Biological functions of the disulfides in bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2004 The Protein Society
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 875–883, April 2004
How to Cite
Chen, W.-J., Lee, I.-S., Chen, C.-Y. and Liao, T.-H. (2004), Biological functions of the disulfides in bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease. Protein Science, 13: 875–883. doi: 10.1110/ps.03438204
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 29 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Received: 15 SEP 2003
- 1999. Structural properties of recombinant ovalbumin and its transformation into a thermostabilized form by alkaline treatment. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 63: 1392–1399. , , , and
- 1997. Thioredoxin, a gene found overexpressed in human cancer, inhibits apoptosis in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Res. 57: 5162–5167. , , , and
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein–dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72: 248–254.
- 1980. The effect of divalent cations on the mode of action of DNase I. The initial reaction products produced from covalently closed circular DNA. J. Biol. Chem. 255: 3726–3735. and
- 2002. The distinctive functions of the two structural calcium atoms in bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease. Protein Sci. 11: 659–668. , , and
- 2000. The effects of disulfide bonds on the denatured state of barnase. Protein Sci. 9: 2394–2404. , , , , and
- 1995. The roles of arginine 41 and tyrosine 76 in the coupling of DNA recognition to phosphodiester bond cleavage by DNase I: A study using site-directed mutagenesis. J. Mol. Biol. 251: 366–377. , , and
- 1999. Site-directed mutagenesis of phosphate-contacting amino acids of bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease I. Biochemistry 38: 3902–3909. , , , and
- 2001. Engineered disulfide linking the hinge regions within lactose repressor dimer increases operator affinity, decreases sequence selectivity, and alters allostery. Biochemistry 40: 15650–15659. and
- 1984. Amino acid analysis by reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography: Precolumn derivatization with phenlyisothiocyanate. Anal. Biochem. 136: 65–74. and
- 1989. Site-directed mutagenesis by overlap extension using the polymerase chain reaction. Gene 77: 51–59. , , , , and
- 1979a. Reduction of disulfides by thioredoxin. J. Biol. Chem. 254: 9113–9119.
- 1979b. Thioredoxin catalyzes the reduction of insulin disulfides by dithiothreitol and dihydrolipoamide. J. Biol. Chem. 254: 9627–9632.
- 1997. Purification and characterization of tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) deoxyribonuclease I—Primary structure and cDNA sequence. Eur. J. Biochem. 249: 786–791. , , , , and
- 2003. Chicken deoxyribonuclease: Purification, characterization, gene cloning and gene expression. J. Prot. Chem. 22: 41–49. , , , , and
- 1996. Site-directed mutagenesis of the catalytic residues of bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease I. J. Mol. Biol. 264: 1154–1163. , , and
- 1998. Induction of mRNAs for glutathione synthesis-related proteins in mouse liver by low doses of γ-rays. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1381: 312–318. , , , , , , , , and
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685.
- 1974. Bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease D. J. Biol. Chem. 249: 2354–2356.
- 1997. Deoxyribonuclease I and its clinical applications. J. Formos. Med. Assoc. 96: 481–487.
- 1979. Inactivation of bovine pancreatic DNase by 2-nitro-5-thiocyanobenzoic acid. I. A novel inhibitor for DNase I. J. Biol. Chem. 254: 9598–9601. and
- 1982. Reactivity of tyrosine in bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease with p-nitrobenzenesulfonyl fluoride. J. Biol. Chem. 257: 5637–5644. , , and
- 1991. Chemical modification of bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease with phenylglyoxal—The involvement of Arg-9 and Arg-41 in substrate binding. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1079: 335–342. , , and
- 1992. Bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease A. Isolation of cyanogen bromide peptides; complete covalent structure of the polypeptide chain. J. Biol. Chem. 267: 7957. , , , and
- 2000. A recombinant cytotoxic chimera based on mammalian deoxyribonuclease-I. Int. J. Cancer 86: 561–569. , , and
- 2002. A hyperthermophilic plant-type [2Fe-2S] ferredoxin from Aquifex aeolicus is stabilized by a disulfide bond. Biochemistry 41: 3096–3108. , , , , , , and
- 1981. Ultrasensitive stain for proteins in polyacrylamide gels shows regional variation in cerebrospinal fluid proteins. Science 211: 1437–1438. , , , and
- 1981. Pancreatic DNase. In The enzymes (eds. P.D. Boyer et al.), 3rd ed., Vol. 14, pp. 281–296. Academic Press, New York.
- 1997. Redox regulation of cellular activation. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 15: 351–369. , , and
- 2002. Increasing the thermal stability of cellulase C using rules learned from thermophilic proteins: A pilot study. Biophys. Chem. 96: 229–241. , , , , , and
- 1986. Crystallographic refinement and structure of DNase I at 2 Å resolution. J. Mol. Biol. 192: 605–632. and
- 1998. Improved potency of hyperactive and actin-resistant human DNase I variants for treatment of cystic fibrosis and systemic lupus erythematosus. J. Biol. Chem. 273: 18374–18381. , , , , , and
- 2002. Molecular dynamics simulations as a tool for improving protein stability. Protein Eng. 15: 185–192. , , , and
- 1969a. Properties of chromatographically purified bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease. J. Biol. Chem. 244: 917–923. , , , and
- 1969b. Effect of divalent cations on the reduction and reformation of the disulfide bonds of deoxyribonuclease. J. Biol. Chem. 244: 929–932. , , and
- 1980. Reactivity of the tryptophan residues in bovine pancreatic deoxyribonuclease with N-bromosuccinimide. J. Biol. Chem. 255: 8633–8637. , , and
- 1990. Recombinant human DNase I reduces the viscosity of cystic fibrosis sputum. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 87: 9188–9192. , , , , and
- 2001. Characterization of human DNase I family endonucleases and activation of DNase γ during apoptosis. Biochemistry 40: 143–152. and
- 2002. Locking the hydrophobic loop 262–274 to G-actin surface by a disulfide bridge prevents filament formation. Biochemistry 41: 10787–10793. , , , , and
- 1999. Engineering out motion: A surface disulfide bond alters the mobility of tryptophan 22 in cytochrome b5 as probed by time-resolved fluorescence and 1H NMR experiments. Biochemistry 38: 5065–5075. , , , ,
- 2001. Amphibian DNases I are characterized by a C-terminal end with a unique, cysteine-rich stretch and by the insertion of a serine residue into the Ca2+-binding site. Biochem. J. 357: 473–480. , , , , , , , and
- 1997. Effects of nonconservative changes to tyrosine 76, a key DNA binding residue of DNase I, on phosphodiester bond cleavage and DNA hydrolysis selectivity. Protein Eng. 10: 279–283. , , and
- 1992. X-ray structure of the DNase I-d(GGTATACC)2 complex at 2.3 Å resolution. J. Mol. Biol. 226: 1237–1256. , , and
- 2001. Disulfide bond effects on protein stability: Designed variants of Cucurbita maxima trypsin inhibitor-V. Protein Sci. 10: 149–160. , , , , , and