Mutagenesis by Transient Misalignment in the Human Mitochondrial DNA Control Region
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2004
Annals of Human Genetics
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 324–339, July 2004
How to Cite
Malyarchuk, B. A. and Rogozin, I. B. (2004), Mutagenesis by Transient Misalignment in the Human Mitochondrial DNA Control Region. Annals of Human Genetics, 68: 324–339. doi: 10.1046/j.1529-8817.2004.00099.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2004
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2004
- Received: 11 November 2003 Accepted: 26 January 2004
- 2000 The ancestry of Brazilian mtDNA lineages. Am J Hum Genet 67, 444–461. , , , , , &
- 1981 Sequence and organization of the human mitochondrial genome. Nature 290, 457–465. , , , , & et al .
- 1999 Reanalysis and revision of the Cambridge reference sequence for human mitochondrial DNA. Nat Genet 23, 147. , , , , &
- 2001 Phylogeography of the human mitochondrial haplogroup L3e: a snapshot of African prehistory and Atlantic slave trade. Ann Hum Genet 65, 549–563. , , , , & et al .
- 1995 Mitochondrial portraits of human populations using median networks. Genetics 141, 743–753. , , &
- 2000 Median networks: speedy construction and greedy reduction, one simulation, and two case studies from human mtDNA. Mol Phylogenet Evol 16, 8–28. , &
- 2002 The fingerprint of phantom mutations in mtDNA data. Am J Hum Genet 71, 1150–160. , , &
- 1997 Oxidative decay of DNA. J Biol Chem 272, 19633–19636. &
- 1999 Repair of mtDNA in vertebrates. Am J Hum Genet 64, 1276–1281.
- 2003 Mammalian mitochondrial DNA replicates bidirectionally from an initiation zone. J Biol Chem 278, 50961–50969. , , , , , &
- 1980 Polymorphism in mitochondrial DNA of humans as revealed by restriction endonuclease analysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 77, 3605–3609.
- 2000 mtDNA variation in the South African Kung and Khwe - and their genetic relationships to other African populations. Am J Hum Genet 66, 1362–1383. , , , , &
- 1992 8-Hydroxyguanine, an abundant form of oxidative DNA damage, causes GT and AC substitutions. J Biol Chem 267, 166–172. , , , &
- 1982 Replication of animal mitochondrial DNA. Cell 28, 693–705.
- 2003 Mutations in DNA polymerase gamma cause error prone DNA synthesis in human mitochondrial disorders. Acta Biochim Polonica 50, 155–167. , , , &
- 2002 Mitochondrial DNA alteration in cancer. Cancer Invest 20, 557–569. , , &
- 2001 Base excision repair in nuclear and mitochondrial DNA. Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol 68, 285–297. , , , , &
- 2002a Mitochondrial DNA variation in Kets and Nganasans and the early peopling of Northern Eurasia. Russ J Genet 38, 1554–1560. , , , &
- 2002b Traces of Early Eurasians in the Mansi of Northwest Siberia revealed by mitochondrial DNA analysis. Am J Hum Genet 70, 1009–1014. , , &
- 2003 Diversity of mitochondrial DNA lineages in South Siberia. Ann Hum Genet 67, 391–411. , , , , & et al .
- 1999 Substitution rate variation among sites in mitochondrial hypervariable region I of humans and chimpanzees. Mol Biol Evol 16, 1357–1368. &
- 2001 Phylogenetic network for European mtDNA. Am J Hum Genet 68, 1475–1484. , &
- 1988 Comparison of ape and human sequences that regulate mitochondrial DNA transcription and D-loop DNA synthesis. Nucl Acids Res 16, 5841–5861. , &
- 1994 In organello footprint analysis of human mitochondrial DNA: Human mitochondrial transcription factor A interactions at the origin of replication. Mol Cell Biol 14, 7717–7730. , , , &
- 2003 Characterization of genetic miscoding lesions caused by postmortem damage. Am J Hum Genet 72, 48–61. , , , , , &
- 1980 Maternal inheritance of human mitochondrial DNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 77, 6715–6719. , , &
- 1998 The subclass approach for mutational spectrum analysis: application of the SEM algorithm. J Theor Biol 192, 475–487. , &
- 1993 Toward a more accurate time scale for the human mitochondrial DNA tree. J Mol Evol 37, 347–354. , , &
- 2002 Reduced-median-network analysis of complete mitochondrial DNA coding-region sequences for the major African, Asian and European haplogroups. Am J Hum Genet 70, 1152–1171. , , , , & et al .
- 2001 Phylogenetic and familial estimates of mitochondrial substitution rates: study of control region mutations in deep-rooting pedigrees. Am J Hum Genet 69, 1113–1126. , , , , &
- 1997 Population genetics and disease susceptibility: characterization of central European haplogroups by mtDNA gene mutations, correlations with D loop variants and association with disease. Hum Mol Genet 6, 1835–1846. , , , , , &
- 2002 Maintenance of mitochondrial DNA integrity: repair and degradation. Curr Genet 41, 311–322 &
- 2002 The emerging limbs and twigs of the East Asian mtDNA tree. Mol Biol Evol 19, 1737–1751. , , , , , &
- 1985 The mutational specificity of DNA polymerase-beta during in vitro DNA synthesis. Production of frameshift, base substitution, and deletion mutations. J Biol Chem 260, 5787–5796.
- 1988 Mutagenesis by transient misalignment. J Biol Chem 263, 14784–14789. &
- 1993 Instability and decay of the primary structure of DNA. Nature 362, 709–715.
- 1986 Mutagenesis by apurinic/apyrimidinic sites. Annu Rev Genet 20, 201–230. &
- 2001 The fidelity of human DNA polymerase gamma with and without exonucleolytic proofreading and the p55 accessory subunit. J Biol Chem 276, 38555–38562. , , &
- 1999 The emerging tree of West Eurasian mtDNAs: a synthesis of control-region sequences and RFLPs. Am J Hum Genet 64, 232–249. , , , , & et al .
- 2001 Major genomic mitochondrial lineages delineate early human expansions. BMC Genetics 2, 13. , , , &
- 2001 Variation of human mitochondrial DNA: Distribution of hot spots in hypervariable segment I of the major noncoding region. Rus J Genet 37, 823–832. &
- 2002a Mitochondrial DNA variability in Poles and Russians. Ann Hum Genet 66, 261–283. , , , , &
- 2002b Analysis of phylogenetically reconstructed mutational spectra in human mitochondrial DNA control region. Hum Genet 111, 46–53. , , &
- 1999 Mitochondrial mutagenesis in human cells and tissues. Mutat Res 434, 177–203. &
- 2003 Mismatch repair activity in mammalian mitochondria. Nucl Acids Res 31, 1052–1058. , , &
- 2003 Identifying site-specific substitution rates. Mol Biol Evol 20, 182–189. &
- 1999 Pattern of nucleotide substitution and rate heterogeneity in the hypervariable regionsv I and II of human mtDNA. Genetics 152, 1103–1110. , &
- 2003 Site-specific somatic mitochondrial DNA point mutations in patients with thymidine phosphorylase deficiency. J Clin Invest 111, 1913–1921. , , &
- 2001 A novel method for estimating substitution rate variation among sites in a large dataset of homologous DNA sequence. Genetics 157, 859–865. &
- 1998 Efficient repair of abasic sites in DNA by mitochondrial enzymes. Mol Cell Biol 18, 1257–1265. &
- 1999 Genetic evidence for an early exit of Homo sapiens sapiens from Africa through eastern Africa. Nat Genet 23, 437–441. , , , , &
- 1998 Phylogeography of mitochondrial DNA in Western Europe. Ann Hum Genet 62, 241–260. , , &
- 2000 Tracing European founder lineages in the Near Eastern mtDNA pool. Am J Hum Genet 67, 1251–1276. , , , , & et al .
- 1988 Normal oxidative damage to mitochondrial and nuclear DNA is extensive. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85, 6465–6467. , &
- 1998 Asymmetrical directional mutation pressure in the mitochondrial genome of mammals. Mol Biol Evol 15, 957–966. , , &
- 2001 Use of mutation spectra analysis software. Hum Mutat 17, 83–102. , &
- 2002 The making of the African mtDNA landscape. Am J Hum Genet 71, 1082–1111. , , , , & et al .
- 1997 Mitochondrial DNA maintenance in vertebrates. Annu Rev Biochem 66, 409–435. &
- 2000 On the estimation of the rate of nucleotide substitution for the control region of human mitochondrial DNA. Gene 259, 189–197.
- 2001 Do the four clades of the mtDNA haplogroup L2 evolve at different rates Am J Hum Genet 69, 1348–1356. , , , , & et al .
- 1993 Substitution rate variation among sites in hypervariable region 1 of human mitochondrial DNA. J Mol Evol 37, 613–623.
- 1999 Mitochondrial diseases in mouse and man. Science 283, 1482–1488.
- 2002 Biased incorporation of ribonucleotides on the mitochondrial L-strand accounts for a apparent strand-asymmetric DNA replication. Cell 111, 495–505. , , , , & et al .
- 2002 Phylogenetic differentiation of mitochondrial DNA in Han Chinese. Am J Hum Genet 70, 635–651. , , , &