Stable proline box motif at the N-terminal end of α-helices
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1999 The Protein Society
Volume 8, Issue 9, pages 1733–1742, 1999
How to Cite
Viguera, A.R. and Serrano, L. (1999), Stable proline box motif at the N-terminal end of α-helices. Protein Science, 8: 1733–1742. doi: 10.1110/ps.8.9.1733
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 MAY 1999
- Manuscript Received: 26 OCT 1998
- 1998. Helix capping. Protein Sci 7: 21–38. , .
- 1994. Rules for alpha-helix termination by glycine. Science 264: 1126–1130. [Published Erratum appears in Science. 1994. 264:1831; see Comments.] , , .
- 1988. Helix geometry in proteins. J Mol Biol 201: 601–619. , .
- 1993. Aromatic side-chain contribution to far-ultraviolet circular dichroism of helical peptides and its effect on measurement of helix propensities. Biochemistry 32: 5560–5565. , , , .
- 1974. Determination of the helix and beta form of proteins in aqueous solution by circular dichroism. Biochemistry 13: 3350–3359. , , .
- 1993. Design of helix ends. Int J Pept Protein Res 41: 499–511. , .
- 1994. Determination of free energies of N-capping in alpha-helices by modification of the Lifson-Roig helix-coil therapy to include N- and C-capping. Biochemistry 33: 3396–3403. , , , .
- 1994. Conformational analysis of the backbone-dependent rotamer preferences of protein sidechains. Nat Struct Biol 1: 334–340. , .
- 1988. Statistical mechanics of chain molecules. Oxford: Oxford University Press. .
- 1989. Calculation of protein extinction coefficients from aminoacid sequences data. Anal Biochem 182: 319–326. , .
- 1991. Efficient computation of three-dimensional protein structures in solution from nuclear magnetic resonance data using the program DIANA and the supporting programs CALIBA, HABAS and GLOMSA. J Mol Biol 217: 517–530. , , .
- 1993. Helix stop signals in proteins and peptides: The capping box. Biochemistry 32: 7605–7609. , .
- 1994. Enlarged representative set of protein structures. Protein Sci 3: 522–524. , .
- 1983. Dictionary of protein secondary structure: Pattern recognition of hydrogen-bonded and geometrical features. Biopolymers 22: 2577–2637. , .
- 1998. Elucidating the folding problem of α-helices: Local motifs, long-range electrostatics, ionic strength dependence and prediction of NMR parameters. J Mol Biol 284: 173–191. , , .
- 1993. Capping interactions in isolated alpha helices: Position-dependent substitution effects and structure of a serine-capped peptide helix. Biochemistry 32: 421–425. , , , , .
- 1995. “Random coil” 1H chemical shifts obtained as a function of temperature and trifluoroethanol concentration for the peptide series GGXGG. J Biomol NMR 5: 14–24. , , .
- 1988. Recurring loop motif in proteins that occurs in right-handed and left-handed forms. Its relationship with alpha-helices and beta-bulge loops. J Mol Biol 199: 503–511. .
- 1995. The hydrophobic-staple motif and a role for loop-residues in alpha-helix stability and protein folding. Nat Struct Biol 2: 380–385. , , .
- 1995a. Analysis of i, i + 5 and i, i + 8 hydrophobic interactions in a helical model peptide bearing the hydrophobic staple motif. Biochemistry 34: 15301–15306. , .
- 1995b. Elucidating the folding problem of helical peptides using empirical parameters. III. Temperature and pH dependence. J Mol Biol 245: 297–308. , .
- 1995c. Helix design, prediction and stability. Curr Opin Biotechnol 6: 382–386. , .
- 1997. Development of the multiple sequence approximation within the AGADIR model of alpha-helix formation: Comparison with Zimm-Bragg and Lifson-Roig formalisms. Biopolymers 41: 495–509. , .
- 1990. Relative helix-forming tendencies of nonpolar amino acids. Nature 344: 268–270. , , , , .
- 1999. Side-chain structures in the first turn of the α-helix. J Mol Biol 287: 127–143. , , .
- 1998. Position dependence of non-polar amino acid intrinsic helical propensities. J Mol Biol 278: 279–289. , , , , .
- 1988. Helix signals in proteins. Science 240: 1632–1641. , .
- 1997. C-capping and helix stability: The Pro C-capping motif. J Mol Biol 274: 276–288. , .
- 1988. Amino acid preferences for specific locations at the ends of alpha helices. Science 240: 1648–1652. [Published Erratum appears in Science. 1988. 242:1624.] , .
- 1980. In: JaenickeR, ed. Protein folding. New York: Elsevier/North Holland. pp 53–61. .
- 1968. Conformational energies and configurational statistics of copolypeptides containing L-proline. J Mol Biol 34: 105–120. , .
- 1994. Sequence determinants of the capping box, a stabilizing motif at the N-termini of alpha-helices. Protein Sci 3: 1741–1745. , , .
- 1995. Comparison between the phi distribution of the amino acids in the protein database and NMR data indicates that amino acids have various phi propensities in the random coil conformation. J Mol Biol 254: 322–333. .
- 1989. Capping and alpha-helix stability. Nature 342: 296–299. , .
- 1998. Protein design: A perspective from simple tractable models [In Process Citation]. Folding Design 3: R45–R58. .
- 1996. Analysis of main chain torsion angles in proteins: Prediction of NMR coupling constants for native and random coil conformations. J Mol Biol 255: 494–506. , , , , , .
- 1995. Intrinsic phi, psi propensities of amino acids, derived from the coil regions of known structures. Nat Struct Biol 2: 596–603. , , .
- 1995a. Experimental analysis of the Schellman motif. J Mol Biol 251: 150–160. , .
- 1995b. Side-chain interactions between sulfur-containing amino acids and phenylalanine in alpha-helices. Biochemistry 34: 8771–8779. , .
- 1990. WHATIF: A molecular modeling and drug design program. J Mol Graph 8: 52–56. .
- 1986. NMR of proteins and nucleic acids. New York: John Wiley & Sons. .