Present address: Laboratory of Chemical Physics, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, MD 20892-0520, USA.
Orientational potentials extracted from protein structures improve native fold recognition
Article first published online: 1 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2004 The Protein Society
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 862–874, April 2004
How to Cite
Buchete, N.-V., Straub, J. E. and Thirumalai, D. (2004), Orientational potentials extracted from protein structures improve native fold recognition. Protein Science, 13: 862–874. doi: 10.1110/ps.03488704
- Issue published online: 1 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 21 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Received: 21 OCT 2003
- 1997. Spherepack 2.0: A model development facility. NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN-436-STR. and
- 1999. Spherepack 3.0: A model development facility. Monthly Weather Rev. 127: 1872–1878.
- 1995. Mathematical methods for physicists, 4th ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. and
- 2002a. Residue coordination in proteins conforms to the closest packing of spheres. Polymer 43: 451–459. , , and
- 2002b. Residue packing in proteins: Uniform distribution on a coarse-grained scale. J. Chem. Phys. 116: 2269–2276. , , and
- 1996. Coordination geometry of nonbonded residues in globular proteins. Fold. Des. 1: 357–370. and
- 1997. Inter-residue potentials in globular proteins and the dominance of highly specific hydrophilic interactions at close separation. J. Mol. Biol. 266: 195–214. and
- 1997. Short-range conformational energies, secondary structure propensities, and recognition of correct sequence-structure matches. Proteins 29: 292–308. , , and
- 2000. The Protein Data Bank. Nucleic Acids Res. 28: 235–242. , , , , , , , and
- 2003. Anisotropic coarse-grained statistical potentials improve the ability to identify native-like protein structures. J. Chem. Phys. 118: 7658–7671. , , and
- 2001. Determination of optimal Chebyshev-expanded hydrophobic discrimination function for globular proteins. IBM J. Res. Dev. 45: 525–532. , , and
- 1995. Are proteins ideal mixtures of amino-acids? Analysis of energy parameter sets. Protein Sci. 4: 2107–2117. , , and
- 1990. Identification of native protein folds amongst a large number of incorrect models: The calculation of low energy conformations from potentials of mean force. J. Mol. Biol. 216: 167–180. , , , , , , , and
- 1996. VMD—Visual Molecular Dynamics. J. Mol. Graphics 14: 33–38. , , and
- 2003. A novel approach to decoy set generation: Designing a physical energy function having local minima with native structure characteristics. J. Mol. Biol. 329: 159–174. and
- 1999. Energy-based de novo protein folding by conformational space annealing and an off-lattice united-residue force field: Application to the 10–55 fragment of staphylococcal protein A and to Apo Calbindin D9K. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 96: 2025–2030. , , and
- 1992. Accurate modeling of protein conformation by automatic segment matching. J. Mol. Biol. 226: 507–533.
- 1997a. A united-residue force field for off-lattice protein-structure simulations. I. Functional forms and parameters of long-range side-chain interaction potentials from protein crystal data. J. Comput. Chem. 18: 849–873. , , , , , and
- 1997b. A united-residue force field for off-lattice protein-structure simulations. II. Parameterization of short-range interactions and determination of weights of energy terms by Z-score optimization. J. Comput. Chem. 18: 874–887. , , , , , and
- 1998. United-residue force field for off-lattice protein-structure simulations: III. Origin of backbone hydrogen-bonding cooperativity in united-residue potentials. J. Comput. Chem. 19: 259–276. , , , , , , , , and
- 2002. Maximum feasibility guideline in the design and analysis of protein folding potentials. J. Comput. Chem. 23: 111–118. , , and
- 1997. Raster3D: Photorealistic molecular graphics. Method. Enzymol. 277: 505–524. and
- 1985. Estimation of effective interresidue contact energies from protein crystal structures: Quasi-chemical approximation. Macromolecules 18: 534–552. and
- 1999a. Evaluation of short-range interactions as secondary structure energies for protein fold and sequence recognition. Proteins 36: 347–356. and
- 1999b. Self-consistent estimation of inter-residue protein contact energies based on an equilibrium mixture approximation of residues. Proteins 34: 49–68. and
- 1997. CATH—A hierarchic classification of protein domain structures. Structure 5:1093–1108. , , , , and
- 1996. Energy functions that discriminate X-ray and near native folds from well-constructed decoys. J. Mol. Biol. 258: 367–392. and
- 1997. Factors affecting the ability of energy functions to discriminate correct from incorrect folds. J. Mol. Biol. 266: 831–846. , , and
- 2000. Assigning genomic sequences to CATH. Nucleic Acids Res. 28: 277–282. , , , , , , , and
- 2003. The CATH database: An extended protein family resource for structural and functional genomics. Nucleic Acids Res. 31: 452–455. , , , , , , , , and
- 2000. Decoys ‘R’ Us: A database of incorrect conformations to improve protein structure prediction. Protein Sci. 9: 1399–1401. and
- 1997. Assembly of protein tertiary structures from fragments with similar local sequences using simulated annealing and Bayesian scoring functions. J. Mol. Biol. 268: 209–225. , , , and
- 1990. Calculation of conformational ensembles from potentials of mean force. J. Mol. Biol. 213: 859–883.
- 1995. Knowledge-based potentials for proteins. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 5: 229–235.
- 1997. Derivation and testing of pair potentials for protein folding. When is the quasichemical approximation correct? Protein Sci. 6: 1–13. , , , and
- 2000. Derivation of protein-specific pair potentials based on weak sequence fragment similarity. Proteins 38: 3–16. , , and
- 1994. Global spherical harmonic analysis by least-squares and numerical quadrature methods in historical perspective. Geophys. J. Int. 118: 707–716.
- 1996. Global spherical harmonic computation by two-dimensional Fourier methods. J. Geodesy 70: 224–232. and
- 1979. On the spectral approximation of discrete scalar and vector functions on the sphere. SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 16: 934–949.
- 1976. Medium- and long-range interaction parameters between amino acids for predicting three-dimensional structures of proteins. Macromolecules 9: 945–950. and
- 1996. Statistical potentials extracted from protein structures: How accurate are they? J. Mol. Biol. 257: 457–469. and
- 2000. Distance-dependent, pair potential for protein folding: Results from linear optimization. Proteins 41: 40–46. and
- 2000. On the design and analysis of protein folding potentials. Proteins 40: 71–85. , , , and