The effects of disulfide bonds on the denatured state of barnase
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2000 The Protein Society
Volume 9, Issue 12, pages 2394–2404, 2000
How to Cite
Clarke, J., Hounslow, A. M., Fersht, A. R., Bond, C. J. and Daggett, V. (2000), The effects of disulfide bonds on the denatured state of barnase. Protein Science, 9: 2394–2404. doi: 10.1110/ps.9.12.2394
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 8 SEP 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 SEP 2000
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUN 2000
- 1994. Towards solving the folding pathway of barnase: The complete backbone 13C, 15N, and 1H NMR assignments of its pH-denatured state. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 9412–9416. , , , , .
- 1995. A comparison of the pH, urea, and temperature-denatured states of barnase by heteronuclear NMR: Implications for the initiation of protein folding. J Mol Biol 254: 305–321. , , , , .
- 1993. Disulfide bonds and the stability of globular proteins. Protein Sci 2: 1551–1558. .
- 1996. Unusual effects of an engineered disulfide on global and local protein stability. Biochemistry 35: 7422–7428. , , , , , .
- 1997. Characterization of residual structure in the thermally denatured state of barnase by simulation and experiment: Description of the folding pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 13409–13413. , , , , .
- 1991. Determination of the three-dimensional solution structure of barnase using nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Biochemistry 30: 8697–701. , , , .
- 1993. Engineered disulfide bonds as probes of the folding pathway of barnase: Increasing the stability of proteins against the rate of denaturation. Biochemistry 32: 4322–4329. , .
- 1995a. Disulfide mutants of barnase. I: Changes in stability and structure assessed by biophysical methods and X-ray crystallography. J Mol Biol 253: 493–504. , , .
- 1993. Local breathing and global unfolding in hydrogen-exchange of barnase and its relationship to protein folding pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 9837–9841. , , , .
- 1995b. Disulfide mutants of barnase. II: Changes in structure and local stability identified by hydrogen exchange. J Mol Biol 253: 505–513. , , .
- 1964. Dithiothreitol, a new protective reagent for SH groups. Biochemistry 3: 480–486. .
- 1986. Disulfide bonds as probes of protein folding pathways. Methods Enzymol 131: 83–106. .
- 1991. A molecular dynamics simulation of polyalanine: An analysis of equilibrium motions and helix-coil transitions. Biopolymers 31: 1115–1134. , , .
- 1997. Characterization of the backbone dynamics of folded and denatured states of an SH3 domain. J Biomol NMR 6: 153–162. , , , .
- 1988. The MIDAS display system. J Mol Graphics 6: 13–27. , , , .
- 1956. Theory of elastic mechanisms in fibrous proteins. J Am Chem Soc 78: 5222–5235. .
- 1990. HMQC-NOESY-HMQC, a 3-dimensional NMR experiment which allows detection of nuclear Over-hauser effects between protons with overlapping signals. J Magn Reson 90: 420–425. , , , .
- 1996. Initiation sites of protein folding by NMR analysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 10600–10603. , , .
- 1984. NBS/NRC steam tables: Thermodynamic and transport properties and computer programs for vapor and liquid states of water in SI units. Washington, DC: Hemisphere Publication Corporation. , , .
- 1996. Engineered disulfide bonds in staphylococcal nuclease–Effects on the stability and conformation of the folded protein. Biochemistry 35: 10328–10338. , , .
- 1993. NACCESS, computer program. London: Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College. , .
- 1992. Stabilities of disulfide bond intermediates in the folding of apamin. Biochemistry 31: 1476–1483. , .
- 1992. Structure of a stabilizing disulfide bridge mutant that closes the active-site cleft of T4 lysozyme. Protein Sci 1: 46–57. , , , .
- 1997. Thermodynamics of denaturation of mutants of barnase with disulfide crosslinks. J Mol Biol 268: 198–208. , , , .
- 1986. The crystallographically determined structures of atypical strained disulfides engineered into subtilisin. J Biol Chem 261: 15480–15485. , .
- 1990. Crystal structures of subtilisin BPN' variants containing disulfide bonds and cavities: Concerted structural re-arrangements induced by mutagenesis. Proteins Struct Funct Genet 7: 343–357. , .
- 1992. Pure absorption gradient enhanced hetero-nuclear single quantum correlation spectroscopy with improved sensitivity. J Am Chem Soc 114: 10663–10665. , , .
- 1967. Precise representation of volume properties of water at one atmosphere. J Chem Eng Data 12: 66–69. .
- 1991. A program to produce both detailed and schematic plots of protein structure. J. Appl Crystallogr 24: 946–950. .
- 1990. ENCAD–Energy calculations and dynamics–Computer programe. Rehovot, Israel: Yeda. .
- 1995. Potential energy function and parameters for simulations of the molecular dynamics of proteins and nucleic acids in solution. Comp Phys Commun 91: 215–231. , , , .
- 1997. Calibration and testing of a water model for simulation of the molecular dynamics of proteins and nucleic acids in solution. J Phys Chem 101: 5051–5061. , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular dynamics simulation of the unfolding of barnase: Characterization of the major intermediate. J Mol Biol 275: 677–698. , .
- 1989. Urea dependence of thiol-disulfide equilibria in thio-redoxin: Confirmation of the linkage relationship and a sensitive assay for structure. Biochemistry 28: 5282–5287. , .
- 1968. Dimensions of protein random coils. Biochemistry 7: 3925–3935. , .
- 1988. Conformational stability and activity of ribonuclease T1 with zero, one and two intact disulfide bonds. J Biol Chem 263: 11820–11825. , , , .
- 1965. Statistical mechanics of noncovalent bonds in polyamino acids. VII. Covalent loops in proteins. Biopolymers 3: 373–399. , .
- 1994. The contribution of vibrational entropy to molecular association: The dimerization of insulin. J Mol Biol 238: 405–414. , .
- 1987. An engineered disulfide bond in dihydrofolate reductase. Biochemistry 26: 2182–2189. , , , , .
- 1991. Reexamination of the folding of BPTI–Predominance of native intermediates. Science 253: 1386–1393. , .
- 2000. Characterization of the structural and dynamic properties of the denatured state of barnase and the role of residual structure in folding. J Mol Biol 296: 1275–1303. , , , , , , .