Construction of a fluorescent biosensor family
Version of Record online: 13 APR 2009
Copyright © 2002 The Protein Society
Volume 11, Issue 11, pages 2655–2675, November 2002
How to Cite
De Lorimier, R. M., Smith, J. J., Dwyer, M. A., Looger, L. L., Sali, K. M., Paavola, C. D., Rizk, S. S., Sadigov, S., Conrad, D. W., Loew, L. and Hellinga, H. W. (2002), Construction of a fluorescent biosensor family. Protein Science, 11: 2655–2675. doi: 10.1110/ps.021860
- Issue online: 13 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 13 APR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 AUG 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 16 AUG 2002
- Manuscript Received: 7 JUN 2002
- 1991. Peptide transport and chemotaxis in Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium: Characterization of the dipeptide permease (Dpp) and the dipeptide-binding protein. Mol. Microbiol. 5: 1035–1047. , , , and
- 1995. Biochemical characterization of a Haemophilus influenzae periplasmic iron transport operon. J. Biol. Chem. 270: 25142–25149. , , , , , and
- 1968. Transport of sugars and amino acids in bacteria. I. Purification and specificity of the galactose- and leucine-binding proteins. J. Biol. Chem. 243: 3116–3122.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International, 16th ed. AOAC International, Arlington, VA.
- APHA. 1992. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, 18th ed. American Public Health Association, Washington, D.C.
- 1975. Purification and properties of glutamate binding protein from the periplasmic space of Escherichia coli K-12. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 386: 168–180. and
- 2001. Design of bioelectronic interfaces by exploiting hinge-bending motions in proteins. Science 293: 1641–1644. , , , , and
- 2000. The Protein Data Bank. Nucleic Acids Res. 28: 235–242. , , , , , , , and
- 1998. Multiple open forms of ribose-binding protein trace the path of its conformational change. J. Mol. Biol. 279: 651–664. and
- 1997. The complete genome sequence of Escherichia coli K-12. Science 277: 1453–1474. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1984. Regulation of ribosomal RNA promoters with a synthetic lac operator. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 81: 6929–6933. and
- 1994. Direct, real-time measurement of rapid inorganic phosphate release using a novel fluorescent probe and its application to actomyosin subfragment 1 ATPase. Biochemistry 33: 8262–8271. , , , and
- 1997. Structure of Haemophilus influenzae Fe(+3)-binding protein reveals convergent evolution within a superfamily. Nat. Struct. Biol. 4: 919–924. , , , , , , and
- 2001. Crystallographic and biochemical analyses of the metal-free Haemophilus influenzae Fe3+-binding protein. Biochemistry 40: 15631–15637. , , , , , , and
- 1979. Clinical laboratory estimations of serum and urinary phosphate. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 72: 326–329. , , and
- 1985. Measurement of blood glucose. Ann. Clin. Biochem. 22: 327–342. and
- 1994. Teitz textbook of clinical chemistry, 2nd ed. W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia. and
- 1982. Proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and ligand binding dynamics of the Escherichia coli L-arabinose binding protein. Biochemistry 21: 2227–2233. , , and
- 2001. Optical determination of glutamine using a genetically engineered protein. Anal. Biochem. 291: 89–95. and
- 1996. Development of an arabinose-fermenting Zymomonas mobilis strain by metabolic pathway engineering. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 62: 4465–4470. , , , and
- 1992. ‘Functional and structural studies of a small f-actin binding domain.’ Ph.D. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- 1995. Crystal structure of the dipeptide binding protein from Escherichia coli involved in active transport and chemotaxis. Protein Sci. 4: 2327–2334. and
- 1984. Sequences of the malE gene and of its product, the maltose-binding protein of Escherichia coli K12. J. Biol. Chem. 259: 10606–10613. , , , , , and
- 1958. A colorimetric method for determining low concentrations of mercaptans. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 74: 443–450.
- EPA. 1999. Health effects from exposure to high levels of sulfate in drinking water study. Publication No. 815R99001 (pp. 1–25). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Drinking Water and Ground Water, Washington, DC.
- 1994. Engineering the maltose binding protein for reagentless fluorescence sensing. Anal. Chem. 66: 3840–3847. , , , and
- 1997. Spectroscopic properties of an engineered maltose binding protein. Prot. Eng. 10: 479–486. , , , , and
- 1983. The amino acid sequence of D-ribose-binding protein from Escherichia coli K12. J. Biol. Chem. 258: 12952–12956. , , , , , , and
- 1986. Binding specificity of the periplasmic oligopeptide-binding protein from Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 168: 775–779. , , and
- 1991. Biosensors. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- 1983. Studies on transformation of Escherichia coli with plasmids. J. Mol. Biol. 166: 557–580.
- 1993. Dominant role of local dipoles in stabilizing uncompensated charges on a sulfate sequestered in a periplasmic active transport protein. Protein Sci. 2: 1643–1647. and
- 1985. Nucleotide sequence and high-level expression of the major Escherichia coli phosphofructokinase. Eur. J. Biochem. 149: 363–373. and
- 1998. Protein engineering and the development of generic biosensors. Trends Biotech. 16: 183–189. and
- 1991. Construction of new ligand binding sites in proteins of known structure. I. Computer-aided modeling of sites with pre-defined geometry. J. Mol. Biol. 222: 763–785. and
- 1998. Crystal structure of phosphate binding protein labeled with a coumarin fluorophore, a probe for inorganic phosphate. Biochemistry 37: 10381–10385. , , , , , , and
- 1989. Site-directed mutagenesis by overlap extension using the polymerase chain reaction. Gene 77: 51–59. , , , , and
- 1987. New metal chelate adsorbent selective for proteins and peptides containing neighbouring histidine residues. J. Chromatogr. A 411: 177–184. , , and
- 1996. The crystal structure of glutamine-binding protein from Escherichia coli. J. Mol. Biol. 262: 225–242. , , , and
- 1988. Sulfate-binding protein dislikes protonated oxyacids. A molecular explanation. J. Mol. Biol. 204: 783–787. and
- 1991. MOLSCRIPT: A program to produce both detailed and schematic plots of protein structures. J. Appl. Crystallogr. 24: 946–950.
- 1999. Principles of fluorescence spectroscopy, 2nd ed., p. 698. Kluwer Academic Press, New York.
- 1996. Negative electrostatic surface potential of protein sites specific for anionic ligands. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 93: 6786–6791. , , , and
- 1990. High specificity of a phosphate transport protein determined by hydrogen bonds. Nature 347: 402–406. and
- 1984. Nucleotide sequence of the phoS gene, the structural gene for the phosphate-binding protein of Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 157: 909–917. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1977. Critical stability constants. Plenum Press, New York. and
- 1992. Iron as a limiting factor. In Primary productivity and biogeochemical cycles in the sea (eds. P.G.Falkowski and A. Woodhead), pp. 123–137. Plenum Press, New York.
- 1998. Engineering biosensors by introducing fluorescent allosteric signal transducers — construction of a novel glucose sensor. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 120: 7–11. and
- 2001a. Conversion of maltose-binding protein into a zinc biosensor by computational design. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 98: 4955–4960. and
- 2001b. Manipulation of ligand binding affinity by exploitation of conformational coupling. Nat. Struct. Biol. 8: 795–798. and
- 1997. The rational design of allosteric interactions in a monomeric protein and its applications to the construction of biosensors. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 94: 4366–4371. , , , , , and
- 1996. Recent developments with biosensing technology and applications in the pharmaceutical industry. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 21: 177–189.
- 1969. The binding and release of phosphate by a protein isolated from Escherichia coli. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 192: 369–371. and
- 1979. The thiol group of the L-arabinose-binding protein. Chromophoric labeling and chemical identification of the sugar-binding site. J. Biol. Chem. 254: 7521–7528. , , and
- 1983. Rates of ligand binding to periplasmic proteins involved in bacterial transport and chemotaxis. J. Biol. Chem. 258: 13665–13672. , , , and
- 1992. 1.7 Å X-ray structure of the periplasmic ribose receptor from Escherichia coli. J. Mol. Biol. 225: 155–175. and
- 1977. A micro-radiochemical assay for α-1,4-glucosidase and its use in the assessment of type II glycogenosis (Pompe's disease). Clin. Chim. Acta 77: 337–342. , , and
- 1995. 2 Å resolution structure of DppA, a periplasmic dipeptide transport/chemosensory receptor. Biochemistry 34: 16585–16595. , , and
- 1986. Cloning and complete nucleotide sequence of the Escherichia coli glutamine permease operon (glnHPQ). Molec. Gen. Genet. 205: 260–269. , , and
- 1994. The bacterial periplasmic histidine-binding protein. Structure/function analysis of the ligand-binding site and comparison with related proteins. J. Biol. Chem. 269: 4135–4143. , , , , , , and
- 1999. Assigning protein functions by comparative genome analysis: Protein phylogenetic profiles. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 96: 4285–4288. , , , , and
- 1985. Sulphate sequestered in the sulphate-binding protein of Salmonella typhimurium is bound solely by hydrogen bonds. Nature 314: 257–260. and
- 1999. Inventory, assembly and analysis of Bacillus subtilis ABC transport systems. J. Mol. Biol. 287: 467–484. , , and
- 1984. Novel stereospecificity of the L-arabinose-binding protein. Nature 310: 381–386. and
- 1996. Atomic structure and specificity of bacterial periplasmic receptors for active transport and chemotaxis: Variation of common themes. Molec. Microbiol. 20: 17–25. and
- 1997. Extensive features of tight oligosaccharide binding revealed in high-resolution structures of the maltodextrin transport/chemosensory receptor. Structure 5: 997–1015. , , and
- 2002. Determination of oligosaccharides in Pompe disease by electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Clin. Chem. 48: 131–139. , , , , , and
- 2001. A novel reagentless sensing system for measuring glucose based on the galactose/glucose-binding protein. Anal. Biochem. 294: 19–26. , , , and
- 1994. Identification of a locus involved in the utilization of iron by Haemophilus influenzae. Infect. Immun. 62: 4515–4525. , , and
- 2001. Research and development in biosensors. Curr. Opin. Biotech. 12: 35–40. , , , and
- 1987. Sequence of the mglB gene from Escherichia coli K12: Comparison of wild-type and mutant galactose chemoreceptors. Mol. Gen. Genet. 208: 247–253. , , , , , and
- 1976. Further studies on the binding of maltose to the maltose-binding protein of Escherichia coli. Eur. J. Biochem. 71: 167–170. , , , and
- 1987. High-affinity L-arabinose transport operon. Nucleotide sequence and analysis of gene products. J. Mol. Biol. 197: 37–46. , , , , , , , and
- 1992. Crystallographic evidence of a large ligand-induced hinge-twist motion between the two domains of the maltodextrin binding protein involved in active transport and chemotaxis. Biochemistry 31: 10657–10663. , , , and
- 1999. Substrate specificity of the periplasmic dipeptide-binding protein from Escherichia coli: Experimental basis for the design of peptide prodrugs. Microbiology 145: 2891–2901. , , , , and
- 1994. Laboratory analysis of cerebrospinal fluid. Clin. Lab. Sci. 7: 32–38. and
- 1991. The 2.3-Å resolution structure of the maltose- or maltodextrin-binding protein, a primary receptor of bacterial active transport and chemotaxis. J. Biol. Chem. 266: 5202–5219. , , and
- 1990. Use of T7 RNA polymerase to direct expression of cloned genes. Methods Enzymol. 185: 60–89. , , , and
- 1998. The structure of glutamine-binding protein complexed with glutamine at 1.94 Å resolution: Comparisons with other amino acid binding proteins. J. Mol. Biol. 278: 219–229. , , , and
- 1993. Structural, functional, and evolutionary relationships among extracellular solute-binding receptors of bacteria. Microbiol. Rev. 57: 320–346. and
- 1991. Histidase and histidinemia. Clinical and molecular considerations. Molec. Biol. Med. 8: 101–116. , , and
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: Improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22: 4673–4680. , , and
- 1999. Glucose sensor for low-cost lifetime-based sensing using a genetically engineered protein. Anal. Biochem. 267: 114–120. , , , , , , and
- 1986. A new method for predicting signal sequence cleavage sites. Nucleic Acids Res. 14: 4683–4690.
- 1994. Crystallographic analysis of the epimeric and anomeric specificity of the periplasmic transport/chemosensory protein receptor for D-glucose and D-galactose. Biochemistry 33: 4762–4768. , , and
- 1988. Sugar and signal-transducer binding sites of the Escherichia coli galactose chemoreceptor protein. Science 242: 1290–1295. , , and
- 1971. A binding protein for L-glutamine and its relation to active transport in E. coli. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 142: 715–717. , , and
- 1974. Purification and properties of a ribose-binding protein from Escherichia coli. J. Biol. Chem. 249: 6926–6929. and
- 1975. Purification and properties of a periplasmic glutamate-aspartate binding protein from Escherichia coli K12 strain W3092. J. Biol. Chem. 250: 2574–2580. and
- 1994. Refined 1.89-Å structure of the histidine-binding protein complexed with histidine and its relationship with many other active transport/chemosensory proteins. Biochemistry 33: 4769–4779. , , and