Optimization of binding electrostatics: Charge complementarity in the barnase-barstar protein complex
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2001 The Protein Society
Volume 10, Issue 2, pages 362–377, February 2001
How to Cite
Lee, L.-P. and Tidor, B. (2001), Optimization of binding electrostatics: Charge complementarity in the barnase-barstar protein complex. Protein Science, 10: 362–377. doi: 10.1110/ps.40001
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 NOV 2000
- Manuscript Received: 19 SEP 2000
- 1985. Simulation of the diffusion-controlled reaction between superoxide and superoxide dismutase. I. Simple models. Biopolymers 24: 1323–1336. , , and
- 1988. Simulation of the diffusion-controlled reaction between superoxide and superoxide dismutase. II. Detailed models. Biopolymers 27: 251–269. , , and
- 1991. The electrostatic potential of Escherichia coli dihydrofolate reductase. Proteins 11: 1–12. , , , and
- 1973. Modern Electrochemistry. Plenum, New York. and
- 1983. charmm: A program for macromolecular energy, minimization, and dynamics calculations. J. Comput. Chem. 4: 187–217. , , , , , and
- 1997. Finite difference Poisson-Boltzmann electrostatic calculations: Increased accuracy achieved by harmonic dielectric smoothing and charge antialiasing. J. Comput. Chem. 18: 268–276. , , , and
- 1994. Protein-protein recognition: Crystal structural analysis of a barnase-barstar complex at 2.0Å resolution. Biochemistry 33: 8878–8889. , , and
- 1999. Long-range electrostatic contributions to protein-ligand binding estimated using protein charge ladders, affinity capillary electrophoresis, and continuum electrostatic theory. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 121: 4340–4347. , , , , and
- 1998. Computation of electrostatic complements to proteins: A case of charge stabilized binding. Protein Sci. 7: 206–210. , , , , and
- 1975. Principles of protein-protein recognition. Nature 256: 705–708. and
- 1983. Analytical molecular surface calculation. J. Appl. Crystallogr. 16: 548–558.
- 1997. De novo protein design: Fully automated sequence selection. Science 278: 82–87. and
- 1992. The dead-end elimination theorem and its use in protein side-chain positioning. Nature 356: 539–542. , , , and
- 1997. On the variational approach to Poisson-Boltzmann free energies. Chem. Phys. Lett. 281: 135–139. and
- 1997. On the calculation of binding free energies using continuum methods: Application to MHC class I protein-peptide interactions. Protein Sci. 6: 1293–1301. , , and
- 1997. Simulation of the diffusional association of barnase and barstar. Biophys. J. 72: 1917–1929. and
- 1987. Calculation of electrostatic potentials in an enzyme active site. Nature 330: 84–86. and
- 1988. Calculating the electrostatic potential of molecules in solution: Method and error assessment. J. Comput. Chem. 9: 327–335. , , and
- 1993. Recognition between a bacterial ribonuclease, barnase, and its natural inhibitor, barstar. Structure 1: 165–177. , , , and
- 1995. Repacking protein cores with backbone freedom: Structure prediction for coiled coils. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92: 8408–8412. , , and
- 1998. High-resolution protein design with backbone freedom. Science 282: 1462–1467. , , , , and
- 1993. Directed mutagenesis and barnase-barstar recognition. Biochemistry 32: 5978–5984.
- 1994. Do salt bridges stabilize proteins? A continuum electrostatic analysis. Protein Sci. 3: 211–226. and
- 1999. Electrostatic interactions in the GCN4 leucine zipper: Substantial contributions arise from intramolecular interactions enhanced on binding. Protein Sci. 8: 1381–1392. and
- 1986. An Introduction to Statistical Thermodynamics. Dover, New York.
- 1988. The OPLS potential function for proteins. Energy minimizations for crystals of cyclic peptides and crambin. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 110: 1657–1666. and
- 1998. Optimizing electrostatic affinity in ligand-receptor binding: Theory, computation, and ligand properties. J. Chem. Phys. 109: 7522–7545. and
- 1999. Charge optimization leads to favorable electrostatic binding free energy. Phys. Rev. E. 59: 5958–5961. and
- 1986. Focusing of electric fields in the active site of Cu-Zn superoxide dismutase: Effects of ionic strength and amino-acid modification. Proteins 1: 47–59. , , , , and
- 1991. molscript: A program to produce both detailed and schematic plots of protein structures. J. Appl. Crystallogr. 24: 946–950.
- 1999. The maximal affinity of ligands. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96: 9997–10002. , , , and
- 1997. Optimization of electrostatic binding free energy. J. Chem. Phys. 106: 8681–8690. and
- 2001. Barstar is electrostatically optimized for tight-binding to barnase. Nat. Struct. Biol., in press. and
- 1983. The geometry of the reactive site and of the peptide groups in trypsin, trypsinogen and its complexes with inhibitors. Acta. Crystallogr. Ser. B. 39: 480–490. , , , , and
- 1999. Refinement and structural analysis of barnase at 1.5Å resolution. Acta. Crystallogr. Ser. D. 55: 386–398. , , , , and
- 1997. Raster3D: Photorealistic molecular graphics. Method. Enzymol. 277: 505–524. and
- 1994a. Salt effects on protein-DNA interactions: The λcI repressor and EcoRI endonuclease. J. Mol. Biol. 238: 264–280. , , , , and
- 1994b. Salt effects on ligand-DNA binding: Minor groove binding antibiotics. J. Mol. Biol. 238: 245–263. , , , and
- 1991. Protein folding and association: Insights from the interfacial and thermodynamic properties of hydrocarbons. Proteins 11: 281–296. , , and
- 1997. The folding pathway of a protein at high resolution from microseconds to seconds. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94: 826–830. , , , , , and
- 1997. Empirical free energy calculations: A blind test and further improvements to the method. J. Mol. Biol. 268: 401–411. , , , and
- 1990. The role of energy and entropy in the electrical double layer. Colloid. Surf. 51: 61–75.
- 1982. Building models of globular protein molecules from their amino acid sequences. I. Theory. J. Mol. Biol. 155: 53–62.
- 1992. Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2nd ed. , , , and
- 1998. Discrepancies between the NMR and X-ray structures of uncomplexed barstar: Analysis suggests that packing densities of protein structures determined by NMR are unreliable. Biochemistry 37: 6958–6966. , , , and
- 1977. Areas, volumes, packing, and protein structure. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Bioeng. 6: 151–176.
- 1999. Implicit solvent models. Biophys. Chem. 78: 1–20. and
- 1993. Interaction of barnase with its polypeptide inhibitor barstar studied by protein engineering. Biochemistry 32: 5145–5150. and
- 1995. Energetics of protein-protein interactions: Analysis of the barnase-barstar interface by single mutations and double mutant cycles. J. Mol. Biol. 248: 478–486. and
- 1996. Rapid, electrostatically assisted association of proteins. Nat. Struct. Biol. 3: 427–431. and
- 1994. Stability and function: Two constraints in the evolution of barstar and other proteins. Structure 2: 945–951. , , and
- 1996. Electrostatic interactions in hirudin-thrombin binding. Biophys. Chem. 61: 37–49.
- 1990a. Calculating total electrostatic energies with the nonlinear Poisson-Boltzmann equation. J. Phys. Chem. 94: 7684–7692. and
- 1990b. Electrostatic interactions in macromolecules: Theory and applications. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biophys. Biom. 19: 301–332. and
- 1996. Electrostatic binding energy calculation using the finite difference solution to the linearized Poisson-Boltzmann equation: Assessment of its accuracy. J. Comput. Chem. 17: 350–357. and
- 1998. Effects of salt bridges on protein structure and design. Protein Sci. 7: 1898–1914. , , and
- 1994. Accurate calculation of hydration free energies using macroscopic solvent models. J. Phys. Chem. 98: 1978–1988. , , and
- 1993. Introduction to Linear Algebra. Wellesley-Cambridge Press, Wellesley, Massachusetts.
- 1960. The role of the α-helix in the structure of proteins. Optical rotatory dispersion of β-lactoglobulin. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 82: 6028–6034. , , and
- 1994. The contribution of vibrational entropy to molecular association. The dimerization of insulin. J. Mol. Biol. 238: 405–414. and
- 1997a. Linear Programming: Foundations and Extentions. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1997b. LOQO v3.10 Princeton University, Princeton. and
- 1998. loqo v4.01. Princeton University, Princeton. and
- 1995. Are buried salt bridges important for protein stability and conformational specificity? Nat. Struct. Biol. 2: 122–128. , , and
- 1996. Energetic decomposition of the α-helix-coil equilibrium of a dynamic model system. Biopolymers 39: 479–489. , , , and
- 1996. Direct measurement of salt-bridge solvation energies using a peptide model system: Implications for protein stability. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93: 2985–2990. , , , and
- 1995. Free energy determinants of secondary structure formation: I. α-helices. J. Mol. Biol. 252: 351–365. and