These authors contributed equally to this paper.
Human liver mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase: Three-dimensional structure and the restoration of solubility and activity of chimeric forms
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1999 The Protein Society
Volume 8, Issue 12, pages 2784–2790, January 1999
How to Cite
Ni, L., Zhou, J., Weiner, H. and Hurley, T. D. (1999), Human liver mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase: Three-dimensional structure and the restoration of solubility and activity of chimeric forms. Protein Science, 8: 2784–2790. doi: 10.1110/ps.8.12.2784
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 OCT 1999
- Manuscript Received: 15 JUN 1999
- 1998. Chimeric proteins between cry1 and cry2 arabidopsis blue light photoreceptors indicate overlapping functions and varying protein stability. Plant Cell 10: 197–207. , , .
- 1988. Crystallographic refinement by simulated annealing. Application to a 2.8 Å resolution structure of aspartate aminotransferase. J Mol Biol 203: 803–816. .
- 1997. Pancreatic lipase structure-function relationships by domain exchange. Biochemistry 36: 239–248. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of changing glutamate 487 to lysine in rat and human liver mito-chondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase. A model to study human (oriental type) class 2 aldehyde dehydrogenase. J Biol Chem 269: 13854–13860. , , , , , .
- 1996. Biochemistry Department. West Lafayette: Purdue University, pp. 60–76. .
- 1996. Allosteric activation of L-lactate dehydrogenase analyzed by hybrid enzymes with effector-sensitive and -insensitive subunits. J Biol Chem 271: 25611–25616. , , , , , .
- 1992. Purification of liver aldehyde dehydrogenase by p-hydroxyacetophenone-sepharose affinity matrix and the coelution of chloramphenicol acetyl transferase from the same matrix with recombinantly expressed aldehyde dehydrogenase. Protein Expr Purif 3: 470–478. , .
- 1999. Activity and cellular location in Sac-churomyces cerevisiae of chimeric mouse/yeast and Bacillus subtilis/yeast ferrochelatases. Arch Biochem Biophys 361: 231–240. , , .
- 1990. Sequence of the precursor of bovine liver mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase as determined from its cDNA, its gene, and its functionality. Arch Biochem Biophys 277: 351–360. , .
- 1985. Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase from human liver. Primary structure, difference in relation to the cytosolic enzyme, and functional correlations. Eur J Biochem 153: 13–28. , , .
- 1989. Site-directed mutagenesis by overlap extension using the polymerase chain reaction. Gene 77: 51–59. , , , , .
- 1989. Engineering hybrid genes without the use of restriction enzymes: Gene splicing by overlap extension. Gene 77: 61–68. , , , , .
- 1985. Cloning of cDNAs for human aldehyde dehydrogenases 1 and 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 2703–2707. , , , , .
- 1991. Purification and characterization of catalytically active precursor of rat liver mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase expressed in Escherichia coli. Arch Biochem Biophys 289: 214–222. , .
- 1994. Protein hydration observed by X-ray diffraction. Solvation properties of penicillopepsin and neuraminidase crystal structures. J Mol Biol 243: 100–115. , .
- 1998. Structure of betaine aldehyde dehydrogenase at 2.1 Å resolution. Protein Sci 7: 2106–2117. , , , , , .
- 1988. Aldehyde dehydrogenase from horse liver. Correlations of the same species variants for both the cytosolic and the mitochondrial forms of an enzyme. Eur J Biochem 172: 527–533. , , , , .
- 1990. Construction and properties of active chimeric enzymes between human aldolases A and B. Analysis of molecular regions which determine isozyme-specific functions. J Biol Chem 265: 17493–17498. , , , .
- 1991. MOLSCRIPT: A program to produce both detailed and schematic plots of protein structures. J Appl Crystallogr 24: 946–873. .
- 1999. The structure of retinal dehydrogenase type II at 2.7 Å resolution: Implications for retinal specificity [In Process Citation]. Biochemistry 38: 6003–6011. , .
- 1997. The first structure of an aldehyde dehydrogenase reveals novel interactions between NAD and the Rossmann fold. Nat Struct Biol 4: 317–326. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. A chimeric tyrosine/tryptophan hydroxylase. The tyrosine hydroxylase regulatory domain serves to stabilize enzyme activity. J Mol Neurosci 9: 35–48. , , .
- 1998. Sheep liver cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase: The structure reveals the basis for the retinal specificity of class 1 aldehyde dehydrogenases. Structure 6: 1541–1551. , , , , , .
- 1994. AMoRe: An automated package for molecular replacement. Acta Crystallogr Sect A 50: 157–163.
- 1997. Processing of X-ray diffraction data collected in oscillation mode. Methods Enzymol 276: 307–326. , .
- 1977. DNA sequencing with chain-terminating inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74: 5463–5467. , , .
- 1997. Structure of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase: The genetic component of ethanol aversion. Structure 5: 701–711. , , , .
- 1986. Use of bacteriophage T7 RNA polymerase to direct selective high-level expression of cloned genes. J Mol Biol 189: 113–130. , .
- 1985. A bacteriophage T7 RNA polymerase/promoter system for controlled exclusive expression of specific genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 82: 1074–1078. , .
- 1999. Intramolecular chimeras of the p51 subunit between HIV-1 and FIV reverse transcriptases suggest a stabilizing function for the p66 subunit in the heterodimeric enzyme. Biochemistry 38: 1633–1642. , , .
- 1995. Involvement of glutamate 268 in the active site of human liver mitochondrial (class 2) aldehyde dehydrogenase as probed by site-directed mutagenesis. Biochemistry 34: 237–243. , .
- 1989. Precise gene fusion by PCR. Nucleic Acids Res 17: 4895. , .
- 1993. Cloning and expression of the full-length cDNAs encoding human liver class 1 and class 2 aldehyde dehydrogenase. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 17: 828–831. , , .