Stabilization of hen egg white lysozyme by a cavity-filling mutation
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2001 The Protein Society
Volume 10, Issue 2, pages 313–320, February 2001
How to Cite
Ohmura, T., Ueda, T., Ootsuka, K., Saito, M. and Imoto, T. (2001), Stabilization of hen egg white lysozyme by a cavity-filling mutation. Protein Science, 10: 313–320. doi: 10.1110/ps.37401
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 NOV 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 4 NOV 2000
- Manuscript Received: 6 SEP 2000
- 1997. Conformational stabilities of Escherichia coli RNase HI variants with a series of amino acid substitutions at a cavity within the hydrophobic core. J. Biol. Chem. 272: 18686–18693. , , , and
- 1993. Hydrophobic core repacking and aromatic-aromatic interaction in the thermostable mutant of T4 lysozyme Ser 117 – Phe. Protein Sci. 2: 1285–1290. , , , , and
- 1996. Thermodynamic and structural compensation in “size-switch” core repacking variants of bacteriophage T4 lysozyme. J. Mol. Biol. 259: 542–559. , , , , and
- 1992. X-PLOR manual Ver. 3.1. Yale University, NH, USA.
- 1996. Structural and energetic responses to cavity-creating mutations in hydrophobic cores: Observation of a buried water molecule and the hydrophilic nature of such hydrophobic cavities. Biochemistry 35: 4298–4305. , , and
- 1985. Aromatic-aromatic interaction: A mechanism of protein structure stabilization. Science 229: 23–28. and
- 1976. The nature of the accessible and buried surfaces in proteins. J. Mol. Biol. 105: 1–12.
- 1978. Prediction of the secondary structure of proteins from their amino acid sequence. Adv. Enzymol. 47: 145–148. and
- 1986. Atomic size packing defects in proteins. Int. J. Pept. Protein. Res. 28: 360–363.
- 1988. Structure and energetics of ligand binding to proteins: Escherichia coli dihydrofolate reductase-trimethoprim, a drug-receptor system. Proteins 4: 31–47. , , , , , and
- 1990. Dominant forces in protein folding. Biochemistry 29: 7133–7155.
- 1992. The effect of cavity-filling mutations on the thermostability of Bacillus stearothermophilus neutral protease. Protein Eng. 5: 421–426. , , , , , , , , and
- 1992. Response of a protein structure to cavity-creating mutations and its relation to the hydrophobic effect. Science 255: 178–183. , , , , , , and
- 1996. A mutation study of catalytic residue Asp 52 in hen egg lysozyme. J. Biochem. 119: 145–150. , , , , , , , , and
- 1994. Lysozyme requires fluctuation of the active site for the manifestation of activity. Protein Eng. 7: 743–748. , , , , , , , , and
- 1992. Multiple role of hydrophobicity of tryptophan-108 in chicken lysozyme: Structural stability, saccharide binding ability, and abnormal pKa of glutamic acid-35. Biochemistry 31: 5545–5553. , , , , , , and
- 1993. Stabilization of Escherichia coli ribonuclease HI by cavity-filling mutations within a hydrophobic core. Biochemistry 32: 6171–6178. , , , and
- 1993. Effect of cavity-creating mutations in the hydrophobic core of chymotrypsin inhibitor 2. Biochemistry 32: 11259–11269. , , , , and
- 1989. Hydrophobic packing in T4 lysozyme probed by cavity-filling mutants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86: 8237–8241. , , , and
- 1991. MOLSCRIPT. A program to produce both detailed and schematic plots of protein structure. J. Appl. Crystallogr. 24: 946–950.
- 1988. Hydrophobic stabilization in T4 lysozyme determined directly by multiple substitutions of Ile 3. Nature 334: 406–410. , , and
- 1999. Analysis of the relationship between enzyme activity and its internal motion using nuclear magnetic resonance: 15N relaxation studies of wild-type and mutant lysozyme. J. Mol. Biol. 286: 1547–1565. , , , , and
- 1997. Analysis of the stability of mutant lysozymes at position 15 using X-ray crystallography. J. Biochem. 122: 512–517. , , , , and
- 1986. Determination and analysis of urea and guanidine hydrochloride denaturation curves. Methods Enzymol. 131: 266–280.
- 1985. Sulphur aromatic interactions in proteins. FEBS Letters 190: 209–213. , , and
- 1990. TURBO-FRODO: Bordeaux, France: XV IUCr Congess. , , and
- 1991. Aromatic-aromatic interactions and protein stability investigation by double-mutant cycles. J. Mol. Biol. 218: 465–475. , , and
- 1996. The M32L substitution of staphylococcal nuclease: Disagreement between theoretical prediction and experimental protein stability. J. Mol. Biol. 257: 497–499. and
- 1993. Stabilization of lysozyme by the introduction of Gly-Pro sequence. Protein Eng. 6: 183–187. , , , , , , and
- 1981. A convenient synthesis of glycolchitin, a substrate of lysozyme. Carbohydr. Res. 92: 160–162. and
- 1987. Dependence of conformational stability on hydrophobicity of the amino acid residue in a series of variant proteins substituted at a unique position of tryptophan synthase α-subunit. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 84: 4441–4444. , , , and
- 1996. Context dependence of mutational effects in a protein: The crystal structuresof the V35I, I47V and V35I/I47V gene V protein core mutants. J. Mol. Biol. 259: 148–159. , , , , and