A Resource for Clinical Teachers
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2003
1997 by the Society of General Internal Medicine
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 12, Issue Supplement s2, pages 56–63, April 1997
How to Cite
Skeff, K. M., Stratos, G. A., Mygdal, W., DeWitt, T. A., Manfred, L., Quirk, M., Roberts, K., Greenberg, L. and Bland, C. J. (1997), Faculty Development . Journal of General Internal Medicine, 12: 56–63. doi: 10.1046/j.1525-1497.12.s2.8.x
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2003
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2003
- 1Miller G. Educating Medical Teachers. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press; 1980.
- 2Wittrock MC, ed. Handbook of Research on Teaching. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Macmillan Publishing Co., 1986.
- 5Comparison of clinical teaching by residents and attending physicians in inpatient and lecture settings. Teach Learn Med. 1993;5: 149–57., , , .
- 6Mygdal WK. Participants accept STFM's invitation to excellence. STFM Messenger. February 1994.
- 7The Stanford Faculty Development Program for Medical Teachers: a dissemination approach to faculty development for medical teachers. Teach Learn Med. 1992;4: 180–7., , , et al.
- 12Benor DE, Mahler S. Training medical teachers: rationale and outcomes. In: Schmidt HG, Lipkin M, de Vries MW, Greep JM, eds. New Directions for Medical Education: Problem-Based Learning and Community-Oriented Medical Education. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag; 1989:248–70.
- 13Schmidt HG, Bouhuijs PAJ, Khattab T, Makladi F. Attitude change among medical teachers: effects of a workshop on tutorials. In: Schmidt HG, Lipkin M, de Vries MW, Greep JM, eds. New Directions for Medical Education: Problem-Based Learning and Community-Oriented Medical Education. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag;1989:243–7.
- 14Skeff KM. Setting the research agenda. In: Proceedings of the American College of Physicians’ National Community-Based Teaching Symposium, February 2–3, 1996, American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, Pa. 77–99.
- 15Skeff KM, Stratos GA, Bergen MA, Guarino, C. The implementation and evaluation of a teaching improvement method for faculty in the medical school basic sciences. Final Report submitted to Bing Teaching Initiative, School of Humanities and Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif, 1993.
- 16Maslow AH. Motivation and Personality. New York, NY: Harper & Row; 1954.
- 19Elstein AS, Shulman LS, Sprafka SA. Medical Problem Solving: An Analysis of Clinical Reasoning. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press; 1978.
- 20Knowledge and teaching: foundations of the new reform. Harv Educ Rev. 1987;57(s2):1–22.
- 23Stritter FT. Faculty evaluation and development. In: McGuire CH, Foley RP, Gorr A, Richards RW, eds. Handbook of Health Professions Education. San Francisco, Calif: Jossey-Bass; 1983:294–318.
- 24Skeff KM, Berman J, Stratos G. A review of clinical teaching improvement methods and a theoretical framework for their evaluation. In: Edwards JC, Marier RL, eds. Clinical Teaching for Medical Residents: Roles, Techniques and Programs. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company; 1988:93–121.
- 25Dinham SM, Stritter FT. Research on professional education. In: Wittrock MC, ed. Handbook of Research on Teaching. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Macmillan Publishing Co; 1986:952–70.
- 26Bland CJ, Schmitz CC, Stritter FT, Henry RC, Aluise JJ. Successful Faculty in Academic Medicine: Essential Skills and How to Acquire Them. New York, NY: Springer Publication; 1990.
- 27Fellowship Directory for Family Physicians. Kansas City, MO: American Academy of Family Physicians/Society of Teachers of Family Medicine; 1995.
- 28Fellowship Directory for General Internal Medicine. Washington, DC: Society of General Internal Medicine; 1996.
- 29General Pediatric Fellowships, within a compendium of all pediatrics fellowships. Pediatr. January 1996.
- 33Lipkin M, Putman S, Lazare A, eds. The Medical Interview. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag; 1995.
- 34The Texas Statewide Preceptorship Program: A decade of service to family medicine in Texas. Texas Fam Phys. 1990;41(s2):8..
- 35Developing the private practice physician as a teacher of family medicine. Fam Med. 1983;15: 43–6., , .
- 36Howard DM, Bass EB, Kern DE. Evaluation of a faculty development program on curricular innovation for academic and practicing internists. Proceedings of the conference: Teaching Internal Medicine; October, 1991; Chicago, Ill.
- 38Brooks B, Gephart D, Ladd-Brown L. Engaging community-based preceptors: redefining their role with the academic medical center. Eighth Biennial Teaching Internal Medicine Symposium; September, 1995.
- 40Hewson M. The Wisconsin Teaching Improvement Program. Presented at workshop on Improving Medical Teaching: A Case-based Approach to Effective Teaching Strategies. AAMC Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, November 1995.
- 43Using standardized ambulatory teaching situations for faculty development. Teach Learn Med. 1992;4: 58–61., , .
- 46Hafler JP. The New Pathway—problem-based faculty development. Presented at workshop on Improving Medical Teaching: A Case-based Approach to Effective Teaching Strategies. AAMC Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, November 1995.
- 50Teaching Internal Medicine, Conference Proceedings. Washington, DC: Association of Professors of Medicine/Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine.
- 51Resource materials for faculty development. Fam Med. 1997. In Press.& .
- 52Bland CJ, Schmitz CC. An overview of research on faculty and institutional vitality. In: Schuster JH, Wheeler DW, eds. Enhancing Faculty Careers: Strategies for Renewal. San Francisco, Calif: Jossey-Bass: 1988:41–64.
- 54Faculty Development for Community-Based Teachers. Final Report submitted to American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, Pa;1996., , .
- 55Rosenthal TL, Bandura A. Psychological modeling: theory and practice. In: Garfield SL, Bergin AE, eds. Handbook of Psychotherapy and Behavior Change: An Empirical Analysis. New York, NY: Wiley; 1978.
- 56Knowles M. The Adult Learner: A Neglected Species. Houston, Tex: Gulf; 1978.
- 57Trower P, Bryant B, Argyle M. Social Skills and Mental Health. London, UK: Methuen; 1978.