An experimental study of GFP-based FRET, with application to intrinsically unstructured proteins
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2007 The Protein Society
Volume 16, Issue 7, pages 1429–1438, July 2007
How to Cite
Ohashi, T., Galiacy, S. D., Briscoe, G. and Erickson, H. P. (2007), An experimental study of GFP-based FRET, with application to intrinsically unstructured proteins. Protein Science, 16: 1429–1438. doi: 10.1110/ps.072845607
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 APR 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 24 APR 2007
- Manuscript Received: 28 FEB 2007
- 2006. Directed evolution of a monomeric, bright, and photostable version of Clavularia cyan fluorescent protein: Structural characterization and applications in fluorescence imaging. Biochem. J. 400: 531–540. , , , and
- 2004. Biochemical effects of molecular crowding. Biochemistry (Mosc.) 69: 1239–1251. , , and
- 2000. Two proteins with the same structure respond very differently to mutation: The role of plasticity in protein stability. J. Mol. Biol. 302: 713–725. , , , and
- 2002. FlgM gains structure in living cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 99: 12681–12684. , , , and
- 2005. Molecular crowding effects on protein stability. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1066: 54–66. , , and
- 2004. Exploring the energy landscape of GFP by single-molecule mechanical experiments. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 101: 16192–16197. and
- 2002. Intrinsic disorder and protein function. Biochemistry 41: 6573–6582. , , , , and
- 2005. Intrinsically unstructured proteins and their functions. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 6: 197–208. and
- 2001. Macromolecular crowding: An important but neglected aspect of the intracellular environment. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 11: 114–119.
- 2001. The FtsZ protofilament and attachment of ZipA—structural constraints on the FtsZ power stroke. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 13: 55–60.
- 2006. Quantitative understanding of the energy transfer between fluorescent proteins connected via flexible peptide linkers. Biochemistry 45: 13183–13192. , , , , and
- 2001. Effects of macromolecular crowding on the intrinsically disordered proteins c-Fos and p27(Kip1). Biomacromolecules 2: 538–540. and
- 1979. Trinodular structure of fibrinogen. Confirmation by both shadowing and negative stain electron microscopy. J. Mol. Biol. 134: 241–249. and
- 2006. Backbone conformational constraints in a microcrystalline U-15N-labeled protein by 3D dipolar-shift solid-state NMR spectroscopy. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 128: 3154–3155. , , , and
- 1996. Engineering green fluorescent protein for improved brightness, longer wavelengths, and fluorescence resonance energy transfer. Curr. Biol. 6: 178–182. and
- 1995. Adducin: A physical model with implications for function in assembly of spectrin-actin complexes. J. Biol. Chem. 270: 18990–18996. and
- 1999. Principles of fluorescence spectroscopy, 2nd ed. Kluwer Academic, New York.
- 1996. 2.0 Å crystal structure of a four-domain segment of human fibronectin encompassing the RGD loop and synergy region. Cell 84: 155–164. , , and
- 2001. Multiple conformations of PEVK proteins detected by single-molecule techniques. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 98: 10682–10686. , , , , , and
- 2004. Solvent dependence of PII conformation in model alanine peptides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 126: 15141–15150. , , , , , and
- 2006. Macromolecular crowding in the Escherichia coli periplasm maintains α-synuclein disorder. J. Mol. Biol. 355: 893–897. , , and
- 2006. Macromolecular crowding stabilizes the molten globule form of apomyoglobin with respect to both cold and heat unfolding. J. Mol. Biol. 361: 7–10. , , and
- 2005. Influence of macromolecular crowding upon the stability and state of association of proteins: Predictions and observations. J. Pharm. Sci. 94: 1668–1675.
- 1981. Effect of macromolecular crowding upon the structure and function of an enzyme: Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase. Biochemistry 20: 4821–4826. and
- 1996. Over-production of proteins in Escherichia coli: Mutant hosts that allow synthesis of some membrane proteins and globular proteins at high levels. J. Mol. Biol. 260: 289–298. and
- 1996. Fluorescence resonance energy transfer between blue-emitting and red-shifted excitation derivatives of the green fluorescent protein. Gene 173: 13–17. , , and
- 1997. Fluorescent indicators for Ca2+ based on green fluorescent proteins and calmodulin. Nature 388: 882–887. , , , , , , and
- 2004. Structural characterization of unfolded states of apomyoglobin using residual dipolar couplings. J. Mol. Biol. 340: 1131–1142. , , , , and
- 2002. A variant of yellow fluorescent protein with fast and efficient maturation for cell-biological applications. Nat. Biotechnol. 20: 87–90. , , , , , and
- 2005. Evolutionary optimization of fluorescent proteins for intracellular FRET. Nat. Biotechnol. 23: 355–360. and
- 1998. The molecular elasticity of the extracellular matrix protein tenascin. Nature 393: 181–185. , , , and
- 2004. The disulfide bonding pattern in ficolin multimers. J. Biol. Chem. 279: 6534–6539. and
- 2002. Structural evidence that the P/Q domain of ZipA is an unstructured, flexible tether between the membrane and the C-terminal FtsZ-binding domain. J. Bacteriol. 184: 4313–4315. , , , and
- 1996. Crystal structure of the Aequorea victoria green fluorescent protein. Science 273: 1392–1395. , , , , , and
- 2000. Forster distances between green fluorescent protein pairs. Anal. Biochem. 284: 438–440. , , and
- 1997. Novel fluorescent indicator proteins for monitoring free intracellular Ca2+. Cell Calcium 22: 209–216. , , and
- 1997. Structure and dynamics of green fluorescent protein. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 7: 821–827.
- 1997. A comparison of the folding kinetics and thermodynamics of two homologous fibronectin type III modules. J. Mol. Biol. 270: 763–770. , , , and
- 2002. Crystal structure of venus, a yellow fluorescent protein with improved maturation and reduced environmental sensitivity. J. Biol. Chem. 277: 50573–50578. , , , , and
- 1996. Scanning force microscopy of DNA deposited onto mica: Equilibration versus kinetic trapping studied by statistical polymer chain analysis. J. Mol. Biol. 264: 919–932. , , and
- 2001. Cell adhesion molecule L1 in folded (horseshoe) and extended conformations. Mol. Biol. Cell 12: 1765–1773. , , , and
- 2006. Concatenation of cyan and yellow fluorescent proteins for efficient resonance energy transfer. Biochemistry 45: 6267–6271. , , , , , and
- 2002. Intrinsically unstructured proteins. Trends Biochem. Sci. 27: 527–533.
- 1998. The green fluorescent protein. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 67: 509–544.
- 2002. Natively unfolded proteins: A point where biology waits for physics. Protein Sci. 11: 739–756.
- 2005. Urea promotes polyproline II helix formation: Implications for protein denatured states. Biochemistry 44: 6269–6275. , , , and
- 1994. Resonance energy transfer: Methods and applications. Anal. Biochem. 218: 1–13. and
- 1998. Detection of programmed cell death using fluorescence energy transfer. Nucleic Acids Res. 26: 2034–2035. , , , , , and
- 2000. Solid-state synthesis and mechanical unfolding of polymers of T4 lysozyme. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 97: 139–144. , , , , , , , , and
- 2006. Intracellular protein interaction mapping with FRET hybrids. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 103: 18458–18463. , , , , , and
- 2000. A genetically encoded, fluorescent indicator for cyclic AMP in living cells. Nat. Cell Biol. 2: 25–29. , , , , , , , , and
- 2002. Partitioning of lipid-modified monomeric GFPs into membrane microdomains of live cells. Science 296: 913–916. , , , and
- 2004. Polymer models of protein stability, folding, and interactions. Biochemistry 43: 2141–2154.