Children's Talk and the Development of Reasoning in the Classroom
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
1999 British Educational Research Association
British Educational Research Journal
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 95–111, February 1999
How to Cite
Mercer, N., Wegerif, R. and Dawes, L. (1999), Children's Talk and the Development of Reasoning in the Classroom. British Educational Research Journal, 25: 95–111. doi: 10.1080/0141192990250107
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received 26 April 1998; resubmitted 1 July 1998; accepted 3 July 1998
- 1977. Communication and Learning in Small Groups, London: Routledge & Kegan Paul. and
- 1995. Communication and Learning Revisited, Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann. and
- 1992. Managing Classroom Groups, London: Simon & Schuster. and
- 1989. “Guided, cooperative learning and individual knowledge acquisition” In Knowing, Learning and Instruction, Edited by: Resnick, L. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum. and
- 1990. Acts of Meaning, London: Harvard University Press.
- 1990. What one intelligence test measures: a theoretical account of the processing in the Raven Progressive Matrices text. Psychological Review, 97: 404–431. , and
- 1997. Genre and Institutions: social processes in the workplace and school, London: Cassell. and
- 1991. Thinking skills and the whole curriculum. The Curriculum Journal, 2: 183–199.
- 1997. “Teaching talking” In Computers and Talk in the Primary Classroom, Edited by: Wegerif, R. and Scrimshaw, P. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- 1998. “Developing exploratory talk” In Teaching Speaking and Listening in the Primary School, Edited by: Grugeon, L., Hubbard, L., Smith, C. and Da Wes, L. London: David Fulton.
- 1987. CoRT Thinking Program. Workcards and Teachers’ Notes, Chicago, IL: Science Research Associates.
- 1994. Investigating Classroom Talk, 2nd edn., London: Falmer Press. and
- 1987. Common Knowledge: the development of understanding in the classroom, London: Mcthuen/Routledge. and
- 1989. Teaching in the Primary School, London: David Fulton.
- 1992. Group Work in the Primary Classroom, London: Routledge. and
- 1994. “What we know about effective primary teaching” In Thinking through Primary Practice, Edited by: Bourne, J. London: Routledge.
- 1993. Peer collaboration: conflict, cooperation, or both?. Social Development, 23: 165–182.
- 1991. Thinking in Education, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1994a. “Neo-Vygotskian theory and education” In Language, Literacy and Learning in Educational Practice, Edited by: Stierer, B. and Maybin, J. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- 1994b. The quality of talk in children's joint activity at the computer. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 10: 24–32.
- 1995. The Guided Construction of Knowledge: talk amongst teachers and learners, Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- 1996. The quality of talk in children's collaborative activity in the classroom. Learning and Instruction, 6: 359–379.
- 1985. The Teaching of Thinking, Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. , and
- 1987. “Dialogical thinking: critical thought essential to the acquisition of rational knowledge and passions” In Teaching Thinking Skills: theory and practice, Edited by: Baron, J. B. and Sternberg, R. J. New York: H. Freeman.
- 1970. The Science of Education and the Psychology of the Child, New York: Viking Press.
- 1995. Manual for Raven's Progressive Matrices and Vocabulary Scales, Oxford: Oxford Psychologists Press. , and
- 1987. Education and Learning to Think, New York: National Academic Press.
- 1990. Apprenticeship in Thinking: cognitive development in social context, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1991. “Development viewed in its cultural context” In Learning to Think, Edited by: Light, P., Sheldon, A. and Woodhead, M. London: Routledge with the Open University. , and
- 1997. Cooperative learning and the appropriation of procedural knowledge by primary school children. Learning and Instruction, 7: 37–62. , , and
- 1991. School Writing: discovering the ground rules, Milton Keynes: Open University Press. and
- 1962. Thought and Language, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. originally published 1934, Moscow, Sotsekriz.
- 1981. “The genesis of higher mental functions” In The Concept of Activity in Soviet Psychology, Edited by: Wertsch, J. V. New York: Sharpe.
- 1996. Using computers to help coach exploratory talk across the curriculum. Computers and Education, 26: 1–3. 51–60.
- 1997a. “A dialogical framework for researching peer talk” In Computers and Talk in the Primary Classroom, Edited by: Wegerif, R. and Scrimshaw, P. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters. and
- 1997b. Using computer-based text analysis to integrate quantitative and qualitative methods in the investigation of collaborative learning. Language and Education, 11: 271–286. and
- 1998. Software design to support discussion in the primary classroom. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 14: 199–211. , and
- 1991. Voices of the Mind, New York: Harvester.
- 1992. Critical thinking: curriculum and instructional policy implications. Journal of Educational Policy, 7: 37–43.