Cloning, mutagenesis, and structural analysis of human pancreatic α-amylase expressed in pichia pastoris
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1999 The Protein Society
Volume 8, Issue 3, pages 635–643, 1999
How to Cite
Rydberg, E. H., Sidhu, G., Vo, H. C., Hewitt, J., Ct, H. C.F., Wang, Y., Numao, S., Macgillivray, R. T.A., Overall, C. M., Brayer, G. D. and Withers, S. G. (1999), Cloning, mutagenesis, and structural analysis of human pancreatic α-amylase expressed in pichia pastoris. Protein Science, 8: 635–643. doi: 10.1110/ps.8.3.635
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 NOV 1998
- Manuscript Received: 8 SEP 1998
- 1997. The Protein Data Bank: A computer-based archival file for macromolecular structures. J Mol Biol 112: 535–542. , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Substrate mimicry in the active center of a mammalian alpha-amylase: Structural analysis of an enzyme-inhibitor complex. Structure 4: 1441–1452. , , ,
- 1991. Solution of the structure of Aspergillus niger acid α-amylase by combined molecular replacement and multiple isomorphous replacement methods. Acta Crystallogr B47: 527–535. , , , , .
- 1996. Identification of Asp549 as the catalytic nucleophile of glycogen debranching enzyme via trapping of the glycosyl-enzyme intermediate. Biochemistry 35: 5458–5463. , , , .
- 1993. Simultaneous high performance liquid chromatographic determination of both cleavage pattern and the ste-reochemical outcome of the hydrolysis reactions catalysed by glycosidases. Anal Biochem 212: 259–262. , , , .
- 1995. The structure of human pancreatic alpha-amylase at 1.8 angstrom resolution and comparisons with related enzymes. Protein Sci 4: 1730–1742. , , .
- 1992. X-PLOR: A system for X-ray crystallography and NMR. New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press. .
- 1997. Structure of the Aspergillus oryzae α-amylase complexed with the inhibitor acarbose at 2.0 Å resolution. Biochemistry 36: 10837–10845. , .
- 1987. The three-dimensional structure of porcine pancreatic α-amylase at 2.9 Å resolution. Role of calcium in structure and activity. EMBO J 6: 3909–3916. , , ,
- 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 162: 156–159. ,
- 1993. Recent advances in the expression of foreign genes in Pichia pastoris. Biotechnology 11: 905–910. , , .
- 1995. Single-step purification of a thermostable DNA polymerase expressed in Escherichia coli. BioTechniques 19: 780–784. , .
- 1989. Size distribution and general structural features of N-linked oligosaccharides from the methylotrophic yeast, Pichia pastoris. Yeast 5: 107–115. , .
- 1984. Simple synthesis of glycosyl fluorides. Chem Lett: 1747–1750. , ,
- 1991. A classification of glycosyl hydrolases based on amino acid sequence similarities. Biochem J 280: 309–316.
- 1995. Conserved catalytic machinery and the prediction of a common fold for several families of glycosyl hydrolases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 7090–7094. , , , , ,
- 1997. Structural and sequence-based classification of glycoside hydrolases. Curr Opin Struct Biol 7: 637–644. ,
- 1997. Protein glycosylation: The clash of the titans. Acc Chem Res 30: 452–459.
- 1991. Improved methods for building protein models in electron density maps and the location of errors in these maps. Acta Crystallogr A47: 110–119. , , ,
- 1996. Overexpression, purification and characterization of recombinant barley α-amylases 1 and 2 secreted by the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris. Protein Express Purif 8: 204–214. , , , ,
- 1994. Crystal and molecular structure of barley alpha-amylase. J Mol Biol 239: 104. , , ,
- 1992. Catalytic center of cyclo-dextrin glycosyltransferase derived from X-ray structure analysis combined with site-directed mutagenesis. Biochemistry 31: 8740–8746. , , , .
- 1994. Effect of acarbose on postprandial increase in blood glucose. Additive acute effect of once daily administration in insulin treated diabetes. Fortschritte der Medizin 112: 467–470. ,
- 1997. Expression of human cathepsin K in Pichia pastoris and preliminary crystallographic studies of an inhibitor complex. Protein Sci 6: 919–921. , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Crystallization of a deglycosylated T cell receptor (TCR) complexed with an anti-TCR fab fragment. J Biol Chem 271: 33639–33646. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1952. Traitement statistique des erreurs dans la dètermination des structures cristallines. Acta Crystallogr 5: 803–810. .
- 1996. Mechanistic consequences of mutation of active site carboxylates in a retaining beta-1,4-glycanase from Cellulomonas fimi. Biochemistry 35: 13165–13172. , , , , .
- 1992. Effect of an intestinal disaccharidase inhibitor (AO-128) on obesity and diabetes. Am J Clin Nutr 55: 314S–317S. , ,
- 1993. Syntheses of 2-deoxy-2-fluoro-mono- and oligosaccharide glycosides from glycals and evaluation as glycosidase inhibitors. Carbohyr Res 249: 77–90. , , , , , .
- 1994. Mechanisms of enzymatic glycoside hydrolysis. Curr Opin Struct Biol 4: 885–892. , .
- 1996. Unequivocal identification of Asp-214 as the catalytic nucleophile of saccharomyces cerevisiae alpha-glucosidase using 5-fluoro glycosyl fluorides. J Biol Chem 271: 6889–6894. , .
- 1996. The pKa of the general acid/base carboxyl group of a glycosidase cycles during catalysis—A C-13-NMR study of Bacillus circulans xylanase. Biochemistry 35: 9958–9966. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Trapping and characterization of the reaction intermediate in cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase by use of activated substrates and a mutant enzyme. Biochemistry 36: 9927–9934. , , , ,
- 1986. Comparison of amino acid sequences of eleven different α-amylases. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 23: 355–360. , ,
- 1994. AMoRe: An automated package for molecular replacement. Acta Crystallogr A50: 157–163.
- 1989. A general method of site-specific mutagenesis using a modification of the Thermus aquaticus polymerase chain reaction. Anal Biochem 180: 147–151. , .
- 1996. Cloning, expression, and spectroscopic characterization of Cucumis sativus stallacyanin in its nonglycosylated form. Protein Sci 5: 2184–2192. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Corrected sequences of cDNAs for human salivary and pancreatic α-amylases. Gene 50: 371–372. , , ,
- 1997. Effect of acarbose on glucose intolerance in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Diabet Res Clin Prac 37: 129–136. , ,
- 1997. Processing of X-ray diffraction data collected in oscillation mode. Methods Enzymol 276: 307–326. ,
- 1994. The active centre of a mammalian α-amylase. Structure of the complex of a pancreatic α-amylase with a carbohydrate inhibitor refined to 2.2 Å resolution. Biochemistry 33: 6284–6294. , , , ,
- 1997. Structure of a pancreatic α-amylase bound to a substrate analogue at 2.03 Å resolution. Protein Sci 6: 2285–2296. , , ,
- 1996. Structure of human salivary alpha-amylase at 1.6-angstrom resolution—Implications for its role in the oral cavity. Acta Crystallogr Sect D Biol Crystallogr D52: 435–446. , , , , .
- 1990. Effect of acarbose on carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in NIDDM patients poorly controlled by sulfonylureas. Diabet Care 13: 32–36. , , , , .
- 1966. Purification of α-amylases by precipitation of amylase-glycogen complexes. Methods Enzymol VIII: 533–537. ,
- 1996. The amino acid at the X position of an Asn-X-Ser sequon is an important determinant of N-linked core-glycosylation efficiency. J Biol Chem 271: 6363–6366. , ,
- 1990. Catalytic mechanisms of enzymic glycosyl transfer. Chem Rev 90: 1171–1202. .
- 1992. Periodic acid/Schiff staining of glycoproteins immobilized on a blotting matrix. BioTechniques 13: 744–746. ,
- 1990. Crystallization and preliminary crystallographic study of bacterial α-amylases. J Biochem 108: 379–381. , , , , ,
- 1991. Structure and molecular model refinement of Asper-gillus oryzae (TAKA) α-amylase: An application of the simulated-annealing method. Acta Crystallogr B47: 535–544. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Structure of oligosaccharides on Saccharomyces SUC2 invertase secreted by the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris. J Biol Chem 34: 22807–22817. , , , ,
- 1994. Changing enzymatic reaction mechanisms by mutagenesis: Conversion of a retaining glucosidase to an inverting enzyme. J Am Chem Soc 116: 11594–11595. , , , , .
- 1995. The crystal structure of porcine pancreatic alpha-amylase in complex with the microbial inhibitor tendamistat. J Mol Biol 247: 99–110. , ,
- 1995. Approaches to labeling and identification of active site residues in glycosidases. Protein Sci 4: 361–372. ,
- 1994. Substitutions for Glu-537 of the β-galactosidase from Escherichia coli cause large decreases in catalytic activity. Biochem J 299: 527–531. , , .
- 1985. Biochemistry of human alpha amylase isoenzymes. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 21: 283–322. , .