Adherence of Low-income Women to Cancer Screening Recommendations
The Roles of Primary Care, Health Insurance, and HMOs
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2002
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 144–154, February 2002
How to Cite
O'Malley, A. S., Forrest, C. B. and Mandelblatt, J. (2002), Adherence of Low-income Women to Cancer Screening Recommendations. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 17: 144–154. doi: 10.1046/j.1525-1497.2002.10431.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2002
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2002
- 1Cancer Statistics ReviewCS. 1973–1987. SEER Program. Bethesda Md: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, PHS, NIH, NCI. NIH publication no. 90–2789;1990.
- 4National Cancer Institute. Cancer Statistics Review 1973–1986: Including a Report on the Status of Cancer Control. Bethesda, Md: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. National Cancer Institute. NIH publication no. 89–2789;1989.
- 12Breast cancer detection demonstration project: five year summary report. Cancer. 1982;32:192–225..
- 15Periodic Screening for Breast Cancer: The Health Insurance Plan Project and Its Sequelae, 1963–1986. Baltimore, Md: Johns Hopkins University Press;1988., , , .
- 17Does screening for breast cancer save lives? Effectiveness of treatment after breast cancer detection following screening by clinical breast examination, mammography, and breast self-examination. In: LawrenceRS, GoldbloomR, eds. Preventing Disease. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag NY Inc.; 1989:251–64., , .
- 18U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to services. Clinical Preventive Services. 2nd ed. Baltimore, Md: Williams and Wilkins; 1996.
- 21Trends in cancer screening—1987 and 1992. Oncology (Huntingt). 1996;3:328–30., .
- 38HHS. The 1999 HHS Poverty Guidelines. Federal Register, Vol. 64, No. 52, March 18, 1999:13428–30. http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/99poverty.htm. Accessed February, 2000.
- 41Measuring Functioning and Well-Being: The Medical Outcomes Study Approach. Durham, NC: Duke University Press; 1992., , eds.
- 43National Health Interview Survey (NHIS). National Center for Health Statistics. www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis.htm. Accessed February, 2000.
- 44Pathways to early cancer detection for Latinas: en accion contra el cancer. Health Educ Q. 1996;23:41S–59S., , , .
- 46Institute of Medicine. Primary Care: America's Health in a New Era. Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Sciences; 1996.
- 47Primary Care: Balancing health Needs, Services, and Technology. New York: Oxford University Press; 1998..
- 48Applied Logistic Regression. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.; 1989., .
- 49SAS Institute Inc. Cary NC, Version 8.
- 51Statistical Methods in Epidemiology. New York: Oxford University Press; 1989., .
- 52Current Population Survey, March 1999 CPS Data. Annual Demographic Survey (March CPS Supplement) 1999 Methodology and Documentation.Washington, D.C.: U.S. Bureau of the Census; 1999.
- 57HCFA. Medicare and You: Medicare Preventive Services. Publication #HCFA-10110, Revised May 2000. www.medicare.gov/Basics. Accessed January, 2001.
- 59US Census for Washington. D.C. STF1. http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/census/historic/phone.html. Accessed February, 2000.
- 63Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions. New York: John Wiley and Sons; 1973..
- 64www2.cdc.gov/nccdphp/brfss/age.asp/cat=WH&yr=1997&qkey=34/2&state=DC. Accessed January, 2001.
- 65Health Care Financing Administration. Medicare Denominator File. Washington, D.C.: Health Care Financing Administration; 1999.
- 66Letter from Rep. Nancy L. Johnson. Washington Post. October 2, 2000:A34..