Importance of Backyard Habitat in a Comprehensive Biodiversity Conservation Strategy: A Connectivity Analysis of Urban Green Spaces
Version of Record online: 5 JUN 2002
Volume 10, Issue 2, pages 368–375, JUNE 2002
How to Cite
Rudd, H., Vala, J. and Schaefer, V. (2002), Importance of Backyard Habitat in a Comprehensive Biodiversity Conservation Strategy: A Connectivity Analysis of Urban Green Spaces. Restoration Ecology, 10: 368–375. doi: 10.1046/j.1526-100X.2002.02041.x
- Issue online: 5 JUN 2002
- Version of Record online: 5 JUN 2002
- 1989. Wildlife reserves and corridors in urban environments. National Institute for Wildlife, Columbia, Maryland. , and .
- 1994. Effect of habitat fragmentation on birds and mammals in landscapes with different proportions of suitable habitat: a review. Oikos 71:355–366.
- 1998. Do habitat corridors provide habitat connectivity? Conservation Biology 12:1241–1252. , and .
- 1994. Corridor use and the elements of corridor quality: chipmunks and fencerows in a farmland mosaic. Biological Conservation 68:155–165. , , and .
- 1995. South Florida greenways: a conceptual framework for the ecological reconnectivity of the region. Landscape and Urban Planning 33:247–266. , , and .
- City of Coquitlam. 1999. Watercourse Map, 1:20,000. Operations Department, Geomatics Division, Coquitlam, British Columbia.
- 1985. Habitat patch connectivity and population survival. Ecology 66:1762–1768. , and .
- Fraser River Estuary Study Steering Committee 1978. Fraser River estuary study: habitat. Vol. 4. Government of Canada and Province of British Columbia. Victoria, British Columbia.
- 1987. The ecology of urban habitats. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 1991. Metapopulation dynamics: brief history and conceptual domain. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 42:3–16. , and .
- 1994. Metapopulation dynamics and conservation: a spatially explicit model applied to butterflies. Biological Conservation 68:167–180. , and .
- 1991. Dispersal and connectivity in metapopulations. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 42:89–103.
- 1984. The fragmented forest: island biogeography theory and the preservation of biotic diversity. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois.
- 1990. Nature conservation: the role of corridors. Ambio 19:94–95. , and .
- 1995. Greenway planning: developing a landscape ecological network approach. Landscape and Urban Planning 33:179–193 , , and .
- 1983. A regional landscape approach to maintain diversity. BioScience 33:700–706.
- 1995. Habitat fragmentation and the individual: tawny owls Strix aluco in woodland patches. Journal of Animal Ecology 64:652–661.
- 1989. Habitat area requirements of the breeding forest birds of the middle Atlantic states. Wildlife Monographs 103:1–34. , , and .
- 1991. Consequences of forest fragmentation for the dynamics of bird populations: conceptual issues and the evidence. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 42:149–163.
- 1992. Urban ravines. Vol. 1. B.C. lower mainland urban ravines inventory. Douglas College Institute of Urban Ecology, New Westminster, British Columbia. , , , , and .
- 1994. Urban biodiversity. Pages 307–318 in L.Harding and E.McCullum, editors. Biodiversity in B.C. Environment Canada, Canadian Wildlife Service, Victoria, British Columbia.
- 1996. Dispersal and habitat connectivity in complex heterogeneous landscapes: an analysis with a GIS-based random walk model. Ecography 19:97–106. , , , and .
- 1993. Connectivity is a vital element of landscape structure. Oikos 68:571–573. , , , and .
- 1992. Effects of habitat fragmentation on the bank vole, Clethrionomys glareolus, in an agricultural landscape. Oikos 65:265–274. , , , and .