Alignment of protein sequences by their profiles
Article first published online: 1 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2004 The Protein Society
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 1071–1087, April 2004
How to Cite
Marti-Renom, M. A., Madhusudhan, M.S. and Sali, A. (2004), Alignment of protein sequences by their profiles. Protein Science, 13: 1071–1087. doi: 10.1110/ps.03379804
- Issue published online: 1 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 19 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Received: 18 AUG 2003
- 1997. Do aligned sequences share the same fold? J. Mol. Biol. 273: 355–368. and
- 2001. Combining multiple structure and sequence alignments to improve sequence detection and alignment: Application to the SH2 domains of Janus kinases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 98: 14796–14801. , , and
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol. 215: 403–410. , , , , and
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: A new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Res. 25: 3389–3402. , , , , , , and
- 2000. The SWISS-PROT protein sequence database and its supplement TrEMBL in 2000. Nucleic Acids Res. 28: 45–48. and
- 2001. Protein structure prediction and structural genomics. Science 294: 93–96. and
- 1996. Protein sequence alignment and database scanning. In Protein structure prediction: A practical approach. (ed. M.J.E.Sternberg). IRL Press at Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1998. Protein sequence alignment techniques. Acta Crystallogr. D Biol. Crystallogr. 54: 1139–1146.
- 2002. The Protein Data Bank. Acta Crystallogr. D. Biol. Crystallogr. 58: 899–907. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Pairwise sequence alignment below the twilight zone. J. Mol. Biol. 307: 721–735. and
- 1987. Knowledge-based prediction of protein structures and the design of novel molecules. Nature 326: 347–352. , , , and
- 2001. Improving the performance of rosetta using multiple sequence alignment information and global measures of hydrophobic core formation. Proteins 43: 1–11. , , and
- 1991. A method to identify protein sequences that fold into a known three-dimensional structure. Science 253: 164–170. , , and
- 1998. Assessing sequence comparison methods with reliable structurally identified distant evolutionary relationships. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 95: 6073–6078. , , and
- 1998. On the alignment shift and its measures. UCSC-CRL-97-27 27. and
- 2000. Application of multiple sequence alignment profiles to improve protein secondary structure prediction. Proteins 40: 502–511. and
- 2000. 3D-1D threading methods for protein fold recognition. Pharmacogenomics 1: 445–455. , , and
- 1998. Profile hidden Markov models. Bioinformatics 14: 755–763.
- 2003a. SATCHMO: Sequence alignment and tree construction using hidden Markov models. Bioinformatics 19: 1404–1411. and
- 2003b. Simultaneous sequence alignment and tree construction using hidden Markov models. Pac. Symp. Biocomput.: 180–191. and
- 2003. Tools for comparative protein structure modeling and analysis. Nucleic Acids Res. 31: 3375–3380. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. EVA: Continuous automatic evaluation of protein structure prediction servers. Bioinformatics 17: 1242–1243. , , , , , , , , and
- 2003. 3D-SHOTGUN: A novel, cooperative, fold-recognition meta-predictor. Proteins 51: 434–441.
- 1992. Sequence-structure matching in globular proteins: Application to supersecondary and tertiary structure determination. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 89: 12098–12102. and
- 1999. Multiple sequence alignment: Algorithms and applications. Adv. Biophys. 36: 159–206.
- 1994. Profile analysis. Methods Mol. Biol. 25: 247–266.
- 1987. Profile analysis: Detection of distantly related proteins. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 84: 4355–4358. , , and
- 1990. Profile analysis. Methods Enzymol. 183: 146–159. , , and
- 1996. Using substitution probabilities to improve position-specific scoring matirices. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 12: 135–143. and
- 1992. Amino acid substitution matrices from protein blocks. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 89: 10915–10919. and
- 1994. Position-based sequence weights. J. Mol. Biol. 243: 574–578. and
- 1988. CLUSTAL: A package for performing multiple sequence alignment on a microcomputer. Gene 73: 237–244. and
- 1996. Hidden Markov models for sequence analysis: Extension and analysis of the basic method. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 12: 95–107. and
- 2000. Improving the quality of twilight-zone alignments. Protein Sci. 9: 1487–1496. , , and
- 2003. Comparative protein structure modeling by iterative alignment, model building and model assessment. Nucleic Acids Res. 31: 3982–3992. and
- 1993. Alignment and searching for common protein folds using a data bank of structural templates. J. Mol. Biol. 231: 735–752. , , and
- 1997. Successful ab initio prediction of the tertiary structure of NK-lysin using multiple sequences and recognized supersecondary structural motifs. Proteins 1: 185–191.
- 1992. A new approach to protein fold recognition. Nature 358: 86–89. , , and
- 1998. Hidden Markov models for detecting remote protein homologies. Bioinformatics 14: 846–856. , , and
- 2000. Enhanced genome annotation using structural profiles in the program 3D-PSSM. J. Mol. Biol. 299: 499–520. , , and
- 2003. EVA: Evaluation of protein structure prediction servers. Nucleic Acids Res. 31: 3311–3315. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Self-consistently optimized statistical mechanical energy functions for sequence structure alignment. Protein Sci. 5: 1043–1059. , , and
- 1997. Competitive assessment of protein fold recognition and alignment accuracy. Proteins 1: 92–104.
- 1991. Divergence measures based on the Shannon entropy. IEEE Trans. Info. Theor. 37: 145–151.
- 2002. A comparison of profile hidden Markov model procedures for remote homology detection. Nucleic Acids Res. 30: 4321–4328. and
- 2000. Comparative protein structure modeling of genes and genomes. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biomol. Struct. 29: 291–325. , , , , , and
- 2001. DBAli: A database of protein structure alignments. Bioinformatics 17: 746–747. , , and
- 2002. Reliability of assessment of protein structure prediction methods. Structure 10: 435–440. , , , , and
- 2001. Critical assessment of methods of protein structure prediction (CASP): Round IV. Proteins 45: 2–7. , , , and
- 1999. Benchmarking PSI-BLAST in genome annotation. J. Mol. Biol. 293: 1257–1271. , , and
- 1988. Optimal alignments in linear space. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 4: 11–17. and
- 1970. A general method applicable to the search for similarities in the amino acid sequence of two proteins. J. Mol. Biol. 48: 443–453. and
- 1999. The CATH Database provides insights into protein structure/function relationships. Nucleic Acids Res. 27: 275–279. , , , , , , and
- 1998. Combined multiple sequence reduced protein model approach to predict the tertiary structure of small proteins. Pac. Symp. Biocomput.: 377–388. , , and
- 2002. MAMMOTH (matching molecular models obtained from theory): An automated method for model comparison. Protein Sci. 11: 2606–2621. , , and
- 1992. Environment-specific amino acid substitution tables: Tertiary templates and prediction of protein folds. Protein Sci. 1: 216–226. , , , , and
- 2003. Finding weak similarities between proteins by sequence profile comparison. Nucleic Acids Res. 31: 683–689.
- 1997. Intermediate sequences increase the detection of homology between sequences. J. Mol. Biol. 273: 349–354. , , , and
- 1998. Sequence comparisons using multiple sequences detect three times as many remote homologues as pairwise methods. J. Mol. Biol. 284: 1201–1210. , , , , , , and
- 2002. ModBase, a database of annotated comparative protein structure models. Nucleic Acids Res. 30: 255–259. , , , , and
- 1996. Searching databases of conserved sequence regions by aligning protein multiple-alignments. Nucleic Acids Res. 24: 3836–3845.
- 1999. Twilight zone of protein sequence alignments. Protein Eng. 12: 85–94.
- 2000. Comparison of sequence profiles. Strategies for structural predictions using sequence information. Protein Sci. 9: 232–241. , , , and
- 2003. COMPASS: A tool for comparison of multiple protein alignments with assessment of statistical significance. J. Mol. Biol. 326: 317–336. and
- 1993. Comparative protein modelling by satisfaction of spatial restraints. J. Mol. Biol. 234: 779–815. and
- 2001. MODELLER, A protein structure modeling program, release 6v0, http://www.salilab.org/modeller/. , , , , , , , , and
- 1997. Advances in comparative protein-structure modelling. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 7: 206–214. and
- 1998. Large-scale protein structure modeling of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae genome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 95: 13597–13602. and
- 2000. Large-scale comparison of protein sequence alignment algorithms with structure alignments. Proteins 40: 6–22. , , and
- 1974. Theory and computation of evolutionary distances. Siam J. Appl. Math. 26: 787–793.
- 2001. FUGUE: Sequence-structure homology recognition using environment-specific substitution tables and structure-dependent gap penalties. J. Mol. Biol. 310: 243–257. , , and
- 1998. Protein structure alignment by incremental combinatorial extension (CE) of the optimal path. Protein Eng. 11: 739–747. and
- 1997. Current limitations to protein threading approaches. J. Comput. Biol. 4: 217–225. , , , , , and
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: Improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22: 4673–4680. , , and
- 1997. Perspectives in protein-fold recognition. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 7: 200–205.
- 2001. Comparison of performance in successive CASP experiments. Proteins 45: 163–170. , , , and
- 2002. Structure-dependent sequence alignment for remotely related proteins. Bioinformatics 18: 1658–1665.
- 2003. A segment alignment approach to protein comparison. Bioinformatics 19: 742. , , , and
- 2000. Towards a complete map of the protein space based on a unified sequence and structure analysis of all known proteins. ISMB 8: 395–406. and
- 2002. Within the twilight zone: A sensitive profile–profile comparison tool based on information theory. J. Mol. Biol. 315: 1257–1275. and
- 1999. ProtoMap: Automatic classification of protein sequences, a hierarchy of protein families, and local maps of the protein space. Proteins 37: 360–378. , , and
- 2000. ProtoMap: Automatic classification of protein sequences and hierarchy of protein families. Nucleic Acids Res. 28: 49–55. , , and
- 1992. A variable gap penalty function and feature weights for protein 3-D structure comparisons. Protein Eng. 5: 43–51. , , and