Investigation of protein refolding using a fractional factorial screen: A study of reagent effects and interactions
Article first published online: 1 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2005 The Protein Society
Volume 14, Issue 7, pages 1818–1826, July 2005
How to Cite
Willis, M. S., Hogan, J. K., Prabhakar, P., Liu, X., Tsai, K., Wei, Y. and Fox, T. (2005), Investigation of protein refolding using a fractional factorial screen: A study of reagent effects and interactions. Protein Science, 14: 1818–1826. doi: 10.1110/ps.051433205
- Issue published online: 1 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 25 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 25 FEB 2005
- 2000. 2-(Oxalylamino)- benzoic acid is a general, competitive inhibitor of protein-tyrosine phosphatases. J. Biol. Chem. 275: 7101–7108. , , , , , , , and
- 2000. Protection of bovine serum albumin from aggregation by Tween 80. J. Pharm. Sci. 89: 646–651. and
- 1999. A new protein folding screen: Application to the ligand binding domains of a glutamate and kainate receptor and to lysozyme and carbonic anhydrase. Protein Sci. 8: 1475–1483. , , and
- 2004. Development of a high-throughput protein expression strategy. BioProcess. J. 3: 41–47. , , , , and
- 2002. High-throughput protein expression for the post-genomic era. Drug Discov. Today 7: 759–765.
- 2004. High-throughput screening for soluble recombinant expressed kinases in Escherichia coli and insect cells. Protein Expr. Purif. 36: 40–47. , , , and
- 1997. Overexpression of a glutamate receptor (GluR2) ligand binding domain in Escherichia coli: Application of a novel protein folding screen. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 94: 13431–13436. and
- 2000. Preparation of functional recombinant protein from E. coli using a nondetergent sulfobetaine. Biotechniques 29: 1166–1167. and
- 2001. Protein refolding for industrial processes. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 12: 202–207.
- 1981. Rank transformations as a bridge between parametric and nonparametric statistics. Am. Stat. 35: 124–129. and
- 1989. cDNA isolated from a human T-cell library encodes a member of the protein–tyrosine–phosphatase family. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 86: 5257–5261. , , , , , and
- 1998. Refolding of recombinant proteins. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 9: 157–163.
- 1955. A multiple comparison procedure for comparing several treatments with a control. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 50: 1096–1121.
- 1991. The cdc25 protein contains an intrinsic phosphatase activity. Cell 67: 189–196. and
- 2002. Development of a novel method to populate native disulfide-bonded intermediates for structural characterization of proteins: Implications for the mechanism of oxidative folding of RNase A. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 124: 4995–4999. , , , and
- 2003. Physical-chemical features of non-detergent sulfobetaines active as protein-folding helpers. Biophys. Chem. 100: 469–479. , , , and
- 1998. Crystal structure of the catalytic domain of the human cell cycle control phosphatase, Cdc25A. Cell 93: 617–625. , , , , , , , , and
- 1996. Inhibition of IMPDH by mycophenolic acid: Dissection of forward and reverse pathways using capillary electrophoresis. Biochemistry 35: 6990–6997. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. A single amino acid substitution makes ERK2 susceptible to pyridinyl imidazole inhibitors of p38 MAP kinase. Protein Sci. 7: 2249–2255. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. A comparison between the sulfhydryl reductants tris (2-carboxyethyl)- phosphine and dithiothreitol for use in protein biochemistry. Anal. Biochem. 273: 73–80. , , , , and
- 1989. Calculation of protein extinction coefficients from amino acid sequence data. Anal. Biochem. 182: 319–326. and
- 1991. A kinetic study of the competition between renaturation and aggregation during the refolding of denatured-reduced egg white lysozyme. Biochemistry 30: 2790–2797. , , and
- 1996. Non-detergent sulphobetaines: A new class of molecules that facilitate in vitro protein renaturation. Fold. Des. 1: 21–27. , , , and
- 2002. Folding disulfide-containing proteins faster with an aromatic thiol. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 124: 3885–3892. , , , and
- 2000. Specificity determinants of substrate recognition by the protein kinase DYRK1A. J. Biol. Chem. 275: 2431–2438. , , , , , and
- 1995. A sparse matrix screen to establish initial conditions for protein renaturation. Anal. Biochem. 230: 8–15. , , , and
- 2000. Structure of the protease domain of memapsin 2 (β-secretase) complexed with inhibitor. Science 290: 150–153. , , , , , , , and
- International Human Genome Sequencing Consortium. 2004. Finishing the euchromatic sequence of the human genome. Nature 431: 931–945.
- 1998. Hepatitis C virus NS3 RNA helicase domain with a bound oligonucleotide: The crystal structure provides insights into the mode of unwinding. Structure 6: 89–100. , , , , , , , and
- 1998. Advances in refolding of proteins produced in E. coli. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 9: 497–501. , , and
- 1990. cDNA cloning and characterization of eck, an epithelial cell receptor protein-tyrosine kinase in the eph/elk family of protein kinases. Mol. Cell. Biol. 10: 6316–6324. and
- 2000. Cycloamylose as an efficient artificial chaperone for protein refolding. FEBS Lett. 486: 131–135. , , , , , and
- 2003. Refolding out of guanidine hydrochloride is an effective approach for high-throughput structural studies of small proteins. Protein Sci. 12: 2073–2080. , , , , and
- 1999. Crystal structure of the kinase domain of human vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2: A key enzyme in angiogenesis. Struct. Fold. Des. 7: 319–330. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Preparative protein refolding. Trends Biotechnol. 20: 437–443.
- 1991. Design and analysis of experiments, 3rd ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- 1979. Mapping the extended substrate binding site of cathepsin G and human leukocyte elastase. Studies with peptide substrates related to the α 1-protease inhibitor reactive site. J. Biol. Chem. 254: 4027–4032. , , , and
- 1998. PRAK, a novel protein kinase regulated by the p38 MAP kinase. EMBO J. 17: 3372–3384. , , , , , , , , and
- 1998. Effect of NADH-X on cytosolic glycerol-3- phosphate dehydrogenase. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 360: 195–205. , , , , , , and
- 1996. In vitro folding of inclusion body proteins. FASEB J. 10: 49–56. and
- 2004. An automated in vitro protein folding screen applied to a human dynactin subunit. Protein Sci. 13: 370–380. , , , and
- 1998. His…Asp catalytic dyad of ribonuclease A: Structure and function of the wild-type, D121N, and D121A enzymes. Biochemistry 37: 8886–8898. , , and
- 2002. Tapping DNA for structures produces a trickle. Science 298: 948–950.
- 1989. Isolation of ret protooncogene cDNA with an amino-terminal signal sequence. Oncogene 4: 805–806. , , and
- 1995. Cloning and functional expression of a metalloendopeptidase from human brain with the ability to cleave a β-APP substrate peptide. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 213: 66–73. , , and
- 2002. Identification of in vitro folding conditions for procathepsin S and cathepsin S using fractional factorial screens. Protein Expr. Purif. 24: 242–254. , , , , , , and
- 2004. Refolding strategies from inclusion bodies in a structural genomics project. J. Struct. Funct. Genomics 5: 195–204. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. High-throughput automated refolding screening of inclusion bodies. Protein Sci. 13: 2782–2792. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2000. Refolding a glutamine synthetase truncation mutant in vitro: Identifying superior conditions using a combination of chaperonins and osmolytes. J. Pharm. Sci. 89: 1036–1045. , , and
- 1995a. Halophilic protein stabilization by the mild solubilizing agents nondetergent sulfobetaines. Anal. Biochem. 230: 290–294. , , , and
- 1995b. Enhancing protein solubilization with non-detergent sulfobetaines. Electrophoresis 16: 295–297. , , and
- 2000. The structures of caspases-1, -3, -7 and -8 reveal the basis for substrate and inhibitor selectivity. Chem. Biol. 7: 423–432. , , , , , , , , and
- 1994. Structure and mechanism of interleukin-1 β converting enzyme. Nature 370: 270–275. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Native disulfide bond formation in proteins. Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol. 4: 533–539. and
- 1999. A smallmolecule catalyst of protein folding in vitro and in vivo. Chem. Biol. 6: 871–879. , , and
- 2002. An NMR approach to structural proteomics. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 99: 1825–1830. , , , , , , , , , , et al.