Acid destabilization of the solution conformation of Bcl-XL does not drive its pH-dependent insertion into membranes
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2006 The Protein Society
Volume 15, Issue 2, pages 248–257, February 2006
How to Cite
Thuduppathy, G. R. and Hill, R. B. (2006), Acid destabilization of the solution conformation of Bcl-XL does not drive its pH-dependent insertion into membranes. Protein Science, 15: 248–257. doi: 10.1110/ps.051807706
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 22 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 2005
- 1998. Deciphering the molecular code of hemoglobin allostery. Adv. Protein Chem. 51: 185–253.
- 1998. The Bcl-2 protein family: Arbiters of cell survival. Science 281: 1322–1326. and
- 2002. Structure and interactions of PAS kinase N-terminal PAS domain: Model for intramolecular kinase regulation. Structure (Camb.) 10: 1349–1361. , , , and
- 2000. Bax oligomerization is required for channel-forming activity in liposomes and to trigger cytochrome c release from mitochondria. Biochem. J. 345 (Pt. 2): 271–278. , , , , and
- 2001. Bax is present as a high molecular weight oligomer/complex in the mitochondrial membrane of apoptotic cells. J. Biol. Chem. 276: 11615–11623. , , , and
- 2001. Pro-apoptotic cleavage products of Bcl-xL form cytochrome c-conducting pores in pure lipid membranes. J. Biol. Chem. 276: 31083–31091. , , , , , , , , and
- 1998. Acid induced equilibrium unfolding of annexin V wild type shows two intermediate states. FEBS Lett. 423: 265–269. , , , and
- 1985. Effect of pH on the conformation of diphtheria toxin and its implications for membrane penetration. Biochemistry 24: 5458–5464. , , and
- 1996. Molten globule-like state of cytochrome c under conditions simulating those near the membrane surface. Biochemistry 35: 6058–6063. , , , , , and
- 1998. BCL-2 family: Regulators of cell death. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 16: 395–419. and
- 2002. Membrane protein insertion regulated by bringing electrostatic and hydrophobic interactions into play. A case study with the translocation domain of diphtheria toxin. J. Biol. Chem. 277: 43425–43432. , , , , , and
- 1992. The crystal structure of diphtheria toxin. Nature 357: 216–222. , , , , , , and
- 1943. Protein, amino acids, and peptides as ions and dipolar ions. Reinhold, New York. and
- 1992. The molten globule state. In Protein folding, pp. 243–300. W.H. Freeman and Co., New York.
- 1995. NMRPipe: A multidimensional spectral processing system based on UNIX pipes. J. Biomol. NMR 6: 277–293. , , , , , and
- 1980. The entry of diphtheria toxin into the mammalian cell cytoplasm: Evidence for lysosomal involvement. J. Cell Biol. 87: 849–854. and
- 1997. A mechanism for toxin insertion into membranes is suggested by the crystal structure of the channel-forming domain of colicin E1. Structure 5: 443–458. , , , and
- 1998. The energy landscape in non-biological and biological molecules. Nat. Struct. Biol. 5: 757–759. and
- 1998. Dynamics and function of proteins: The search for general concepts. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 95: 4795–4797. and
- 1997. Channel-forming toxins: Tales of transformation. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 7: 566–573.
- 1998. Mitochondria and apoptosis. Science 281: 1309–1312. and
- 2000. The role of the Bcl-2 family in the regulation of outer mitochondrial membrane permeability. Cell Death Differ. 7: 1182–1191. and
- 2000. The biochemistry of apoptosis. Nature 407: 770–776.
- 2001. β-barrel pore-forming toxins: Intriguing dimorphic proteins. Biochemistry 40: 9065–9073. , , and
- 2000. Hydrogen bonded cluster can specify the native state of a protein. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 122: 746–747. , , and
- 1997. Cytosol-to-membrane redistribution of Bax and Bcl-X(L) during apoptosis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 94: 3668–3672. , , and
- 2004. Using NMRView to visualize and analyze the NMR spectra of macromolecules. Methods Mol. Biol. 278: 313–352.
- 1994. NMRView: A computer program for the visualization and analysis of NMR data. J. Biomol. NMR 4: 603–615. and
- 1997. Partial volumes and compressibilities of extended polypeptide chains in aqueous solution: Additivity scheme and implication of protein unfolding at normal and high pressure. Biochemistry 36: 10276–10285.
- 1991. MOLSCRIPT: A program to produce both detailed and schematic plots of protein structures. J. Appl. Crystallogr. 24: 946–950.
- 1998. Unraveling the structures and modes of action of bacterial toxins. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 8: 778–784. and
- 1992. The membrane insertion of colicins. FEBS Lett. 307: 26–29. , , , and
- 1997. Membrane insertion: The strategies of toxins (review). Mol. Membr. Biol. 14: 45–64. , , , , and
- 1944. A method for the solution of certain problems in least squares. Quart. Appl. Math. 2: 164–168.
- 2000. Unfolding pathway of the colicin E1 channel protein on a membrane surface. J. Mol. Biol. 295: 679–692. , , and
- 1992. Diphtheria toxin: Membrane interaction and membrane translocation. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1113: 25–51.
- 2000. NMR studies of the anti-apoptotic protein Bcl-xL in micelles. Biochemistry 39: 11024–11033. , , , , , and
- 1997. Mechanism of helix induction by trifluoro-ethanol: A framework for extrapolating the helix-forming properties of peptides from trifluoroethanol/water mixtures back to water. Biochemistry 36: 8413–8421. and
- 2001. A method for efficient isotopic labeling of recombinant proteins. J. Biomol. NMR 20: 71–75. , , and
- 1963. An algorithm for least-squares estimation of nonlinear parameters. SIAM J. Appl. Math. 11: 431–441.
- 2000. Changes in intramitochondrial and cytosolic pH: Early events that modulate caspase activation during apoptosis. Nat. Cell Biol. 2: 318–325. , , , , and
- 1989. The electrostatic properties of membranes. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biophys. Chem. 18: 113–136.
- 1989. Interaction of tetanus toxin with lipid vesicles. Effects of pH, surface charge, and transmembrane potential on the kinetics of channel formation. Biophys. J. 55: 393–405. , , and
- 1997. Bcl-x(L) forms an ion channel in synthetic lipid membranes. Nature 385: 353–357. , , , , , , , and
- 1999. Bcl-xL regulates apoptosis by heterodimerization-dependent and -independent mechanisms. EMBO J. 18: 632–643. , , , , , , , , and
- 1996. X-ray and NMR structure of human Bcl-xL, an inhibitor of programmed cell death. Nature 381: 335–341. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Electrostatic properties of membranes containing acidic lipids and adsorbed basic peptides: Theory and experiment. Biophys. J. 77: 3176–3188. , , , , , , and
- 2002. Association of human tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis inducing ligand with membrane upon acidification. Eur. J. Biochem. 269: 5280–5287. and
- 1998. Bcl-XL cooperatively associates with the Bap31 complex in the endoplasmic reticulum, dependent on procaspase-8 and Ced-4 adaptor. J. Biol. Chem. 273: 3140–3143. and
- 1996. Organization of diphtheria toxin T domain in bilayers: A site-directed spin labeling study. Science 273: 810–812. , , , , , and
- 1989. Structure of the membrane-pore-forming fragment of colicin A. Nature 337: 93–96. , , , and
- 1990. Insights into membrane insertion based on studies of colicins. Trends Biochem. Sci. 15: 126–129. , , , and
- 1992. Refined structure of the pore-forming domain of colicin A at 2.4 Å resolution. J. Mol. Biol. 224: 639–657. , , , , and
- 2000. Contribution of proton linkage to the thermodynamic stability of the major cold-shock protein of Escherichia coli CspA. Protein Sci. 9: 387–394. and
- 1976. Thermodynamic investigations of proteins. III. Thermodynamic description of lysozyme. Biophys. Chem. 4: 41–50. and
- 1990. Evidence for a molten globule state as a general intermediate in protein folding. FEBS Lett. 262: 20–24. , , , , and
- 1989. Energetics of diphtheria toxin membrane insertion and translocation: Calorimetric characterization of the acid pH induced transition. Biochemistry 28: 529–533. , , , and
- 2000. BAX-dependent transport of cytochrome c reconstituted in pure liposomes. Nat. Cell Biol. 2: 553–555. , , and
- 2001. Molecular cloning: A laboratory manual, 3d ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY. and
- 1980. Diphtheria toxin entry into cells is facilitated by low pH. J. Cell Biol. 87: 828–832. and
- 1988. Unfolding free energy changes determined by the linear extrapolation method. 1. Unfolding of phenylmethanesulfonyl α-chymotrypsin using different denaturants. Biochemistry 27: 8063–8068. and
- 2002. Guanidine hydrochloride induced equilibrium unfolding studies of colicin B and its channel-forming fragment. Biochemistry 41: 5340–5347. , , , and
- 1997. Structure of Bcl-xL-Bak peptide complex: Recognition between regulators of apoptosis. Science 275: 983–986. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. pH, ionic strength, and temperature dependences of ionization equilibria for the carboxyl groups in turkey ovomucoid third domain. Biochemistry 34: 4714–4723. and
- 1994. On the nature of the unfolded intermediate in the in vitro transition of the colicin E1 channel domain from the aqueous to the membrane phase. Protein Sci. 3: 2272–2279. and
- 1998. Bcl-2 family proteins as ion-channels. Cell Death Differ. 5: 372–380. , , and
- 1995. Multiple Bcl-2 family members demonstrate selective dimerizations with Bax. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 92: 7834–7838. , , , , , , and
- 1999. Bcl-2 family proteins regulate the release of apoptogenic cytochrome c by the mitochondrial channel VDAC. Nature 399: 483–487. , , and
- 2001. Molten–globule structure and membrane binding of the N-terminal protease-resistant domain (63–193) of the steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR). Biochem. J. 356: 151–158. , , , , and
- 1998. Electrostatic coupling to pH-titrating sites as a source of cooperativity in protein-ligand binding. Protein Sci. 7: 2012–2025. and
- 2000. Structure of Bax: Co-regulation of dimer formation and intracellular localization. Cell 103: 645–654. , , and
- 1991. A “molten-globule” membrane-insertion intermediate of the pore-forming domain of colicin A. Nature 354: 408–410. , , , and
- 2001. Bcl-xL promotes the open configuration of the voltage-dependent anion channel and metabolite passage through the outer mitochondrial membrane. J. Biol. Chem. 276: 19414–19419. , , , , , and
- 2001. The origin of pH-dependent changes in m-values for the denaturant-induced unfolding of proteins. J. Mol. Biol. 309: 1165–1175. , , , , and
- 2005. Local conformational fluctuations can modulate the coupling between proton binding and global structural transitions in proteins. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 102: 4282–4287. , , and
- 1997. Movement of Bax from the cytosol to mitochondria during apoptosis. J. Cell Biol. 139: 1281–1292. , , , , , and
- 1998. Acidic pH promotes dimerization of Bcl-2 family proteins. Biochemistry 37: 6410–6418. , , , and
- 2002a. Colicin crystal structures: Pathways and mechanisms for colicin insertion into membranes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1565: 333–346. and
- 2002b. Insertion intermediates of pore-forming colicins in membrane two-dimensional space. Biochimie 84: 465–475. and