1. Living donor liver transplantation (LDLT) is currently performed at about 30 centers in the United States.
2. Careful and critical evaluation of donor and recipient is required for optimal outcome.
3. Right lobe donation is preferred over left lobe donation in adult LDLT.
4. There has been 1 donor death (<0.3%) in the US experiences. Donor biliary complications occur in approximately 4% of the cases.
5. Recipient survival after adult LDLT in the United States is approximately 88%. Hepatic artery thrombosis occurs in 3% and biliary complications in 18%.