. Drug Information Association Workshop, New Orleans, LA.
- 3Regulatory Issues for Health-Related Quality of Life—PhRMA Health Outcomes Committee Workshop, 1999. Value Health 2002; in press., , et al.
- 4Consumer Behavior. Fort Worth, Texas: Dryden Press, 1995., , , eds.
- 5ed. Quality of Life and Pharmacoeconomics in Clinical Trials, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1996.,
- 6Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for Industry; Content and Format of the Adverse Reactions Section of Labeling for Human Prescription Drugs and Biologics, May 2000. Available at www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/1888dft.htm. Accessed October 30, 2000.
- 7Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for Industry; Providing Clinical Evidence of Effectiveness for Human Prescription Drugs and Biologics, May 1998 Available at www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/1397fnl.pdf. Accessed October 30, 2000.
- 8Food and Drug Administration. Requirements for the content and format of labeling for human prescription drugs and biologics. Requirements for prescription drug product labels; proposed rule. Federal Register 2000; 65: 81082–131.
- 9Food and Drug Administration. Draft Guidance for Industry; Clinical Studies Section of Labeling for Prescription Drugs and Biologics—Content and Format, July 2001. Available at www.fda.gov/ cder/guidance/ 1890dft.htm. Accessed August 29, 2001.
- 10Food and Drug Administration. Warning Letters and Untitled Letters to Pharmaceutical Companies, 2000. Available at www.fda.gov/cder/ warn/ warn2000.htm. Accessed October 30, 2000 and August 13, 2001.
- 11Regulating functional claims in advertising. Drug Information Association Workshop, New Orleans, LA, October, 2000.,
- 12Consumer Behavior and Marketing Strategy (4th ed.). Boston: Irwin Press, 1996.,
- 15Assessment of quality of life in HIV disease. AIDS 1994; 8(Suppl. 1): 5349–59.,
- 16Federal Trade Commission. Policy statement regarding advertising substantiation program. Federal Register 1984; 49: 30999–1001.
- 17Conference Committee Report, Food and Drug Modernization Act. Available from ISPOR US Legislation Briefing, Background Information. Washington, DC. January, 1998.
- 19Public policy issues in health claims for food. J Public Policy Marketing 1991; 6: 65–83.,
- 20Pharmaceutical differentiation through quality of life measurement: a case study. J Pharmaceut Marketing Meas 1991; 6: 65–83.
- 21Cappelleri JC Regulatory issues for health-related quality of life—PhRMA Health Outcomes Committee Workshop, 1999, Value Health 2002; In press., ,