Can correct protein models be identified?
Article first published online: 1 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2003 The Protein Society
Volume 12, Issue 5, pages 1073–1086, May 2003
How to Cite
Wallner, B. and Elofsson, A. (2003), Can correct protein models be identified?. Protein Science, 12: 1073–1086. doi: 10.1110/ps.0236803
- Issue published online: 1 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 18 OCT 2002
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: A new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Res. 25: 3389–3402. , , , , , , and
- 1994. An improved pair potential to recognize native protein folds. Proteins 18: 254–261. and
- 1995. Neural networks for pattern recognition. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1994. An evolutionary approach to folding small α-helical proteins that uses sequence information and an empirical guiding fitness function. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 91: 4436–4440. and
- 1991. A method to identify protein sequence that fold into a known three-dimensional structure. Science 253: 164–170. , , and
- 1983. CHARMM: A program for macromolecular energy minimization and dynamics calculations. J. Comput. Chem. 4: 187–217. , , , , , and
- 1991. Prediction of human mRNA donor and acceptor sites from the DNA sequence. J. Mol. Biol. 220: 49–65. , , and
- 1987. Correctly folded proteins make twice as many hydrophobic contacts. Int. J. Pept. Prot. Res. 29: 46–52. and
- 2001a. Livebench-1: Continous benchmarking of protein structure prediction servers. Protein Sci. 10: 352–361. , , , and
- 2001b. Livebench-2: Large-scale automated evaluation of protein structure prediction servers. Proteins 45 Suppl 5: 184–191. , , , and
- 2001. Protein threading by learning. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 98: 14350–14355. , , , , and
- 2000. Environment-dependent residue contact energies for proteins. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 97: 2550–2555. and
- 2002. Information-theoretic dissection of pairwise contact potentials. Proteins 49: 7–14. , , , , , and
- 1993. Verification of protein structures: Patterns of nonbonded atomic interactions. Protein Sci. 2: 1511–1519. and
- 2001. A study of quality measures for protein threading models. BMC Bioinformatics 2: 5. , , , , and
- 2002. Identifying native-like protein structures using physics-based potentials. J. Comput. Chem. 23: 147–160. and
- 1997. VERIFY3D: Assessment of protein models with three-dimensional profiles. Methods Enzymol. 277: 396–404. , , and
- 2001. Prediction of functionally important residues based solely on the computed energetics of protein structure. J. Mol. Biol. 312: 885–896.
- 1999. Chlorop, a neural network-based method for predicting chloroplast transit peptides and their cleavage sites. Protein Sci. 8: 978–984. , , and
- 2002. Design of an optimal Chebyshev-expanded discrimination function for globular proteins. Protein Sci. 11: 2010–2021. , , and
- 2002. Distinguishing native conformations of proteins from decoys with an effective free energy estimator based on the OPLS all-atom force field and the surface generalized Born solvent model. Proteins 48: 404–422. , , , and
- 2000. Hybrid fold recognition: Combining sequence derived properties with evolutionary information. In Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing (eds. R.B.Altman et al.), Vol. 5, pp. 116–127. World Scientific, Singapore.
- 1999. Critical assessment of fully automated protein structure prediction methods. Proteins Suppl 3: 209–217. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Knowledge-based protein secondary structure assignment. Proteins 23: 566–579. and
- 2000. Discrimination of near-native protein structures from misfolded models by empirical free energy functions. Proteins 41: 518–534. , , and
- 1997. Predicting protein stability changes upon mutation using database-derived potentials: Solvent accessibility determines the importance of local versus non-local interactions along the sequence. J. Mol. Biol. 272: 276–290. and
- 2001. Identification and ab initio simulations of early folding units in proteins. Proteins 42: 164–176. and
- 1992. Topology fingerprint approach to the inverse protein folding problem. J. Mol. Biol. 227: 227–238. , , and
- 1995. Are proteins ideal mixtures of amino acids? Analysis of energy parameter sets. Protein Sci. 4: 2107–2117. , , and
- 1993. Protein structure comparison by alignment of distance matrices. J. Mol. Biol. 233: 123–138. and
- 1995. Recognizing native folds by the arrangement of hydrophobic and polar residues. J. Mol. Biol. 252: 709–720. , , and
- 1996. Naccess—accessibility calculations. http://wolf.bms.umist.ac.uk/naccess/.
- 2002. In search for more accurate alignments in the twilight zone. Protein Sci. 11: 1702–1713. , , and
- 1999a. GenTHREADER: An efficient and reliable protein fold recognition method for genomic sequences. J. Mol. Biol. 287: 797–815.
- 1999b. Protein secondary structure prediction based on position-specific scoring matrices. J. Mol. Biol. 292: 195–202.
- 1992. A new approach to protein fold recognition. Nature 358: 86–89. , , and
- 1996. Development and testing of the OPLS all-atom force field on conformational energetics and properties of organic liquids. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 118: 11225–11236. , , and
- 1998. Hidden Markov models for detecting remote protein homologies. Bioinformatics 14: 846–856. , , and
- 2000. Enhanced genome annotation using structural profiles in the program 3d-pssm. J. Mol. Biol. 299: 523–544. , , and
- 1994. Factors influencing the ability of knowledge-based potentials to identify native sequence–structure matches. J. Mol. Biol. 235: 1598–1613. , , and
- 2002. Increasing the precision of comparative models with YASARA NOVA—a self-parameterizing force field. Proteins 47: 393–402. , , and
- 1999. Discrimination of the native from misfolded protein models with an energy function including implicit solvation. J. Mol. Biol. 288: 477–487. and
- 1971. The interpretation of protein structures: Estimation of static accessibility. J. Mol. Biol. 55: 379–400. and
- 1992. Accurate modeling of protein conformation by automatic segment matching. J. Mol. Biol. 226: 507–533.
- 1995. Potential energy function and parameters for simulations of the molecular dynamics of proteins and nucleic acids in solution. Comput. Phys. Commun. 91: 215–231. , , , and
- 2001. A distance-dependent atomic knowledge-based potential for improved protein structure selection. Proteins 44: 223–232. and
- 2001. Pcons: A neural-network-based consensus predictor that improves fold recognition. Protein Sci. 10: 2354–2362. , , , and
- 1992. Assessment of protein models with three-dimensional profiles. Nature 356: 283–285. , , and
- 1997. Novel knowledge-based mean force potential at atomic level. J. Mol. Biol. 267: 207–222. and
- 1998. Assessing protein structures with a non-local atomic interaction energy. J. Mol. Biol. 277: 1141–1152. and
- 2002. Statistical potentials for fold assessment. Protein Sci. 11: 430–448. , , and
- 1999. Universally conserved positions in protein folds: Reading evolutionary signals about stability, folding kinetics and function. J. Mol. Biol. 291: 177–198. and
- 1996. Residue–residue potentials with a favorable contact pair term and an unfavorable high packing density term, for simulation and threading. J. Mol. Biol. 256: 623–644. and
- 2001. Critical assessment of methods of protein structure prediction (CASP): Round IV. Proteins Suppl. 5: 2–7. , , , and
- 1995. Netlab: Netlab neural network software. http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/netlab/. and
- 1997. Identification of prokaryotic and eukaryotic signal peptides and prediction of their cleavage sites. Protein Eng. 10: 1–6. , , , and
- 1988. Criteria that discriminate between native proteins and incorrectly folded models. Proteins 4: 19–30. , , and
- 1995. The complexity and accuracy of discrete state models of protein structure. J. Mol. Biol. 249: 493–507. and
- 1996. Energy functions that discriminate X-ray and near native folds from well-constructed decoys. J. Mol. Biol. 258: 367–392. and
- 1997. Factors affecting the ability of energy functions to discriminate correct from incorrect folds. J. Mol. Biol. 266: 831–846. , , and
- 2000. Free energy determinants of tertiary structure and the evaluation of protein models. Protein Sci. 9: 2181–2191. and
- 1999. Knowledge-based interaction potentials for proteins. Proteins 36: 54–67. and
- 2000. Comparison of sequence profiles. Strategies for structural predictions using sequence information. Protein Sci. 9: 232–241. , , , and
- 1993. Comparative modelling by satisfaction of spatial restraints. J. Mol. Biol. 234: 779–815. and
- 2000. Decoys ‘R’ Us: A database of incorrect conformations to improve protein structure prediction. Protein Sci. 9: 1399–1401. and
- 1998. An all-atom distance-dependent conditional probability discriminatory function for protein structure prediction. J. Mol. Biol. 275: 895–916. and
- 2001. Fugue: Sequence–structure homology recognition using environment-specific substitution tables and structure-dependent gap penalties. J. Mol. Biol. 310: 243–257. , , and
- 2000. Maxsub: An automated measure to assess the quality of protein structure predictions. Bionformatics 16: 776–785. , , , and
- 1997. Assembly of protein tertiary structures from fragments with similar local sequences using simulated annealing and Bayesian scoring functions. J. Mol. Biol. 268: 209–225. , , , and
- 1999. Ab initio protein structure predictions of CASP III targets using ROSETTA. Proteins Suppl. 3: 171–176. , , , and
- 1990. Calculation of conformational ensembles from potentials of mean force. An approach to the knowledge-based prediction of local structures in globular proteins. J. Mol. Biol. 213: 859–883.
- 1993a. Boltzmann's principle, knowledge-based mean fields and protein folding. An approach to the computational determination of protein structures. Comp. Aid. Molec. Design 7: 473–501.
- 1993b. Recognition of errors in three-dimensional structures of proteins. Proteins 17: 355–362.
- 1992. Detection of native-like models for amino acid sequences of unknown three-dimensional structure in a data base of known protein conformations. Proteins 13: 258–271. and
- 2001. Assessment of the CASP4 fold recognition category. Proteins Suppl 5: 55–67. , , , , , , and
- 1997. Derivation and testing of pair potentials for protein folding. When is the quasichemical approximation correct? Protein Sci. 6: 676–688. , , , and
- 1990. Semianalytical treatment of solvation for molecular mechanics and dynamics. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 112: 6127–6129. , , , and
- 2000. Distance-dependent, pair potential for protein folding: Results from linear optimization. Proteins 41: 40–46. and
- 2000. On the design and analysis of protein folding potentials. Proteins 40: 71–85. , , , and
- 1997. Perspectives in protein-fold recognition. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 7: 200–205.
- 2000. Can a pairwise contact potential stabilize native protein folds against decoys obtained by threading? Proteins 38: 134–148. , , and
- 2001. Free energies of protein decoys provide insight into determinants of protein stability. Protein Sci. 10: 2498–2506. and
- 1984. A new force field for molecular mechanical simulation of nucleic acids and proteins. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 106: 765–784. , , , , , , , and
- 2002. The protein data bank: Unifying the archive. Nucleic Acids Res. 30: 245–248. , , , , , , , , , , et al.