Perceptual Processing Affects Conceptual Processing
Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2010
2008 Cognitive Science Society, Inc.
Volume 32, Issue 3, pages 579–590, April-May 2008
How to Cite
Van Dantzig, S., Pecher, D., Zeelenberg, R. and Barsalou, L. W. (2008), Perceptual Processing Affects Conceptual Processing. Cognitive Science, 32: 579–590. doi: 10.1080/03640210802035365
- Issue online: 10 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2010
- Received 06 Sep 2006; received in revised from 21 Mar 2007; accepted 01 Jun 2007
- Comprehension and semantic flexibility. Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior. 1974 13 471–481. , , , ,
- Context-independent and context-dependent information in concepts. Memory & Cognition 1982 10 82–93.
- Flexibility, structure, and linguistic vagary in concepts: Manifestations of a compositional system of perceptual symbols In Collins, A. C., Gathercole, S. E., Conway, M. A. (Eds.), Theories of memory 1993 Hillsdal, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc 29–101.
- Perceptual symbol systems. Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 1999 22 577–660.
- Retrieval time from semantic memory. Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Memory. 1969 8 240–247. ,
- The language of thought 1975 Cambridg, MA: Harvard University Press.
- What memory is for. Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 1997 20 1–55.
- Perceptual knowledge retrieval activates sensory brain regions. The Journal of Neuroscience. 2006 26 4917–4921. , ,
- The emulation theory of representation: Motor control, imagery, and perception. Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 2004 27 377–442.
- The symbol grounding problem. Physica D 1990 42 335–346.
- Only connections: A critique of semantic networks. Psychological Bulletin 1984 96 292–315. , ,
- Perception of motion affects language processing. Cognition 2005 94 B79–B89. , , , , , ,
- Perception of auditory motion affects language processing. Cognitive Science. 2006 30 733–744. , , ,
- The representation of knowledge in minds and machines. International Journal of Psychology. 1998 33 411–420.
- Specialization and semantic organization: Evidence for multiple-semantics linked to sensory modalities. Memory & Cognition. 2006 34 60–67.
- Functional neuroimaging of semantic memory In Cabeza, R., Kingstone, A. (Eds.), Handbook of functional neuroimaging of cognition 2001 Cambridg, MA: MIT Press 153–186.
- The representation of object concepts in the brain. Annual Review of Psychology. 2007 58 25–45.
- Semantic memory and the brain: Structure and process. Current Opinion in Neurobiology. 2001 11 194–201. ,
- Attributes of theories of meaning. Psychological Bulletin. 1989 106 355–376. ,
- Comprehension of motion verbs affects the detection of visual motion: Evidence from psychophysics. Psychological Science. 2007 18 1007–1013. Direct Link:, ,
- Human problem solving 1972 Englewood Cliff, NJ: Prentice-Hall. ,
- Attention, similarity, and the identification–categorization relationship. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. 1986 115 39–57.
- Verifying visual properties in sentence verification facilitates picture recognition memory. Experimental Psychology. 2007 54 173–179. , ,
- Verifying different-modality properties for concepts produces switching costs. Psychological Science. 2003 14 119–124. Direct Link:, ,
- Grounding cognition: The role of perception and action in memory, language, and thinking 2005 Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. ,
- Holism, conceptual-role semantics, and syntactic semantics. Minds and Machines 2002 12 3–59.
- Spatial representations activated during real-time comprehension of verbs. Cognitive Science 2003 27 767–780. , , ,
- Perceptual simulation in property verification. Memory & Cognition. 2004 32 244–259. ,
- The cost of expecting events in the wrong sensory modality. Perception & Psychophysics. 2001 63 330–336. , ,
- The effect of implied orientation derived from verbal context on picture recognition. Psychological Science 2001 12 153–156. Direct Link:,
- Sensory load incurs conceptual processing costs 2007 Manuscript submitted for publication. , , ,
- Switching between sensory and affective systems incurs processing costs. Cognitive Science. 2007 31 183–192. , ,
- Semantic context effects and priming in word association. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review 2003 10 653–660. , , ,
- Embodied sentence comprehension In Pecher, D., Zwaan, R. A. (Eds.), The grounding of cognition: The role of perception and action in memory, language, and thinking 2005 Cambridge England: Cambridge University Press 224–245. ,
- Language comprehenders mentally represent the shapes of objects. Psychological Science 2002 13 168–171. Direct Link:, ,