Insulin amyloid fibrillation at above 100°C: New insights into protein folding under extreme temperatures
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2004 The Protein Society
Volume 13, Issue 9, pages 2429–2436, September 2004
How to Cite
Arora, A., Ha, C. and Park, C. B. (2004), Insulin amyloid fibrillation at above 100°C: New insights into protein folding under extreme temperatures. Protein Science, 13: 2429–2436. doi: 10.1110/ps.04823504
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 4 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 19 APR 2004
- 2003. Partially folded intermediates in insulin fibrillation. Biochemistry 42: 11404–11416. , , , , and
- 1988. The structure of 2Zn pig insulin crystals at 1.5Å resolution. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. 319: 369–456. , , , , , and
- 2000. Formation of insulin amyloid fibrils followed by FTIR simultaneously with CD and electron microscopy. Protein Sci. 9: 1960–1967. , , , , and
- 1997a. Toward understanding insulin fibrillation. J. Pharm. Sci. 86: 517–525. , , , , and
- 1997b. A model of insulin fibrils derived from the X-ray crystal structure of a monomeric insulin (despentapeptide insulin). Proteins 27: 507–516. , , , , and
- 1981. The logistic curve for the fitting of sigmoidal data. Physiol. Chem. Phys. 13: 221–230. , , and
- 1989. Low-temperature unfolding of a mutant of phage T4 lysozyme. 2. Kinetic investigations. Biochemistry 26: 691–699. , , and
- 2003. Aggregation of bovine insulin probed by DSC/PPC calorimetry and FTIR spectroscopy. Biochemistry 42: 11347–11355. , , , and
- 2001. Molecular dynamics simulations of wild-type and point mutation human prion protein at normal and elevated temperature. J. Mol. Graph. Modell. 20: 145–154. , , and
- 2002. Protein stability. In Structure and mechanism in protein science, pp. 508–538. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York.
- 1991. Production of recombinant human transthyretin with biological activities toward the understanding of the molecular basis of familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy (FAP). Biochemistry 30: 2415–2421. , , , , , , , and
- 1999. Heat-induced denaturation and aggregation of β-lactoglobulin: Kinetics of formation of hydrophobic and disulphide-linked aggregates. Int. J. Food Sci. Tech. 34: 467–476. and
- 1997. Models of amyloid seeding in Alzheimer's disease and scrapie: Mechanistic truths and physiological consequences of the time-dependent solubility of amyloid proteins. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 66: 385–407. and
- 2002. Identifying protein folding cores from the evolution of flexible regions during unfolding. J. Mol. Graph. Modell. 21: 195–207. , , , and
- 2000. Towards the ecology of hyperthermophiles: biotopes, new isolation strategies and novel metabolic properties. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 24: 615–623. , , and
- 1996. Thermal denaturation of an all β-sheet protein—Identification of a stable partially structured intermediate at high temperature. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 18: 303–306. , , , , , and
- 2002. The protofilament structure of insulin amyloid fibrils. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 99: 9196–9201. , , , , , and
- 2000. Review: Amyloidogenesis—Unquestioned answers and unanswered questions. J. Struct. Biol. 130: 99–108.
- 1998. Temperature dependence of amyloid β-protein fibrillation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 95: 12277–12282. , , , and
- 1996. The acid-mediated denaturation pathway of transthyretin yields a conformational intermediate that can self-assemble into amyloid. Biochemistry 35: 6470–6482. , , and
- 1993. Thioflavin T interaction with synthetic Alzheimer's disease β-amyloid peptides: Detection of amyloid aggregation in solution. Protein Sci. 2: 404–410.
- 1995. Energetics of protein structure. Adv. Protein Chem. 47: 307–425. and
- 2000. Review: Modulating factors in amyloid-β fibril formation. J. Struct. Biol. 130: 259–270. , , , and
- 2003. Temperature-induced dissociation of protein aggregates: accessing the denatured state. Biochemistry 42: 14234–14241. and
- 1994. Equilibrium intermediates in the denaturation of human insulin and two monomeric insulin analogs. Biochemistry 33: 1116–1124. and
- 2002. Peptide aggregation in neurodegenerative disease. Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 4: 155–174.
- 1999. Kinetic analysis of amyloid fibril formation. Methods Enzymol. 309: 305–318. and
- 2000. Characterization of the oligomeric states of insulin in self-assembly and amyloid fibril formation by mass spectrometry. Biophys. J. 79: 1053–1065. , , , , , and
- 2001. Effects of environmental factors on the kinetics of insulin fibril formation: Elucidation of the molecular mechanism. Biochemistry 40: 6036–6046. , , , , , , , and
- 1995. Negative activation enthalpies in the kinetics of protein folding. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 92: 8926–8929. , , and
- 1987. An introduction to prion biology and diseases. In Prion biology and diseases (ed. S.B.Prusiner), pp. 1–66. Cold Spring Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY.
- 1992. The molten globule state. In Protein folding (ed. T.E.Creighton), pp. 243–300. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York.
- 2003. A mechanism of macroscopic (amorphous) aggregation of the tobacco mosaic virus coat protein. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 35: 1452–1460. , , , , , and
- 1998. Novel evolutionary histories and adaptive features of proteins from hyperthermophiles. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 9: 288–291. and
- 2000. Amyloid fibrillogenesis: Themes and variations. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 10: 60–68. and
- 1994. Creutzfeld-Jakob disease: Recommendations for infection control. Am. J. Infect. Control 22: 312–318.
- 1999. Extremophiles and their adaptation to hot environments. FEBS Lett. 452: 22–25.
- 1996. The nanometer-scale structure of amyloid-β visualized by atomic force microscopy. J. Protein Chem. 15: 193–203. , , , , , , , and
- 1998. The effects of temperature on the kinetics and stability of mesophilic and thermophilic 3-phosphoglycerate kinases. Biochem. J. 330: 1087–1095. and
- 2001. Pesticides directly accelerate the rate of α-synuclein fibril formation: A possible factor in Parkinson's disease. FEBS Lett. 500: 105–108. , , and
- 1996. Thermozymes: Identifying molecular determinants of protein structural and functional stability. Trends Biotechnol. 14: 183–190. and
- 1996. Thermozymes. Biotechnol. Annu. Rev. 2: 1–83. , , and
- 2002. Insulin at pH 2: Structural analysis of the conditions promoting insulin fiber formation. J. Mol. Biol. 318: 479–490. , , , , , , and