Identification of transient hub proteins and the possible structural basis for their multiple interactions
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2008 The Protein Society
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 72–78, January 2008
How to Cite
Higurashi, M., Ishida, T. and Kinoshita, K. (2008), Identification of transient hub proteins and the possible structural basis for their multiple interactions. Protein Science, 17: 72–78. doi: 10.1110/ps.073196308
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 5 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Received: 27 AUG 2007
- 2000. The Protein Data Bank. Nucleic Acids Res. 28: 235–242. , , , , , , , and
- 2004. Combining prediction, computation and experiment for the characterization of protein disorder. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 14: 570–576. , , , and
- 2005. Flexible nets—The roles of intrinsic disorder in protein interaction networks. FEBS J. 272: 5129–5148. , , , , and
- 2005. Intrinsically unstructured proteins and their functions. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 6: 197–208. and
- 1993. Improved strategy in analytic surface calculation for molecular systems: Handling of singularities and computational efficiency. J. Comput. Chem. 14: 1272–1280. and
- 2005. Binding of Rad51 and other peptide sequences to a promiscuous, highly electrostatic binding site in p53. J. Biol. Chem. 280: 8051–8059. , , , , and
- 2003. A protein interaction map of Drosophila melanogaster. Science 302: 1727–1736. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. CBP/p300 in cell growth, transformation, and development. Genes & Dev. 14: 1553–1577. and
- 2005. Conformational changes observed in enzyme crystal structures upon substrate binding. J. Mol. Biol. 346: 21–28. and
- 1998. PQS: A protein quaternary structure file server. Trends Biochem. Sci. 23: 358–361. and
- 2002. Intrinsic disorder in cell-signaling and cancer-associated proteins. J. Mol. Biol. 323: 573–584. , , , , and
- 2007. PrDOS: Prediction of disordered protein regions from amino acid sequence. Nucleic Acids Res. 35: W460–W464. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkm363. and
- 2001. A comprehensive two-hybrid analysis to explore the yeast protein interactome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 98: 4569–4574. , , , , , and
- 2000. The large-scale organization of metabolic networks. Nature 407: 651–654. , , , , and
- 2001. Lethality and centrality in protein networks. Nature 411: 41–42. , , , and
- 1996. Principles of protein–protein interactions. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 93: 13–20. and
- 1983. Dictionary of protein secondary structure: Pattern recognition of hydrogen-bonded and geometrical features. Biopolymers 22: 2577–2637. and
- 1989. On the orthogonal transformation used for structural comparisons. Acta Crystallographica A 45: 208–210.
- 1996. Structural studies of p21Waf1/Cip1/Sdi1 in the free and Cdk2-bound state: Conformational disorder mediates binding diversity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 93: 11504–11509. , , , , and
- 1982. A simple method for displaying the hydropathic character of a protein. J. Mol. Biol. 157: 105–132. and
- 2004. A map of the interactome network of the metazoan C. elegans. Science 303: 540–543. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Loopy proteins appear conserved in evolution. J. Mol. Biol. 322: 53–64. , , and
- 1996. Functional interaction of the c-Myc transactivation domain with the TATA binding protein: Evidence for an induced fit model of transactivation domain folding. Biochemistry 35: 9584–9593. , , , and
- 2001. Roles of partly unfolded conformations in macromolecular self-assembly. Genes Cells 6: 1–12.
- 1970. A general method applicable to the search for similarities in the amino acid sequence of two proteins. J. Mol. Biol. 48: 443–453. and
- 2006. Disordered domains and high surface charge confer hubs with the ability to interact with multiple proteins in interaction networks. FEBS Lett. 580: 2041–2045. and
- 1979. Nucleotide binding proteins. In Molecular mechanism of biological recognition (ed. M.Balaban), pp. 79–94. Elsevier, New York.
- 2002. On the role of electrostatic interactions in the design of protein–protein interfaces. J. Mol. Biol. 318: 161–177. and
- 2000. Speeding molecular recognition by using the folding funnel: The fly-casting mechanism. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 97: 8868–8873. , , and
- 1994. Coupling of local folding to site-specific binding of proteins to DNA. Science 263: 777–784. and
- 2006. Analyses of homo-oligomer interfaces of proteins from the complementarity of molecular surface, electrostatic potential and hydrophobicity. Protein Eng. Des. Sel. 19: 421–429. , , and
- 2000. A comprehensive analysis of protein–protein interactions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature 403: 623–627. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Intrinsically unstructured proteins: Re-assessing the protein structure–function paradigm. J. Mol. Biol. 293: 321–331. and
- 2004. The diverse superfamily of lysine acetyltransferases and their roles in leukemia and other diseases. Nucleic Acids Res. 32: 959–976.