High-Velocity Resistance Training Increases Skeletal Muscle Peak Power in Older Women
Article first published online: 8 MAY 2002
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Volume 50, Issue 4, pages 655–662, April 2002
How to Cite
Fielding, R. A., LeBrasseur, N. K., Cuoco, A., Bean, J., Mizer, K. and Singh, M. A. F. (2002), High-Velocity Resistance Training Increases Skeletal Muscle Peak Power in Older Women. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 50: 655–662. doi: 10.1046/j.1532-5415.2002.50159.x
- Issue published online: 8 MAY 2002
- Article first published online: 8 MAY 2002
- 4Age-associated loss of power and strength in the upper extremities in women and men. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 1997;52A:B267–B276., , et al.
- 7Association of muscle power with functional status in community-dwellng elderly women. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2000;55A:M192–M199., , et al.
- 13Changes in power with resistance training in older and younger men and women. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 1999;54A:M655–M664., , et al.
- 17SF36 Health Survey Manual and Interpretation Guide. Boston, MA: Nimrod Press, 1993..
- 24Effect of resistance training on single muscle fiber contractile function in older men. J Appl Physiol 1999;89:143–152., , et al.
- 25Training effect of different loads on the force-velocity relationship and mechanical power output in human muscle. Scand J Sports Sci 1983;5:50–55., , et al.
- 30Muscle strength and fiber adaptations to a year-long resistance training program in elderly men and women. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 1994;49A:M22–M27., , et al.
- 31Long-term resistance training in the elderly: Effects on dynamic strength, exercise capacity, muscle, and bone. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 1995;50A:B97–B104., , et al.
- 33The effect of strength and endurance training on gait, balance, fall risk, and health services use in community-living older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 1997;52A:M218–M224., , et al.