Molecular modeling of family GH16 glycoside hydrolases: Potential roles for xyloglucan transglucosylases/hydrolases in cell wall modification in the poaceae
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2004 The Protein Society
Volume 13, Issue 12, pages 3200–3213, December 2004
How to Cite
Strohmeier, M., Hrmova, M., Fischer, M., Harvey, A. J., Fincher, G. B. and Pleiss, J. (2004), Molecular modeling of family GH16 glycoside hydrolases: Potential roles for xyloglucan transglucosylases/hydrolases in cell wall modification in the poaceae. Protein Science, 13: 3200–3213. doi: 10.1110/ps.04828404
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 30 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 21 APR 2004
- 1975. A new substrate for investigating the specificity of β-d-glucan hydrolases. FEBS Lett. 52: 202–207. and
- 1996. Molecular cloning of the first metazoan β-1,3 glucanase from eggs of the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus purpuratus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 93: 6808–6813. and
- 1998. The κ-carrageenase of the marine bacterium Cytophaga drobachiensis: Structural and phylogenetic relationships within family-16 glycoside hydrolases. Mol. Biol. Evol. 15: 528–537. , , , , and
- 1999. GenBank. Nucleic Acids Res. 27: 12–17. , , , , , , and
- 2000. The Protein Data Bank. Nucleic Acids Res. 28: 235–242. , , , , , , , and
- 1993. Structural models of primary cell walls in flowering plants: Consistency of molecular structure with the physical properties of the walls during growth. Plant J. 3: 1–30. and
- 2001. Cell wall architecture of the elongating maize coleoptile. Plant Physiol. 127: 551–565. , , , , , , , and
- 1998. The ProDom database of protein domain families. Nucleic Acids Res. 26: 323–326. , , and
- 1999. Enzymes and other agents that enhance cell wall extensibility. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 50: 391–417.
- 1999. Carbohydrate-active enzymes: An integrated database approach. In Recent advances in carbohydrate bioengineering (eds. H.J. Gilbert et al.), pp. 3–12. The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK. and
- 1984. A comprehensive set of sequence analysis programs for the VAX. Nucleic Acids Res. 12: 387–395. , , and
- 1991. Accurate bond and angle parameters for X-ray protein structure refinement. Acta Crystallogr. A 47: 392–400. and
- 1993. Action of a pure xyloglucan endotransglycosylase (formerly called xyloglucan-specific endo-(1–4)-β-d-glucanase) from the cotyledons of germinated nasturtium seeds. Plant J. 3:691–700. , , and
- 1992. Cleavage of xyloglucan by nasturtium seed xyloglucanase and transglycosylation to xyloglucan subunit oligosaccharides. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 298: 365–370. , , , , and
- 1993. Cell wall metabolism in barley. In Barley: Genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology and biotechnology (ed. P.R.Shewry), pp. 413–437. CAB International Wallingford, Oxon, UK.
- 2003. The Lipase Engineering Database: A navigation and analysis tool for protein families. Nucleic Acids Res. 31: 319–321. and
- 1989. Cellulases, hemicellulases and auxin-stimulated growth: A possible relationship. Physiol. Plant 72: 532–536.
- 1992. Xyloglucan endotransglycosylase, a new wall-loosening enzyme activity from plants. Biochem. J. 282: 821–828. , , , , , and
- 2002. Collaborating on the rice genome. Science 296: 45–46.
- 1996. Graphical interface for ProDom domain families. Trends Biochem. Sci. 21: 493. , , and
- 1997. SWISS-MODEL and the Swiss-Pdb Viewer: An environment for comparative protein modeling. Electrophoresis 18: 2714–2723. and
- 1995. Crystal and molecular structure at 0.16-nm resolution of the hybrid Bacillus endo-1,3–1,4-β-d-glucan 4-glucanohydrolase H(A16-M). Eur. J. Biochem. 232: 849–858. , , and
- 2000. Comparative modeling of the three-dimensional structures of family 3 glycoside hydrolases. Proteins 41: 257–269. , , , , and
- 1989. Xyloglucans in the primary cell wall. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 40: 139–168.
- 1996. Using CLUSTAL for multiple sequence alignments. Methods Enzymol. 266: 383–402. , , and
- 1995. Molecular evolution of plant β-d-glucan endohydrolases. Plant J. 7: 367–379. and
- 2001. Structure-function relationships of β-d-glucan endo- and exohydrolases from higher plants. Plant Mol. Biol. 47: 73–91. and
- 2002. Expression of a xyloglucan endotransglycosylase gene is closely related to grape berry softening. Plant Sci. 162: 621–628. and
- 1998. Multiple sequence alignment with Clustal X. Trends Biochem. Sci. 23: 403–405. , , , , and
- 2004. Crystal structures of a poplar xyloglucan endotransglycosylase reveal details of transglycosylation acceptor binding. Plant Cell 16: 874–886. , , , , , , , and
- 1991. Improved methods for building protein models in electrone density maps and the location of errors in these models. Acta Crystallogr. A 47: 100–119. , , , and
- 1993. Molecular and active-site structure of a Bacillus 1,3–1,4-β-glucanase. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 90: 5287–5291. , , , and
- 2003. Pre-formed xyloglucans and xylans increase in molecular weight in three distinct compartments of a maize cell-suspension culture. Planta 217: 327–339. and
- 1988. Structure of the cell walls of marine algae and ecophysical functions of the matrix polysaccharides. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Annu. Rev. 26: 259–315. and
- 2002. Avirulence determinants and elicitors. In The Mycota: Agricultural applications, Vol. XI (ed. F.Kempken), pp. 289–310. Springer Verlag, Berlin.
- 1996. Three-dimensional structure of endo-1,4-β-xylanase I from Aspergillus niger: Molecular basis for its low pH optimum. J. Mol. Biol. 263: 70–78. and
- 1993. PROCHECK: A program to check the stereochemical quality of protein structures. J. Appl. Cryst. 26: 283–291. , , , and
- 1990. Hydrophobic cluster analysis: Procedures to derive structural and functional information from 2-D-representation of protein sequences. Biochimie 72: 555–574. , , , , , and
- 1993. Characterization, cloning and sequencing of a thermostable endo-(1,3–1,4)-β-glucanase-encoding gene from an alkalophilic Bacillus brevis. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 38: 507–513. , , and
- 1996. Morphogenesis and mechanisms of penetration by plant pathogenic fungi. Annu. Rev. Phytopatol. 34: 367–386. , , and
- 2001. The β-carrageenase of P. carrageenovora features a tunnel-shaped active site: A novel insight in the evolution of Clan-B glycoside hydrolases. Structure 9: 513–525. , , , , , , and
- 1997. The role of endoxyloglucan transferase in the organization of plant cell wall. Int. Rev. Cytol. 173: 157–206.
- 1993. Molecular cloning and cDNA sequencing of endoxyloglucan transferase, a novel class of glycosyltransferase that mediates molecular grafting between matrix polysaccharides in plant cell walls. J. Biol. Chem. 268: 25364–25368. , , , , , , and
- 1996. TREEVIEW: An application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Comp. Appl. Biosci. 12: 357–358.
- 1960. Selective enzymolysis of poly-β-d-glucans, and the structure of the polymers. Can. J. Chem 38: 2094–2104. , , and
- 1998. Cell walls: Structures and signals. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 1: 504–510.
- 1963. Stereochemistry of polypeptide chain configurations. J. Mol. Biol. 7: 95–99. , , and
- 2002. The XTH family of enzymes involved in xyloglucan endotransglucosylation and endohydrolysis: Current perspectives and a new unifying nomenclature. Plant Cell Physiol. 43: 1421–1435. , , , and
- 1993. Comparative protein modelling by satisfaction of spatial restraints. J. Mol. Biol. 234: 779–815. and
- 1978. Auxin-induced changes in barley coleoptile cell wall composition. Plant Cell Physiol. 19: 1217–1223. and
- 1992. Structure of the Clostridium thermocellum gene licB and the encoded β-1,3–1,4-glucanase: A catalytic region homologous to Bacillus lichenase joined to the reiterated domain of clostridial cellulases. Eur. J. Biochem. 204: 13–19. , , and
- 2002. TREE-PUZZLE: Maximum likelihood phylogenetic analysis using quartets and parallel computing. Bioinformatics 18: 502–504. , , , and
- 1997. Expression of XET-related genes and its relation to elongation in leaves of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Plant Cell Env. 20: 1439–1450. , , , , and
- 1978. Structure of hemicellulose isolated from rice endosperm cell wall: Mode of linkages and sequences in xyloglucan, β-d-glucan and arabinoxylan. Agric. Biol. Chem. 42: 2267–2274. and
- 1983. The structure of arabinoxylan and arabinoglucuronoxylan isolated from rice endosperm cell walls. Agric. Biol. Chem. 47: 2223–2230. , , and
- 1991. Endotransglycosylation of xyloglucans in plant cell suspension cultures. Biochem. J. 279: 529–535. and
- 1997. The regulation of leaf elongation and xyloglucan endotransglycosylase by gibberellin in Himalaya barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). J. Exp. Bot. 47: 1395–1404. , , , and
- 1981. Identification of common molecular subsequences. J. Mol. Biol. 147: 195–197. and
- 2002. Specific characterization of substrate and inhibitor binding sites of a glycosyl hydrolase family 11 xylanase from Aspergillus niger. J. Biol. Chem. 277: 44035–44043. , , , , , , and
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: Improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22: 4673–4680. , , and
- 1997. The CLUSTAL_X windows interface: Flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res. 25: 4876–4882. , , , , and
- 1994. Root growth maintenance at low water potentials (increased activity of xyloglucan endotransglycosylase and its possible regulation by abscisic acid). Plant Physiol. 106: 607–615. , , , , and
- 1990. Structure of the gene encoding β-1,3-glucanase A1 of Bacillus circulans WL-ss. Gene 86: 113–117. , , , , , and