1. Ethical principles and informed consent standards should be implemented for all living donors.
2. Institutions that perform living donor transplantation should provide an independent donor advocate to ensure that informed consent standards and ethical principles are applied to the practice of all live organ donor transplantation.
3. A database of health outcomes for all live donors should be established and funded through and under the auspices of the US Department of Health and Human Services.
4. Serious consideration should be given to the establishment of a separate resource center for living donors and their families.
5. The present preference in Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network allocation policy, given to previous living organ donors who subsequently need a kidney, should be extended so that any living organ donor would be given preference as a candidate for any organ transplant, should one become needed.
.6. A process should be established to verify qualifications of a center to perform living donor liver or lung transplantation.