Sequence specificity, statistical potentials, and three-dimensional structure prediction with self-correcting distance geometry calculations of β-sheet formation in proteins
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1999 The Protein Society
Volume 8, Issue 2, pages 326–342, 1999
How to Cite
Zhu, H. and Braun, W. (1999), Sequence specificity, statistical potentials, and three-dimensional structure prediction with self-correcting distance geometry calculations of β-sheet formation in proteins. Protein Science, 8: 326–342. doi: 10.1110/ps.8.2.326
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 1998
- Manuscript Received: 10 APR 1998
- 1997. Protein design: The choice of de novo sequences. J Biol Chem 272: 2031–2034. , .
- 1977. The Protein Data Bank. A computer-based archival file for macromolecular structures. Eur J Biochem 80: 319–324. , , , , , , , ,
- 1991. A method to identify protein sequences that fold into a known three-dimensional structure. Science 253: 164–170. , ,
- 1991. The frequency of ion-pair substructures in proteins is quantitatively related to electrostatic potential: A statistical model for nonbonded interactions. Proteins 9: 108–119. , .
- 1993. An empirical energy function for threading protein sequence through the folding motif. Proteins 16: 92–112. , .
- 1978. Empirical predictions of protein conformation. Ann Rev Biochem 47: 251–276. , .
- 1996. The roles of partly folded intermediates in protein folding. FASEB J 10: 110–118. , ,
- 1997. De novo protein design: Fully automated sequence selection. Science 278: 82–87. , .
- 1995. Why do protein architectures have Boltzmann-like statistics? Proteins 23: 142–150. , , .
- 1993. Why are the same protein folds used to perform different functions? FEBS Lett 325: 23–28. , , .
- 1996. Search for the most stable folds of protein chains: I. Application of a self-consistent molecular field theory to a problem of protein three-dimensional structure prediction. Protein Eng 9: 387–397. , .
- 1992. Topology fingerprint approach to the inverse protein folding problem. J Mol Biol 227: 227–238. , ,
- 1994. Pattern recognition and self-correcting distance geometry calculations applied to myohemerythrin. FEBS Lett 344: 147–153. ,
- 1996. The disulphide β-cross: From cystine geometry and clustering to classification of small disulphide-rich protein folds. J Mol Biol 264: 603–623. ,
- 1994. De novo design of β-sheet proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 8729–8730. .
- 1983. Dictionary of protein secondary structure: Pattern recognition of hydrogen-bonded and geometrical features. Biopolymers 22: 2577–2637. ,
- 1994. Phi-psi conformational pattern clustering of protein amino acid residues using the potential function method. CABIOS 10: 163–169. ,
- 1993. Thermodynamic β-sheet propensities measured using a zinc-finger host peptide. Nature 362: 267–270. , .
- 1996. A 2.2 A resolution crystal structure of a designed zinc finger protein bound to DNA. Nature Struct Biol 3: 940–945. , .
- 1994. Factors influencing the ability of knowledge-based potentials to identify native sequence-structure matches. J Mol Biol 235: 1598–1613. , , .
- 1978. Conformational preferences of amino acids in globular proteins. Biochemistry 17: 4277–4285.
- 1980. Specific recognition in the tertiary structure of beta-sheets of proteins. J Mol Biol 139: 627–639. ,
- 1992. Contact potential that recognizes the correct folding of globular proteins. J Mol Biol 227: 876–888. , .
- 1994a. Measurement of the β-sheet-forming propensities of amino acids. Nature 367: 660–663. , .
- 1994b. Context is a major determinant of β-sheet propensity. Nature 371: 264–267. , .
- 1996. How to derive a protein folding potential? A new approach to an old problem. J Mol Biol 264: 1164–1179. , .
- 1985. Estimation of effective interresidue contact energies from protein crystal structures: Quasi-chemical approximation. Macromolecules 18: 534–552. , .
- 1996. Residue-residue potentials with a favorable contact pair term and an unfavorable high packing density term, for simulation and threading. J Mol Biol 256: 623–644. , .
- 1995. Predicting the helix packing of globular proteins by self-correcting distance geometry. Protein Sci 4: 863–871. ,
- 1994. Intrinsic secondary structure propensities of the amino acids, using statistical pH-PS matrices: Comparison with experimental scales. Proteins 20: 301–311. ,
- 1995. SCOP: A structural classification of proteins database for the investigation of sequences and structures. J Mol Biol 247: 536–540. , , ,
- 1993. Identification and classification of protein fold families. Protein Eng 6: 485–500. , , , .
- 1995. Side-chain determinants of β-sheet stability. Biochemistry 34: 5718–5724. , .
- 1996. Energy functions that discriminate X-ray and near native folds from well-constructed decoys. J Mol Biol 258: 367–392. ,
- 1996. Search for the most stable folds of protein chains: II. Computation of stable architectures of β-proteins using a self-consistent molecular field theory. Protein Eng 9: 399–411. , .
- 1981. The anatomy and taxonomy of protein structure. Adv Protein Chem 34: 167–339. .
- 1992. Protein folding and protein refolding. FASEB J 6: 2545–2554. ,
- 1990. Calculation of conformational ensembles from potentials of mean force. An approach to the knowledge-based prediction of local structures in globular proteins. J Mol Biol 213: 859–883. .
- 1993. Boltzmann's principle, knowledge-based mean fields and protein folding. An approach to the computational determination of protein structures. J Comput-Aid Mol Des 7: 473–501. .
- 1995. Knowledge-based potentials for proteins. Curr Opin Struct Biol 5: 229–235. .
- 1997. Derivation and testing of pair potentials for protein folding. When is the quasichemical approximation correct? Protein Sci 6: 676–688. , , ,
- 1995. Guidelines for protein design: The energetics of beta sheet side chain interactions. Science 270: 980–982. ,
- 1997. Construction and design of β-sheets. Acc Chem Res 30: 153–161. ,
- 1994. A thermodynamic scale for the β-sheet forming tendencies of the amino acids. Biochemistry 33: 5510–5517. , ,
- 1976. Medium-and long-range interaction parameters between amino acids for predicting three-dimensional structure proteins. Macromolecules 9: 945–950. , .
- 1993. Extensive distance geometry calculations with different NOE calibrations. New criteria for structure selection applied to Sandostatin and BPTI. J Biomol NMR 3: 307–324. , ,
- 1987. Secondary structure predictions and medium range interactions. Biochim Biophys Acta 916: 200–204. , , ,
- 1995. An analysis of side chain interactions and pair correlations within antiparallel β-sheets: The differences between backbone hydrogen-bonded and non-hydrogen-bonded residue pairs. Proteins 22: 119–131. , .
- 1980. Correlation between internal mobility and stability of globular proteins. Biophys J 32: 549–560. , , ,
- 1995. Free energy determinants of secondary structure formation: II. Antiparallel beta-sheets. J Mol Biol 252: 366–376. ,